PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a new T.V-----help

stephanie
07-05-2009, 06:54 PM
what do you all think is the best..?? I would like to spend as low as I can under $500 for a 32 in...

picture quality and longest lasting..

my old Hitachi lasted over 10 yrs..

:cheers2:

Nukeman
07-05-2009, 07:07 PM
what do you all think is the best..?? I would like to spend as low as I can under $500 for a 32 in...

:cheers2:
Ok heres the deal a LCD will last about 80,000 hours thats a lot of tv time. If your room is light and you can't control the abient light a LCD is going to be your best bet for the money. Now the Plasma's need amore controlable light situations they don't do as well in well lit rooms. you have to be able to keep it darker plus you have more trouble seeing from angles. Plasam's are also more expensive.

LCD for the money is probably the way yo want to go. It was funny when Trigg and I went to purchase a new TV she stated that she was SOOO surprised that there were NO regular or projection style TV's.

Good luck finding what you want. You don't have to buy Sony or Hitachi to get good quality. LG and Vizio are both really good makes and substantialy cheaper......

Good luck and I hope this helps!!:beer:

stephanie
07-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Ok heres the deal a LCD will last about 80,000 hours thats a lot of tv time. If your room is light and you can't control the abient light a LCD is going to be your best bet for the money. Now the Plasma's need amore controlable light situations they don't do as well in well lit rooms. you have to be able to keep it darker plus you have more trouble seeing from angles. Plasam's are also more expensive.

LCD for the money is probably the way yo want to go. It was funny when Trigg and I went to purchase a new TV she stated that she was SOOO surprised that there were NO regular or projection style TV's.

Good luck finding what you want. You don't have to buy Sony or Hitachi to get good quality. LG and Vizio are both really good makes and substantialy cheaper......

Good luck and I hope this helps!!:beer:

wow, I didn't know a thing about Lcds and plasma's. nuke what is Lg I never heard of them? I never heard of Vizio before either, but I did seem them in advertisements today

thanks dear.

hjmick
07-05-2009, 07:34 PM
LG used to be Goldstar.

My wife picked up a 47" Westinghouse HD 1080p LCD TV at Costco for about $600. No complaints.

Nukeman
07-05-2009, 07:36 PM
wow, I didn't know a thing about Lcds and plasma's. nuke what is Lg I never heard of them? I never heard of Vizio before either, but I did seem them in advertisements today

thanks dear.

LG is what Trigg and I Just bought. A friend of mine that is a electronics snob and guru suggested that for the money. He does a lot of research and he can deffinitely afford the top of the line but he looks for the best bargan.

I don't even think they make a CRT TV anymore let alone a projection screen. I don't remember seeing any when we were in Best Buy.

Vizio is a brand that Sam's club sells and my understanding is its a pretty good TV.

jackass
07-05-2009, 09:48 PM
LG is what Trigg and I Just bought. A friend of mine that is a electronics snob and guru suggested that for the money. He does a lot of research and he can deffinitely afford the top of the line but he looks for the best bargan.

I don't even think they make a CRT TV anymore let alone a projection screen. I don't remember seeing any when we were in Best Buy.

Vizio is a brand that Sam's club sells and my understanding is its a pretty good TV.

Vizio is sold almost everywhere. An excellent TV for the price. Be careful of the models you buy. Depending on where you buy them, you will get more or less options for what seems to be the same tv.

I disagree with having a hard time seeing plasmas at an angle. That is usually projections. I personally like plasmas better. They have a sharper picture and much better color IMHO.

stephanie
07-05-2009, 10:04 PM
ok, now another question for you all..

Lcd or plasma?

thanks for the info so far..very informative for me..

Missileman
07-05-2009, 11:16 PM
ok, now another question for you all..

Lcd or plasma?

thanks for the info so far..very informative for me..

I recommend going to a Best Buy or some place like that to compare pictures of the different brands and models side-by-side. Make a list of the sets you really like and then do a little research online for product reviews to look for any potential problems. I personally prefer LCD to plasma and the new LED LCDs have strengthened the preference.

stephanie
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
I recommend going to a Best Buy or some place like that to compare pictures of the different brands and models side-by-side. Make a list of the sets you really like and then do a little research online for product reviews to look for any potential problems. I personally prefer LCD to plasma and the new LED LCDs have strengthened the preference.

great idea, I wouldn't of never thought of doing that..thanks

actsnoblemartin
07-06-2009, 03:29 AM
great idea, I wouldn't of never thought of doing that..thanks

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm

PostmodernProphet
07-06-2009, 05:21 AM
Plasma tvs use a lot more electricity and give off a lot more heat.....

