PDA

View Full Version : Reparations Disclaimer on Slavery Apology Stirs Backlash Among House Dems

red states rule
06-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Get ready to ante up for this folks.

The left is going to try and make todays America pay for yesterdays mistakes.

Reparations Disclaimer on Slavery Apology Stirs Backlash Among House Dems

A disclaimer at the end of this month's Senate resolution offering an apology for slavery deals with the touchy issue of reparations, and is causing some dissension among House Democrats that may prevent the two chambers from coming together on the measure.

The disclaimer says: "Nothing in this resolution (A) authorizes or supports any claim against the United States or (B) serves as a settlement of any claim against the United States."

That means the resolution cannot be used by descendants of slaves to sue the government for reparations or payments to compensate for slavery.

The language has irritated some members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

"I would not want to have any language in place that would deny anyone, any citizen, the right to address a grievance," said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas.

"I feel that some method other than just an apology should be made. People should be made whole," Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said.

But other House Democrats, including Rep. Steve Cohen -- a white congressman from a majority black district in Tennessee who sponsored the House version -- say they don't have a problem with the Senate disclaimer.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/29/reparations-disclaimer-slavery-apology-stirs-backlash-house-dems/

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 07:24 AM
sucks to be black.....they will finally get reparations just before the country goes bankrupt due to the spending of our first black president......

red states rule
06-30-2009, 07:35 AM
sucks to be black.....they will finally get reparations just before the country goes bankrupt due to the spending of our first black president......

If it's reparations the left wants, they should tell the Dems to pony up the cash (no checks since they could bounce), and leave the rest of us the hell out of it.

Some Dems have said the Dem party does not want reperations, that the rightwing made that scare tactic up - yet we have this language in a Dem written bill

The Congressional Black Caucus are modern day race pimps much like Jesse Jackson and Rev Al

Monkeybone
06-30-2009, 08:01 AM
"I would not want to have any language in place that would deny anyone, any citizen, the right to address a grievance," said Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas.

"I feel that some method other than just an apology should be made. People should be made whole," Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said.

This is kinda what bothers me.....what grievance? Honestly, what now a days could they complain about? That ancestors, who knows how far back, may have been slaves? How are they not being made whole? Technically aren't we all ready giving them reparations. I mean, I don't jobs or into colleges becasue I have Irish heritage. If you can't use what's given to you to better yourself, then oh well.

red states rule
06-30-2009, 08:09 AM
This is kinda what bothers me.....what grievance? Honestly, what now a days could they complain about? That ancestors, who knows how far back, may have been slaves? How are they not being made whole? Technically aren't we all ready giving them reparations. I mean, I don't jobs or into colleges becasue I have Irish heritage. If you can't use what's given to you to better yourself, then oh well.

This all goes along with the Obama's "spread the wealth around" argument

Why get money you didn't earn? Why get money you didn't suffer for? One of the Lib senators argues that these reperations will make people "whole".

What the hell does that mean? Who is alive today and was made less whole by slavery?

PostmodernProphet
06-30-2009, 09:42 AM
the Depression was brought about because the government failed to deal with the problems in the economy.....we need reparations.....

our children will have to deal with the mess Congress is creating right now.....they need reparations......

red states rule
06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
the Depression was brought about because the government failed to deal with the problems in the economy.....we need reparations.....

our children will have to deal with the mess Congress is creating right now.....they need reparations......

If Obama gets his way not only will our children have to deal with the mess, but our grandchildren, and perhaps even our great grandchildren

You know full well how hard it is to reverse the effects of, let alone cancel out, government programs

chesswarsnow
06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But if there are any actual slaves still living, I think we should pay them at least a million dollars.
2. Doubt anyone can step forward though.
3. Also there is a huge population of black folks already on the *Public Dole*.
4. Which is a form of reparations, I would think.:salute:
5. I can't see this gettting any real traction.
6. Problem is, when you shell out reparations, people tend to fold their hands and grab a bottle, look what the American Indians tend to do.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

red states rule
06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But if there are any actual slaves still living, I think we should pay them at least a million dollars.
2. Doubt anyone can step forward though.
3. Also there is a huge population of black folks already on the *Public Dole*.
4. Which is a form of reparations, I would think.:salute:
5. I can't see this gettting any real traction.
6. Problem is, when you shell out reparations, people tend to fold their hands and grab a bottle, look what the American Indians tend to do.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I fully support paying reparations to former slaves. They're all dead and buried? Awwwww shucks!

Mr. P
06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Give every "former" slave their 40 acres an a mule, buy em a one way ticket to their country of origin and be done with it.

It just more race BS.

red states rule
06-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Give every "former" slave their 40 acres an a mule, buy em a one way ticket to their country of origin and be done with it.

It just more race BS.

Tell me Mr P, lets say Dems grant $50,000 to every black person in the US as payment

If you are half black and say half white - do only get $25,000?

If their ancestors came to America AFTER slavery was abolished - do they get anything at all?

And can Obama hit the Chinese up for the few trillions needed to pay the bill? :laugh2: