PDA

View Full Version : Obama Wants to Let Those Pesky Geezers Die

stephanie
06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Isn't that what Socialized health care is all about?

By Matthew Vadum on 6.25.09 @ 2:36PM

In a rare moment of candor, President Obama explained to an audience how government-run healthcare would work in America.

According to the Los Angeles Times:

President Obama suggested at a town hall event Wednesday night that one way to shave medical costs is to stop expensive and ultimately futile procedures performed on people who are about to die and don't stand to gain from the extra care.

In a nationally televised event at the White House, Obama said families need better information so they don't unthinkingly approve "additional tests or additional drugs that the evidence shows is not necessarily going to improve care."

He added: "Maybe you're better off not having the surgery, but taking the painkiller."

Obama said he has personal familiarity with such a dilemma. His grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given less than nine months to live, he said.

She fell and broke her hip, "and the question was, does she get hip replacement surgery, even though she was fragile enough they were not sure how long she would last?" [...]

So, old people: screw you. In the future Uncle Sam will put you on an ice floe and let you float away to your heavenly reward. It gives new meaning to the Latin phrase "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori." (In English, How sweet and glorious it is to die for one's country.)

Medical decisions should be made by patients, their families, and their doctors, not by government bureaucrats, but that's ObamaCare for you.

from and comments..
http://spectator.org/blog/2009/06/25/obama-wants-to-let-those-pesky

Insein
06-25-2009, 03:11 PM
But this can't be accurate. Obama is not a Republican. Only republicans are out to get the elderly, according to every election commercial I've ever seen since 1992.

In all seriousness, how can you tell a family not to try everything they can to save their loved one? Even if its utterly hopeless, people don't want their family to die or live in pain. So who are you to tell them no? I guess the Big Government Care doesn't.

stephanie
06-25-2009, 03:25 PM
A lot of us have had to make this decision, to take our aging parent off support that we saw wasn't going to improve their life.. me just in the last month...Now, can you imagine Your Government stepping in and telling you their time has run out, it is now a waste to try and save them and a waste of money, just let them die...

Kathianne
06-25-2009, 03:29 PM

In a rare moment of candor, President Obama explained to an audience how government-run healthcare would work in America.

President Obama suggested at a town hall event Wednesday night that one way to shave medical costs is to stop expensive and ultimately futile procedures performed on people who are about to die and don't stand to gain from the extra care.

In a nationally televised event at the White House, Obama said families need better information so they don't unthinkingly approve "additional tests or additional drugs that the evidence shows is not necessarily going to improve care."

He added: "Maybe you're better off not having the surgery, but taking the painkiller."

Obama said he has personal familiarity with such a dilemma. His grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given less than nine months to live, he said.

She fell and broke her hip, "and the question was, does she get hip replacement surgery, even though she was fragile enough they were not sure how long she would last?" [...]

So, old people: screw you. In the future Uncle Sam will put you on an ice floe and let you float away to your heavenly reward. It gives new meaning to the Latin phrase "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori." (In English, How sweet and glorious it is to die for one's country.)

Medical decisions should be made by patients, their families, and their doctors, not by government bureaucrats, but that's ObamaCare for you.

from and comments..

So did he go along with hip replacement or not? That's not answered.

I've been through this. When there was 'hope' we chose all possibilities, when there was little, we went for least intrusive. When death was inevitable, we stopped all but pain meds and hydration.

I may run with a more 'elite' crowd, but I don't know of anyone that wanted extraordinary means when there wasn't hope.

Insein
06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
So did he go along with hip replacement or not? That's not answered.

I've been through this. When there was 'hope' we chose all possibilities, when there was little, we went for least intrusive. When death was inevitable, we stopped all but pain meds and hydration.

I may run with a more 'elite' crowd, but I don't know of anyone that wanted extraordinary means when there wasn't hope.

Point is though, that its you and your families decision. Not the governments. If some family wants to cling to hope to the bitter end when its obviously hopeless, then who can tell them no? They pay their premiums and they are entitled to get the care they paid for. When government pays, they decide.

Gaffer
06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
The government has other uses for that SS money besides giving it to old people. They started the system never expecting people to live much past 62, which is why they made the age to be eligible 65.

Euthanasia is right around the corner too.

chloe
06-25-2009, 06:01 PM

from and comments..

yeah that comment really bothered me. Obama hates old people, and the lady explained that her mother saved money getting surgery instead of staying in the hospital at month intervals a few times over. Obama would rather spend more money medicating old people and let them die. Yet he is so big on preventive medicine allst the while smoking his cigarettes. I noticed he also slipped into his plan that insurance companies can't discriminate on pre-existing conditions.