PDA

View Full Version : Divers seek 2 missing from Greece cruise

glockmail
04-10-2007, 12:04 PM
ATHENS, Greece — Navy divers searched the sunken wreckage of a cruise ship on Friday for the bodies of a Frenchman and his daughter who disappeared after the vessel foundered on a volcanic reef — the only two people missing despite what passengers described as a chaotic evacuation in the Aegean Sea.

Nearly 1,600 people were retrieved from the sinking ship in a three-hour rescue operation, but some passengers complained of an insufficient supply of life vests, little guidance from crew members and being forced into a steep climb down rope-ladders to safety.

A kid from my son's scout troop was on this. We heard the real story from his Dad last nght. Probably another drunk captain. Two dead and millions in ship and cargo.

Gaffer
04-10-2007, 07:21 PM
A kid from my son's scout troop was on this. We heard the real story from his Dad last nght. Probably another drunk captain. Two dead and millions in ship and cargo.

When you can give us more information on it.

glockmail
04-10-2007, 08:44 PM
When you can give us more information on it. The Captain was way of course; not simply on the edge of the marked chanel and veered off course, but well outside the channel. My freind was on deck and felt the shudder, but thought it was just a thruster motor, that is until the boat started to list. It listeed, went back upright, then listed over again and kept going. By the time they got off the deck was at 45 degrees.

The crew was usesless; what should have taken 30 minutes took 3 hours. The passengers were basically on their own. The ship was 20 years old, recently refurbished, whick meant all the lifeboat gear was painted over; the cables were painted and not lubricated. Our freinds were part of a school group, and several adults went below to bang on doors to wake people up and get them out. The two missing were in the lower part of the ship near the breech, and probably drowned quickly; a 16 year old French girl and her Dad. Her Mom was with them but got out real fast. Her brother was on deck when this happened.

Gaffer
04-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info Glock. I can see why the captain and others are being held and charged. I'm begining to think taking sea cruises is not a good idea anymore. Sounds like it could have turned into a Titanic type situation. That's a lot more info than the media is putting out.