PDA

View Full Version : Creed - back together

-Cp
06-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Here's a few videos from their recent AOL Sessions:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://admin.brightcove.com/js/BrightcoveExperiences.js"></script> <object id="myExperience" class="BrightcoveExperience"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /> <param name="width" value="400" /> <param name="height" value="346" /> <param name="playerID" value="10032373001" /> <param name="publisherID" value="1612833736"/> <param name="isVid" value="true" /> <param name="autoStart" value="false" /> <param name="@videoPlayer" value="27204582001" /> <param name="linkBaseURL" value="http://music.aol.com/video/higher-sessions/creed/bc:27204582001" /> </object>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://admin.brightcove.com/js/BrightcoveExperiences.js"></script> <object id="myExperience" class="BrightcoveExperience"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /> <param name="width" value="400" /> <param name="height" value="346" /> <param name="playerID" value="10032373001" /> <param name="publisherID" value="1612833736"/> <param name="isVid" value="true" /> <param name="autoStart" value="false" /> <param name="@videoPlayer" value="27201077001" /> <param name="linkBaseURL" value="http://music.aol.com/video/my-own-prison-sessions/creed/bc:27201077001" /> </object>

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://admin.brightcove.com/js/BrightcoveExperiences.js"></script> <object id="myExperience" class="BrightcoveExperience"> <param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /> <param name="width" value="400" /> <param name="height" value="346" /> <param name="playerID" value="10032373001" /> <param name="publisherID" value="1612833736"/> <param name="isVid" value="true" /> <param name="autoStart" value="false" /> <param name="@videoPlayer" value="27204090001" /> <param name="linkBaseURL" value="http://music.aol.com/video/my-sacrifice-sessions/creed/bc:27204090001" /> </object>

PostmodernProphet
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
been a revival of other early Christian rock bands recently....ten-twenty years ago there was no market for their songs....now they are being rediscovered.....

-Cp
06-26-2009, 06:48 PM
been a revival of other early Christian rock bands recently....ten-twenty years ago there was no market for their songs....now they are being rediscovered.....

What does the news of Creed have to do w/ Christian Rock Bands revivals?

jackass
06-26-2009, 07:26 PM
What does the news of Creed have to do w/ Christian Rock Bands revivals?

Seriously?? Creed is a christian band. Just listen to the lyrics.

-Cp
06-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Sure they are....

What makes a band "christian"?

PostmodernProphet
06-26-2009, 08:00 PM
Like...
Faceless Man lyrics
I spent a day by the river
It was quiet and the wind stood still
I spent some time with nature
To remind me of all that's real
It's funny how silence speaks sometimes when you're alone
And remember that you feel
I said it's funny how silence speaks sometimes when you're alone
And remember that you feel
Again I stand, Lord I stand,
against the Faceless Man
against the Faceless Man

Now I saw a face on the water
It looked humble but willing to fight
I saw the will of a warrior
His yoke is easy and His burden is light

He looked me right in the eyes
Direct and concise to remind me
To always do what's right
He looked me right in the eyes
Direct and concise to remind me
To always do what's right

Again I stand. Lord I stand,
against the Faceless Man
Again I stand. Lord, God I stand,
against the Faceless Man

'Cause if the face inside can't see the light
I know I'll have to walk alone
And if I walk alone to the other side
I know I might not make it home

against the Faceless Man
against the Faceless Man

Next time I see this face
I'll say I choose to live for always
So won't you come inside And never go away
Next time I see this face
I'll say I choose to live for always
So won't you come inside And never go away

against the Faceless Man
against the Faceless Man
against the Faceless Man

PostmodernProphet
06-26-2009, 08:06 PM
or
Unforgiven lyrics
I kept up
With the prophecy you spoke
I kept up with the message inside
Lost sight of the irony
Of twisted faith
Lost sight of my soul and its void
Think I'm unforgiven to this world
Took a chance at deceiving myself
To share in the consequence of lies
Childish with my
Reasoning and pride
Godless to the extent that I died
Think I'm unforgiven to this world
Think I'm unforgiven
Step inside the light and see the fear
Of God burn inside of me
The gold was put to flame
To kill, to burn, to mold its purity

PostmodernProphet
06-26-2009, 08:07 PM
Sure they are....

/shrugs.....the same thing that makes plumbers and lawyers Christians.....

PostmodernProphet
06-26-2009, 08:12 PM
from My Own Prison

I hear a thunder in the distance
See a vision of a cross
I feel the pain that was given
On that sad day of loss
A lion roars in the darkness
Only he holds the key
A light to free me from my burden
And grant me life eternally

just think, all that time you were being evangelized and you never realized it....../grins......

chloe
06-27-2009, 11:35 AM
christian rock:thumb:

jackass
06-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Sure they are....

Lyrics.

I love Creed, I think they rock, but I would call them a Christian band.

