PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Serial killer's fifth victim dies

chloe
07-05-2009, 07:40 AM
GAFFNEY, S.C. — A teenage girl shot while helping her father in their family's small furniture and appliance store died Saturday, becoming the fifth victim of a suspected serial killer terrorizing a small South Carolina community, authorities said.

Abby Tyler, 15, died about 11:15 a.m. at a Spartanburg hospital after fighting for her life for two days, Cherokee County Coroner Dennis Fowler said.
Tyler was wounded and her father was killed Thursday as they worked to close the Tyler Home Center near downtown Gaffney.
County Sheriff Bill Blanton said investigators believe the killings are linked and the search is on for a suspected male serial killer. An 83-year-old mother and her daughter were shot to death Wednesday, and a 63-year-old peach farmer was found dead at his home a week ago.
Blanton said all the victims were shot, but he would not say how the deaths were linked. The shootings all occurred within about 10 miles of each other in Cherokee County, a rural community of 54,000 people set amid peach orchards and farms some 50 miles west of Charlotte, N.C.
The spree had alarmed residents canceling Independence Day holiday plans and arming themselves. The sheriff has warned door-to-door salesmen to stop knocking and anyone who breaks down on the county's rural roads to wait instead of walking to a house for help because he worries "people are going to start shooting at shadows."
The killings began a week ago Saturday when the wife of 63-year-old peach farmer Kline Cash found him dead in their home. Then last Wednesday, relatives found 83-year-old Hazel Linder and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, bound and shot to death in a separate shooting at Linder's home.
Dozens of local, state and federal investigators were assigned to the case when the killings were linked. But a day later, the killer struck again, less than a half-mile from the sheriff's office serving as the headquarters for the investigation, killing 48-year-old Stephen Tyler and his daughter.
"We're knee-deep in the investigation," Blanton said Sunday. "There's fear and concern here and there should be concern."
Investigators have released a sketch of the suspect, saying he is in his 40s, with salt and pepper hair, about 6-foot-2, and roughly 200 pounds. They think he is driving a silver 1991-1994 Ford Explorer.

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090704/NEWS/907040323

Jeff
07-05-2009, 08:08 AM
I was coming down Interstate 85 the other night and had no idea that this was going on, I came up on the rest area just North of Gaffney and there were more police there than I think I have ever seen in one place, they had dogs, and were searching the woods, Having lived in SC I feel very strongly they will find this guy and I am sure he will of had a gun, lol , SC don't play, they will get him

jackass
07-05-2009, 11:54 AM
WOW! I live in SC and this is the first time I have heard of this!! Shows how much I watch the news huh??

Jeff
07-05-2009, 12:05 PM
WOW! I live in SC and this is the first time I have heard of this!! Shows how much I watch the news huh??

They are calling him the South Carolina serial killer

Was on the Radio the other night as I came threw there

chloe
07-05-2009, 07:23 PM
two different sketches of him

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7070/2aaf4a6335c2eca4.jpg (http://img38.imageshack.us/i/2aaf4a6335c2eca4.jpg/)

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8292/5bbe4c375c265d9a.jpg (http://img54.imageshack.us/i/5bbe4c375c265d9a.jpg/)

Jeff
07-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Talked to my Dad tonight who lives in Columbia SC , he was at a birthday party for his brother in law who is a assistant police chief in Holly Hill SC and he was telling my Dad there is a warning to all salesman in the Gaffney SC area not to be going door to door, seems most residents are armed and a bit trigger happy right now.

jackass
07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Talked to my Dad tonight who lives in Columbia SC , he was at a birthday party for his brother in law who is a assistant police chief in Holly Hill SC and he was telling my Dad there is a warning to all salesman in the Gaffney SC area not to be going door to door, seems most residents are armed and a bit trigger happy right now.

The south isnt usually the place for these things to happen for just such reasons!

Jeff
07-05-2009, 09:51 PM
The south isnt usually the place for these things to happen for just such reasons!

That's exactly right, I can tell ya in my neighborhood there aren't but 1 or 2 house that I am not sure if they are armed or not, but I wouldn't take a chance, lol

chloe
07-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Thank God Im not in SC, I don't even know how to use a weapon...ha ha

chloe
07-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Patrick Burris identified as Gaffney serial killer

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3313/bildedeb.jpg (http://img10.imageshack.us/i/bildedeb.jpg/)

GAFFNEY — Patrick Tracy Burris, the serial killer who terrorized a South Carolina community by shooting five people to death before police killed him Monday was a career criminal paroled just two months ago, authorities said.

Patrick Tracy Burris North Carolina prison record
Burris, 41, was shot to death by officers investigating a burglary complaint at a home in Gastonia, N.C., 30 miles from where the killing spree started June 27. Bullets in his gun matched those that killed residents in and around Gaffney over six days last week, said State Law Enforcement Division Chief Reggie Lloyd.

Investigators did not have an address for Burris. While evidence left no doubt he was the killer, they still had no idea why he did it.

"He was unpredictable. He was scary. He was weird," said SLED Deputy Director Neil Dolan.

Burris had a long rap sheet filled with charges such as larceny, forgery and breaking and entering from states across the Southeast, including Florida, Virginia, West Virginia and Maryland. He had been paroled from a North Carolina prison in April after serving nearly eight years.

"Look at this," Lloyd said, waiving a stapled copy of Burris' criminal record. "This is like 25 pages. At some point the criminal justice system is going to need to explain why this suspect was out on the street."

Gaffney farmer Sam Howell, 61, was among dozens of people from Cherokee County who came to the news conference where authorities identified Burris.

"My prayers were answered. He got what he deserved," Howell said. "He scared the hell out of everyone. I guess we can feel better but we've lost some of our innocence."

The mystery ended in Gastonia early Monday after a couple called police to report a suspicious sport utility vehicle in their neighborhood.

Mike and Terri Valentine were on edge because the Gaffney serial killer was just a short drive away.

They watched two people who sometimes visit the neighboring home get out of the vehicle, followed by a third man who matched the description of the killer: tall, heavyset, unshaven and wearing a baseball cap. The man appeared to be very drunk, Mike Valentine said.

heheh you weren't kidding people in south & north carolina don't mess around case solved !!!!!

glockmail
07-07-2009, 08:00 AM
My neighbor at the cabin lives in Gaffney. I called him up last night to congratulate him that we killed the bastard. Don't Mess with North Carolina you fuckers.

actsnoblemartin
07-07-2009, 08:21 AM
amen to that :beer:

reminds me of a huge state to the west of ya

My neighbor at the cabin lives in Gaffney. I called him up last night to congratulate him that we killed the bastard. Don't Mess with North Carolina you fuckers.

glockmail
07-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Not just NC or TX my friend. When I lived in upstate NY I recall two horrific events in the small town near Ithaca where the Sheriff's deputies brought justice down on perpetrators with speed and vengeance, saving the taxpayer's money and the victim's family's years of public grief. One was a housekeeper's son that killed a young family, tried to burn down the house to hide the evidence and took their credit cards to the mall for a spending spree- they shot him in his bed when he reached for a candy bar. Another was a sicko who raped and murdered his neighbors 14 year old girl and her friend, put them both into a tree chipper and spread the remains along the sides of country roads- when they caught up with him they made him into Swiss cheese and the deputy's final reports were all nearly identical. :salute:

glockmail
07-08-2009, 03:03 PM
I talked to my neighbor at the cabin last night who lives in Gaffney. Two of the murders were his neighbors. He and his family were at the beach when it happened. He said everyone in town was sitting around their houses with guns in hand, even packing in church.