PDA

View Full Version : Megachurch Pastor Rick Warren Addresses U.S. Muslims

-Cp
07-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Good for Rick...

WASHINGTON — Evangelical megachurch pastor Rick Warren says America's largest Islamic organization showed courage when it invited him to speak at its annual convention.

Warren is the founder of Saddleback Community Church in Orange County, California, and one of the most prominent religious leaders in the U.S. He addressed the annual convention of the Islamic Society of North America on Saturday night.

He says the two largest faiths on the planet — Muslims and Christians — must work together to combat stereotypes, promote peace and freedom and solve global problems.

Warren's willingness to show support for U.S. Muslims is a huge gain for the community, which has endured intense scrutiny since 9/11. The pastor's appearance at the convention was criticized ahead of time by some fellow conservative Christians.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530083,00.html?test=latestnews

chesswarsnow
07-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. But in my opinion Islam isn't a good field to be located in.
2. Leads a soul into darkness.
3. Draws lines to seperate all humans, even men from women, which isn't logical.
4. Binds people to a black box, with no life.
5. Christians are bound to the cross, a cross where our salvation was secured, where etenal life resides.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

-Cp
07-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But in my opinion Islam isn't a good field to be located in.
2. Leads a soul into darkness.
3. Draws lines to seperate all humans, even men from women, which isn't logical.
4. Binds people to a black box, with no life.
5. Christians are bound to the cross, a cross where our salvation was secured, where etenal life resides.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. God isn't willing that ANYONE would perish but have eternal life
2. Romans 5:18 Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men.
3. (1 John 2:2) He was sent for one purpose and that is to be the Savior of the world. (1 John 4:14) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (1 Tim 2:4)
4. My dad recently went through heart surgery - the first people to reach out and help him in his recovery happened to be muslim.
5. I suggest you stop listening to the conservative stereotypes.

chesswarsnow
07-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. God isn't willing that ANYONE would perish but have eternal life*Unwilling that people have to go into hell,, but he isn't into forcing people to believe in Jesus Christ either.*
2. Romans 5:18 Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. *Not a blanket justification, where did you learn that?*
3. (1 John 2:2) He was sent for one purpose and that is to be the Savior of the world. (1 John 4:14) Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. (1 Tim 2:4) *Sure but does everyone come to this knowledge?* answer is *No*
4. My dad recently went through heart surgery - the first people to reach out and help him in his recovery happened to be muslim.*So didn't you support your father in his recovery, I think you are Christian, thats a strange statement if so???*
5. I suggest you stop listening to the conservative stereotypes.*Fact is, not everyone gets saved, its sad, but true.*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

-Cp
07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
*Fact is, not everyone gets saved, its sad, but true.*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

*Quote scripture and not platitudes, please...

chesswarsnow
07-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But as much as I would like to go search scriptures in order to change your perspective, I will decline.
2. I hate to prove a negative, I know its a fact there is a hell, and people get sent there.
3. Its an basic tenant of the Bible, if you don't believe it, I don't know what to tell you.
4. I do hope your father is doing well.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

-Cp
07-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But as much as I would like to go search scriptures in order to change your perspective, I will decline.
2. I hate to prove a negative, I know its a fact there is a hell, and people get sent there.
3. Its an basic tenant of the Bible, if you don't believe it, I don't know what to tell you.
4. I do hope your father is doing well.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. Again, the gross, sheep-like following the evangelicals is amazing
2. They can't provide concrete scriptures (in context).
3. You're right, there is a Hell (OT is the Grave and NT is Gehenna outside Jeruselem - look it up)
4. Thanks - he's coming along.. appreciate it..

chloe
07-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Good for Rick...

WASHINGTON — Evangelical megachurch pastor Rick Warren says America's largest Islamic organization showed courage when it invited him to speak at its annual convention.

Warren is the founder of Saddleback Community Church in Orange County, California, and one of the most prominent religious leaders in the U.S. He addressed the annual convention of the Islamic Society of North America on Saturday night.

He says the two largest faiths on the planet — Muslims and Christians — must work together to combat stereotypes, promote peace and freedom and solve global problems.

