PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experiance with Dodge Rams??

Trinity
07-05-2009, 11:38 AM
more so a 1999 1500 v-8 Magnum, quad cab, short bed, 4x4. My husband is looking at one he is thinking about buying for the business, considering he has an S-10 and really needs a full size truck. I don't know much about the Dodge Rams. I have heard they are good trucks, but wanted to know if any of you had owned one or knew someone that did, and your opinion on them.

Sitarro
07-05-2009, 11:48 AM
I've been tailgated a lot by them, it seems they give their owners a false sense of superiority. :laugh2: If he needs a full size truck, why buy a short bed, it won't have any more carrying capacity than the S-10?

Jeff
07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I had a 98 , 4 wheel drive , I loved it, ran great, would pull a trailer filled with hay, actual it pulled as good as my buddy's diesel pick up, But sitarro is right, if for a business to haul things a short bed would have the same amount of room as the s -10, just not the same amount of horse power

Speaking of horse power, although I loved my Dodge it was the worst vehicle I ever owned on gas, lol , I got a decent deal on it threw a dealer in town, he told me before I bought it the guy he bought it from said it was breaking him

My Dad also had one with the hemi in it, he cried about the gas mileage also

But it was a great truck, it just liked to stop at the gas stations allot
lol

Trinity
07-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I've been tailgated a lot by them, it seems they give their owners a false sense of superiority. :laugh2: If he needs a full size truck, why buy a short bed, it won't have any more carrying capacity than the S-10?

Because he is pulling a 6x10 trailer, for now. With a walk behind mower and other landscaping tools on it. He also does dirt removal on occasion, depending on what types of jobs he's on, and needs a truck with a little more power then the S-10.

The only thing that is going to be in the bed of the truck is his toolbox. So the short bed is not an issue.

Mr. P
07-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Because he is pulling a 6x10 trailer, for now.

The only thing that is going to be in the bed of the truck is his toolbox. So the short bed is not an issue.

But even with a trailer a short bed full size is not a good choice IMO. When he needs that bed space he ain't gonna have it...and forget selling it for what ya pay for it...NO ONE WANTS A GAS HOG THESE DAYS..so IF you buy one think LONG term.

Monkeybone
07-06-2009, 06:25 AM
also watch the trannies on Dodge Trucks.

glockmail
07-06-2009, 07:49 AM
4x4 requires more maintenance then a 2WD, and you pay about a 2mpg penalty, even when you're in 2WD. So if you don't need it, don't buy it. That being said, all of my vehicles have 4WD, since I travel a lot in the winter on mountain roads.

Trinity
07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
4x4 requires more maintenance then a 2WD, and you pay about a 2mpg penalty, even when you're in 2WD. So if you don't need it, don't buy it. That being said, all of my vehicles have 4WD, since I travel a lot in the winter on mountain roads.

Yeah I know I have a 93 blazer 4WD.

We will need the 4WD though because he also plows and salts in the winter months. And we do live out in a very rural area.

Trinity
07-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah so about that truck......I was mistaken it is in fact a long bed and not a short bed. It has 119,000 miles on it. It looks really nice and it is clean.

However my husband and I took it for a test drive yesterday. He drove, I rode in the passenger seat. First thing I noticed and remember I wasn't driving, was the transmission shifted really hard. I also noticed when my husband applied the brakes it had a shimmy to it. And oh my god when he went to engage the 4WD it grinded, then would not go out of 4WD until after we had stopped and turned right.

Needless to say we will not be buying that truck.

But that's ok because he did find something else. for about a 1/4 of what the guy wanted for the Dodge.......and it's a Chevy :thumb:

1988 Chevy 4X4 full size truck. Body has about 150,000 miles no rust, no dents, engine has less than 20,000 miles on it. 350 Jasper engine, fuel injected, transmission rebuilt in 2008. Truck runs great and rides great. 4-wheel drive works great, nice set of aftermarket wheels, flow master exhaust.

Mr. P
07-07-2009, 10:04 AM
so how's the guitar hero?

Trinity
07-07-2009, 10:28 AM
so how's the guitar hero?

sleeping right now............ he just got back last night, so I have not had a chance to show him the thread yet.

But thanks for reminding me, cause I almost forgot about it. :coffee:

Little-Acorn
07-07-2009, 02:58 PM
I *strongly* suggest you check the frequency-of-repair records kept by groups like Consumer Reports, to get an idea about how reliable the Dodge Rams are compared to Chevys, Fords, Toyotas etc.

Go to a library and see the Annual Auto Issue of Consumer Reports, or the annual summary book.

I've never owned a Dodge Ram. But based on those frequency-of-repair records, I wouldn't touch one with a 10-foot pole.

glockmail
07-07-2009, 04:01 PM
She already nix'd the Dodge, but I don't trust CR for cars. I think they are biased towards the Japanese brands and have been since the 1970's.

Mr. P
07-07-2009, 04:16 PM
She already nix'd the Dodge, but I don't trust CR for cars. I think they are biased towards the Japanese brands and have been since the 1970's.

No bias, fact is Jap cars are just more reliable. :poke:

glockmail
07-07-2009, 06:13 PM
No bias, fact is Jap cars are just more reliable. :poke: That hasn't been my experience.

Little-Acorn
07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
That hasn't been my experience.

It has definitely been mine.

glockmail
07-08-2009, 08:01 AM
It has definitely been mine. I recall toting many of my friends around in my old Ford when their rice burners broke down.

emmett
07-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I would recommend a strong Morgan horse and buckboard. Good climbing ability mixed with off-road ability. Eats allot but burns no gas. No transmisson!

Honestly I would get a four or five year old Ford F-250 with low 100's, a diesel engine and bigger tires. A 1500 or 150 will have trans problems pulling a trailor eventually. Just saying.