-Cp
06-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Lyrics.

I love Creed, I think they rock, but I would call them a Christian band.

Did the few "gospel" records that Elvis release make him a "Christian recording artist"?

-Cp
06-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Fyi Prophet, I know all their lyrics... but ty! :)

PostmodernProphet
06-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Did the few "gospel" records that Elvis release make him a "Christian recording artist"?

Elvis made gospel records because there was a market for them, he had to 'create' rock and roll before there was anyone to buy the records.....

Creed made rock and roll albums for people who knew rock and roll music.....they weren't marketing themselves to Christian radio stations and Christian music stores....there simply wasn't much of a market for Christian rock at the time.....they had a choice what lyrics to use......and you can see what they chose.....

-Cp
06-29-2009, 04:33 AM
Elvis made gospel records because there was a market for them, he had to 'create' rock and roll before there was anyone to buy the records.....

Creed made rock and roll albums for people who knew rock and roll music.....they weren't marketing themselves to Christian radio stations and Christian music stores....there simply wasn't much of a market for Christian rock at the time.....they had a choice what lyrics to use......and you can see what they chose.....

You're avoiding the question...

What makes Creed a Christian band? Lyrics - I'm sorry - do not make a band "christian"..

PostmodernProphet
06-29-2009, 06:57 AM

What makes Creed a Christian band? Lyrics - I'm sorry - do not make a band "christian"..

?????.....being a Christian and communicating your beliefs through your music makes you a "Christian" rock band.....as opposed, for example, to being a Christian and communicating Satanism, which would merely make you really messed up......or communicating nothing different from any other rock band, which would simply make you a rock band......

so, are you suggesting that Creed is not "Christian" even though they communicated Christianity (ie also messed up) or are you suggesting their music isn't communicating Christian beliefs?.......

jackass
06-29-2009, 09:08 AM

So to you what makes a Christian band if lyrics doesnt?

-Cp
06-29-2009, 11:20 AM
So to you what makes a Christian band if lyrics doesnt?

"Christian bands" are normally thought of as those bands whose members are all Christians and they have an evangelical message and a mission of ministry - i.e. to "reach the lost".

PostmodernProphet
06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
"Christian bands" are normally thought of as those bands whose members are all Christians and they have an evangelical message and a mission of ministry - i.e. to "reach the lost".

and how does a band "have an evangelical message" except through it's lyrics?.....

-Cp
06-29-2009, 04:58 PM
and how does a band "have an evangelical message" except through it's lyrics?.....

Because they have a mission to preach the gospel and try and make more Christians - Creed has never had that..

In fact, they've always firmly stated that they are NOT a "christian band"..

CrimsonWhite
06-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Creed has never called itself a Christian rock band. I have personally seen Scott Stapp on stage blitzed out of his mind. Their lyrics deal with monotheistic concepts like faith and eternity, but that doesn't make them Christian.

-Cp
06-29-2009, 09:49 PM
creed has never called itself a christian rock band. I have personally seen scott stapp on stage blitzed out of his mind. Their lyrics deal with monotheistic concepts like faith and eternity, but that doesn't make them christian.

thank you!!

PostmodernProphet
06-29-2009, 09:50 PM
thank you!!

really bothered you that I called them Christians.....did you like them less because of it?......you make it sound like I accused them of having AIDS or something.....

PostmodernProphet
06-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Creed has never called itself a Christian rock band. I have personally seen Scott Stapp on stage blitzed out of his mind. Their lyrics deal with monotheistic concepts like faith and eternity, but that doesn't make them Christian.

ah, so if he was blitzed he obviously doesn't believe in Christ.....

monotheistic concepts like faith and eternity.....

I hear a thunder in the distance
See a vision of a cross
I feel the pain that was given
On that sad day of loss
A lion roars in the darkness
Only he holds the key
A light to free me from my burden
And grant me life eternally

yeah, I'm sure he was thinking of some other cross......

PostmodernProphet
06-29-2009, 10:02 PM
In fact, they've always firmly stated that they are NOT a "christian band"..
ah, should be easy to provide a link for that then....."firm" statements likely got quoted somewhere, right?.....

-Cp
06-29-2009, 10:06 PM

monotheistic concepts like faith and eternity.....

Since you love quoting their lyrics, here are some from their song: What's this life for?"

But they ain't here anymore
Don't have to settle no god damn score
cause we all live
under the reign

-Cp
06-29-2009, 10:08 PM
ah, should be easy to provide a link for that then....."firm" statements likely got quoted somewhere, right?.....