Warren's willingness to show support for U.S. Muslims is a huge gain for the community, which has endured intense scrutiny since 9/11. The pastor's appearance at the convention was criticized ahead of time by some fellow conservative Christians.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530083,00.html?test=latestnews

seems like a nice christian gesture.

chesswarsnow
07-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

1. Again, the gross, sheep-like following the evangelicals is amazing
2. They can't provide concrete scriptures (in context).
3. You're right, there is a Hell (OT is the Grave and NT is Gehenna outside Jeruselem - look it up)
4. Thanks - he's coming along.. appreciate it..

1. I'm Catholic, but I do respect the evangelicals.
2. If your in such a hurry to get rid of Hell, can you also be sure there is a Heaven?
3. Jesus spoke of there being a hell, where people that being sent there, would be in torment and nashing of teeth, where the worm dieth not.
4. Sounds like a living hell to me, where the fires are not quenched too.
5. Well if you don't believe Jesus, you sure ain't gonna believe me.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
07-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry bout that,

seems like a nice christian gesture.

1. If he can help some of them, he does well, if none, at least he tried.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

-Cp
07-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I'm Catholic, but I do respect the evangelicals.
2. If your in such a hurry to get rid of Hell, can you also be sure there is a Heaven?
3. Jesus spoke of there being a hell, where people that being sent there, would be in torment and nashing of teeth, where the worm dieth not.
4. Sounds like a living hell to me, where the fires are not quenched too.
5. Well if you don't believe Jesus, you sure ain't gonna believe me.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. Great
2. You're right, Christ did in fact speak a few times about Gehenna... the trash-dump outside of Jeruselem.
3. f Hell is real and it is a place of eternally being separated from God, why does David say in the King James Bible, "Though I make my bed in Hell (Sheol) lo, Thou art there? (Again please note, most Christian Bibles NO LONGER have the word "Hell" in the Old Testament. The KJV written over 350 years ago is an exception. The Jews do NOT put the word "Hell" in their English translations of the Hebrew Scriptures, that is, the Old Testament and the leading English Christian Bibles have removed it because it is NOT in the originals. Most Christian scholars now acknowledge it should never have been placed there in the first place.)
4. If Hell is real and if good people go to heaven and bad people go to Hell, why does EVERYONE, good or bad, go to the same place in the Old Testament? They ALL go to Sheol which the King James Version translated "Hell" thirty-0ne times, "grave" thirty-one times and "pit" three times? Are we all destined to go to Hell or did the King's translators make some gross translation errors?
5. If Hell is real, since SOME English translations use the word Hell for the Greek word "Gehenna," in the New Testament, why didn't this same place (Gehenna) get translated Hell in the many places where it appears in the Hebrew form "ga ben Hinnom" in the Old Testament? If the Jews did not understand this valley as a symbol of everlasting torture, why do SOME English translations give this word such a meaning? And who burned who in this valley? And what was God's response for Israel doing such a horrible thing to their children? (Jer. 32:33-35) And how could God say "such a thing never entered His mind" if in fact He is going to do the very same thing to most of His own children?
6. If Hell was real, why did the early church appoint an avowed universalist as the President of the second council of the church in Constantinople in the fourth century? (Gregory Nazianzen, 325-381)
7. If Hell was real and a place of no escape, why did the early church teach Jesus went to Hell (Hades), preached to them and led captivity captive? (Eph. 4:8,9; Psalm 68:18; 1 Peter 3:18-20)
8. If Hell as a place of everlasting tortures was the real fate of all mankind unless they did something here on earth to prevent it, why didn't God make that warning plain right at the beginning of the Bible? God said the penalty for eating of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was DEATH. He did NOT define death as eternal life being forever tortured in burning fire and brimstone.
9. If Hell was real why didn't Moses warn about this fate in the Ten Commandments or the Mosaic Covenant consisting of over 600 laws, ordinances, and warnings? The Mosaic Law simply stated blessings and cursings IN THIS LIFETIME for failure to keep the Mosaic Law.
10. If Hell is real and describes a real place, why does the English word "Hell" come from a pagan source instead of the ancient Hebrew writings of the Bible? Why is the word "Hell" not found in the Jew's Bible which is the Christian's Old Testament? Furthermore, the word "Hell" has completely disappeared from the Old Testament Scriptures in most leading Bibles. Why? Because the best scholarship demands it. (The word "Hell" comes from the Teutonic "Hele" goddess of the underworld "Hell" of northern Europe . The description of this ancient mythological place has very little resemblance anymore to the modern Christian image of Hell. See any Encyclopedia or dictionary for the origin of the word.) Seeing that the Bible is supposed to be "Holy," why have pagan religious words been added to our modern English Bibles? Please understand, the English word "Hell" and its concepts are NOT in the Hebrew nor Greek. They come into the English through Northern European mythologies, NOT from the roots of Christianity.