I have a question about contrast ratios......I see tvs that say they have contrast ratios of 50,000 to 1 sitting next to those that say 2000 to 1......that's a big difference, but what does it change?......

LG is a Chinese company and the name stands for Living Good.....I have a home theater made by them and I like it.....

I recommend you make sure the TV has a PC hookup option......I have my son's 42 inch hooked up to our PC as a second monitor and can stream video from Hulu and YouTube in high def....awesome.....

glockmail
07-06-2009, 07:55 AM

:cheers2: I just bought a 32" Proscan at Costco for $320 and change. Its not full 1080p, only 750p or so, but we use it for both TV and for a computer monitor and seems to be working out.

Monkeybone
07-06-2009, 08:26 AM
when you get into the 720p and the 1080p that is asking yourself, quasi hi-def? or full hi-def?

you also have to look at it the same as you get what you pay for. Like with the viz, yah it's cheaper, but like stated before, you have to watch what you are really buying. Also, if something happens sometimes the repairs can cost more than the whole TV.

i wouldn't even bother with Plasma unless you are going big and theater like. LCD is just as good, if not better. and i wanna say that images don't get burned in as easy? maybe that was just something i heard...never know.

glockmail
07-06-2009, 08:37 AM
when you get into the 720p and the 1080p that is asking yourself, quasi hi-def? or full hi-def?

you also have to look at it the same as you get what you pay for. Like with the viz, yah it's cheaper, but like stated before, you have to watch what you are really buying. Also, if something happens sometimes the repairs can cost more than the whole TV.

i wouldn't even bother with Plasma unless you are going big and theater like. LCD is just as good, if not better. and i wanna say that images don't get burned in as easy? maybe that was just something i heard...never know.
A true 1080p hi-def would have been nice, but I bought this for my cabin and we have basic cable and don't watch a lot of TV up there anyway. When we use it as a computer monitor the high def would have been nice, but the screens so big I just set the monitor zoom up.

Monkeybone
07-06-2009, 08:47 AM
A true 1080p hi-def would have been nice, but I bought this for my cabin and we have basic cable and don't watch a lot of TV up there anyway. When we use it as a computer monitor the high def would have been nice, but the screens so big I just set the monitor zoom up.

would've done the same thing. it all boils down to how much you use it and what you use it for.

stephanie
07-06-2009, 08:51 AM
so I want 1080 hi def when I buy...?? is that the best?

Nukeman
07-06-2009, 08:55 AM
so I want 1080 hi def when I buy...?? is that the best?for now!!! May change tomorow!!:coffee:

Keep in mind the ability to control the light in the room your placing the TV. If you can't control all of the light you will more than likely want a LCD.

If you CAN control all the light than a Plasma has better picture quality especialy for fast moving sports and the like.....

Monkeybone
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
so I want 1080 hi def when I buy...?? is that the best?

the 1080p /7p is the lines of resolution. for now, 1080 is the best and "True Hi-Def" compared to 7. all in what you use it for. if you think that someday down the road you will have a BluRay (special now that they are playing old, standard DvDs yah!) or a game system (sorry I don't know/forget spouse and/or kid situation) it will just be better on the 10.

again...all in what you use it for and how much.

Missileman
07-06-2009, 09:13 AM
for now!!! May change tomorow!!:coffee:

Keep in mind the ability to control the light in the room your placing the TV. If you can't control all of the light you will more than likely want a LCD.

If you CAN control all the light than a Plasma has better picture quality especialy for fast moving sports and the like.....

The 120 and now 240Hz refresh rates have made the motion argument moot.

Nukeman
07-06-2009, 09:21 AM
The 120 and now 240Hz refresh rates have made the motion argument moot.
but the glare issue is still there with a plasma! If her room is bright and sunny she won't get a good picture except at night....

jackass
07-06-2009, 09:25 AM
but the glare issue is still there with a plasma! If her room is bright and sunny she won't get a good picture except at night....

Very true! If its a dark room go with plasma!

stephanie
07-06-2009, 09:33 AM
from hearing you talk about the light in a room, I'd say the LCd probably would be better for me..Living room is bright...

thanks for that heads up also..