PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Backing Obama's Health Care Plan In Part

Kathianne
07-01-2009, 06:57 AM
The left is all over this, claiming victory. Some perspective:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/What--49538182.html

Many, many links:

Matt Yglesias rewrites history to make Wal-Mart embrace of big government seem surprising

By: Timothy P. Carney
Examiner Columnist
06/30/09 5:51 PM EDT

Wal-Mart has announced support for a federal mandate that employers provide some sort of health insurance for workers. Liberal blogger Matt Yglesias brags that his employer, the Center for American Progress, helped bring this about. Yglesias celebrates this as a sign of Obamian Change:

The highly ideological behavior of the business community, and high degree of class solidarity exhibited by the executive class, has been a hugely important element of the story of American politics over the past thirty years or so. The willingness of much of the business community to break with Chamber ideology on Waxman-Markey and now on health care is an important sign of change in the air.

This is, of course, absurd. Wal-Mart's support for this regulation is new, but times have not changed. Wal-Mart, remember, joined labor unions in lobbying for a hike in the minimum wage, and a Wal-Mart executive testified before Congress in favor of cap-and-trade years ago.

And "The highly ideological behavior of the business community"? What in the world is Yglesias talking about? The Chamber of Commerce's endorsement of Obama's stimulus plan? Or the fact that Barney Frank scored higher on the Chamber's score card than did Ron Paul?

What does Yglesias make of Philip Morris's decade-long campaign for tobacco regulation, or Mattel's 2007-08 full-court press for toy-safety rules?....

Monkeybone
07-01-2009, 07:36 AM
This is really no surprise. Wal-Mart makes it very very hard to get insurance from them. When I used to work there, they kept me one hour under the time that I needed to quailify. Great place Wally World....great place.