"We are not a Christian band. This is a question we are asked a lot because of some of the references made in the lyrics. A Christian band has an agenda to lead others to believe in their specific religious beliefs. We have no agenda!"
-Scott Stapp

-Cp
06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
It's really hard to get rid of the labels. Even on our webpage we explain that we're not a Christian band. A lot of people got the misconception because Scott uses a lot of biblical references and idioms. He grew up reading the bible and having religion forced down his throat. Of course he uses religious imagery in his lyrics. Isn't it normal to use what you know best if you're trying to express yourself? But our first album, My Own Prison dealt with different themes. Human Clay has a far more universal scope; it's less introspective, worldlier.
-Mark Tremonti

http://www.nyrock.com/interviews/creed_int2.htm

jackass
06-29-2009, 10:32 PM
If it walks like a duck...

CrimsonWhite
06-30-2009, 12:39 AM

A band that would consider themselves christian rock would obviously try not to be blitzed while on stage. That was my point. He may very well be a christian, good for him. George Strait is a self proclaimed christian, is hi music christian country? No. The proper term for Creed's music would be post grunge.

Ozzy Osbourne's song deal with the same concepts as Creed. Does that make his music christian rock as well? Lyrics can deal with monotheistic concepts without being actually christian rock. (ie. LIVE) Especially since I belive in order to be christian rock, the message would have to be more overt.

-Cp
06-30-2009, 01:42 AM
A band that would consider themselves christian rock would obviously try not to be blitzed while on stage. That was my point. He may very well be a christian, good for him. George Strait is a self proclaimed christian, is hi music christian country? No. The proper term for Creed's music would be post grunge.

Ozzy Osbourne's song deal with the same concepts as Creed. Does that make his music christian rock as well? Lyrics can deal with monotheistic concepts without being actually christian rock. (ie. LIVE) Especially since I belive in order to be christian rock, the message would have to be more overt.

By PostmodernProphet's logic, going to McDonald's should make you a hamburger from walking into one..

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Since you love quoting their lyrics, here are some from their song: What's this life for?"

But they ain't here anymore
Don't have to settle no god damn score
cause we all live
under the reign

damned if I know.....

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 07:11 AM
"We are not a Christian band. This is a question we are asked a lot because of some of the references made in the lyrics. A Christian band has an agenda to lead others to believe in their specific religious beliefs. We have no agenda!"
-Scott Stapp

link please....not that I agree with this definition of "Christian band".......

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Ozzy Osbourne's song deal with the same concepts as Creed. Does that make his music christian rock as well?

/shrugs....what did Ozzy say about the cross?.....

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 07:18 AM
A band that would consider themselves christian rock would obviously try not to be blitzed while on stage.

/shrugs....and a Christian alcoholic tries not to drink......

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 07:20 AM
By PostmodernProphet's logic, going to McDonald's should make you a hamburger from walking into one..

and quite obviously, by your logic, being a "Christian band" should make you less of a musician.......perhaps the band shared your logic and feared the label would keep folks like you from buying their albums.......

-Cp
06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
link please....not that I agree with this definition of "Christian band".......

MTV: Because of the misconception that Creed were a Christian rock band, are you worried that having your first solo material appear on an album of songs inspired by "The Passion of the Christ" is going to continue that misunderstanding?

Stapp: It's ironic, because I started off in a Christian home, and then I ran from it when I was 17. Then Creed got the Christian tag, and here I am launching my solo career with a song on The Passion of the Christ album.

Creed was never Christian rock. I wrote a lot about my doubts and fears and my past, and people took what I wrote — if they had Christian ears — and heard it as Christian rock songs. I was just using music to deal with things that were going on in my life. I was questioning and confronting my past.

When people started calling us a Christian rock band, we didn't know why. Initially, Mark, Scott and Brian were kind of upset with me because I think they thought I had some kind of agenda. They weren't raised in that environment. They just wanted to be in a rock band.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/s/stapp_scott/news_feature_080904/index3.jhtml

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 04:16 PM
bingo....from your link....

Stapp: The whole Christian [rock] thing. That was thrown on us, and we didn't even talk about it. And that kind of affected how the media looked at me. Like, "That guy thinks he's better than everyone."

like you, the media looked down on them if they were a "Christian" rock band.....

-Cp
06-30-2009, 04:32 PM
bingo....from your link....

like you, the media looked down on them if they were a "Christian" rock band.....

And also the point that you obviously ignored:

Creed was never Christian rock. I wrote a lot about my doubts and fears and my past, and people took what I wrote — if they had Christian ears — and heard it as Christian rock songs. I was just using music to deal with things that were going on in my life. I was questioning and confronting my past.

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 05:51 PM
And also the point that you obviously ignored:

because I don't accept his and your definition of "Christian rock band"....

Stapp: No, because I'm not evangelical. I'm not doing this to try to preach this to people or to try to make people believe in what I believe in. I'm not handing out Bibles at my shows....

instead, as he says "not all of my [solo] songs are going to be about my spiritual life. It's a part of my life.".....when you have songs which ARE about your spiritual life and you are communicating Christianity, you are a Christian musician.....