chesswarsnow
07-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. You must be a Jehovah Wirness, I understand they have been trying to get rid of hell for years.
2. I don't buy into it.
3. Even with your long post
4. I understand that people are a bit uncomfortable about there being a hell, and prefer not to have one.
5. But I don't think it can be ignored.
6. I understand, hell, who wouldn't want to get rid of hell?
7. No concern that eternal torment is just a dream.
8. I would'nt bet on it though.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

-Cp
07-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. You must be a Jehovah Wirness, I understand they have been trying to get rid of hell for years.
2. I don't buy into it.
3. Even with your long post
4. I understand that people are a bit uncomfortable about there being a hell, and prefer not to have one.
5. But I don't think it can be ignored.
6. I understand, hell, who wouldn't want to get rid of hell?
7. No concern that eternal torment is just a dream.
8. I would'nt bet on it though.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry about that,

1. Never been a Jehovah Witness
2. Trying my best to cling to truth and not platitutes
3. Ever striving to learn what the Bible REALLY says rather than being spoon-fed it.
4. I think it's funny how you NEVER use ANY scripture to back up your views.
5. If Hell was real and all died NOT because of their transgressions but because of Adam's transgression (Rom 5:18), why do many Christians not see what is plainly written, that "even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to ALL MEN, resulting in JUSTIFICATION OF LIFE!" (Rom. 5:18) This Scripture declares the FACT that all are justified due to Christ's righteous act. No one "decided" to die in Adam, it was "reckoned" to us. Equally no one "decided" to "receive eternal life," it is also "reckoned" to us. (A thorough understanding of Romans Chapter five carefully comparing several English translations would be a very good exercise. The omission of the definite article "the" in Rom. 5:15 before the word "many" in some translations has caused some great misunderstanding of this most important chapter of the Bible.)

chesswarsnow
07-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. For one thing I have no horse in this race.
2. Wether I prove to you that there's a hell or not, it isn't important to me.
3. Your finding comfort that hell doesn't exsist!
4. I have no earthly reason to take this away from you.
5, If you have found Jesus Christ, then you will not find yourself in hell.
6. If you have not, then you will be surprised as hell.
7. Either way, you will discover from what seed you were grown from, when that day comes.
8. Just curious, do you think everyone goes to heaven?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

-Cp
07-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. For one thing I have no horse in this race.
2. Wether I prove to you that there's a hell or not, it isn't important to me.
3. Your finding comfort that hell doesn't exsist!
4. I have no earthly reason to take this away from you.
5, If you have found Jesus Christ, then you will not find yourself in hell.
6. If you have not, then you will be surprised as hell.
7. Either way, you will discover from what seed you were grown from, when that day comes.
8. Just curious, do you think everyone goes to heaven?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I do believe that God will ultimately reconcile all of his creation to himself - it's very clearly spelled out in the Bible..

I'm not convinced of a place called "heaven" - I do, however, believe that God will eventually restore the Earth to be "heaven-like"... and wherever he is, as long as I can be with him - that's all I could ever hope for.. :)

chesswarsnow
07-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Sorry bout that,

I do believe that God will ultimately reconcile all of his creation to himself - it's very clearly spelled out in the Bible..

I'm not convinced of a place called "heaven" - I do, however, believe that God will eventually restore the Earth to be "heaven-like"... and wherever he is, as long as I can be with him - that's all I could ever hope for.. :)

1. No heaven?
2. No Hell?
3. I wonder if you can?
4. Above us only sky.
5. Imagine all the people.
6. Sharing all the world.:laugh2:
7. Well I think I've heard that song before.:laugh2:
8. I can see you interpret the Bible to an exclusive view.
9. Which can lead to much errors.
10. And tend to stifle growth, and bring hardships, untold.
11. So in your view, everyone ever born will get into heaven, or into eternal life here on earth with Jesus when this age is over?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas