PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Palin: Why She Resigned

-Cp
07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
After her bombshell announcement Friday that she was resigning as governor of Alaska 18 months before the end of her first term, and amid questions about her political future ricocheting from Alaska to Washington, D.C., Sarah Palin packed it up, traveled more than 300 miles from her family home in Wasilla and went fishing.

It was there in Dillingham, Alaska, on the shores of Kanakanak Beach, that ABC News joined the former Republican presidential running mate on a salmon fishing trip. Dressed in a white T-shirt and overall waders, Alaska's governor was philosophical about politics and life, all the while plucking salmon from the family fishing nets aboard a boat her husband, Todd, and a buddy built 20 years ago.

Palin said she was surprised by the media storm that followed her announcement to leave office, saying she thought it would not have been "such a darn big deal." But she struck a determined, if vague, note about her future.

"I said before I stood in front of the mic the other day, you know, politically speaking -- if I die, I die. So be it," Palin said.

"Don't know what the future holds. I'm not gonna shut any door. That -- who knows what doors open. I can't predict what the next fish run's gonna look like down on the Nushagak [River]. So I certainly can't predict what's gonna happen in the next couple of years," Palin told ABC News.

Full article and Video interview (you'll get to see her hotness fishing):

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=8016906&page=1

-Cp
07-07-2009, 04:19 PM
<script src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/2.0/video/evp/module.js?loc=dom&vid=/video/politics/2009/07/07/griffin.intv.palin.step.down.cnn" type="text/javascript"></script><noscript>Embedded video from <a href="http://www.cnn.com/video">CNN Video</a></noscript>

Binky
07-07-2009, 04:51 PM
She just told us why she resigned. She decided it wasn't good for Alaska that she was facing so many distractions and wasn't able to do the job they put her in office to do. She stepped aside so another could take over and get Alaska progressing rather than being caught up in litigations and other things taking her away from her job. As to what she plans to do, I'd say we're on a need to know basis, and when the time is right, she'll let us know.

glockmail
07-07-2009, 06:21 PM
She should write a book, which of course will make millions, then run for the Senate, and set herself up for 2016.

gabosaurus
07-07-2009, 10:08 PM
If you can't handle the heat, get out of the governor's kitchen. Abandon your problems (the the state's problems), go fishing and let someone figure things out.
Sounds almost like GW Bush.
If Sarah Palin can't handle the problems of Alaska, what makes anyone thing she can do anything with the U.S.?
If Palin ever ran for president, she would be roasted and served over rice. No way should could handle the pressure of a full campaign.
And forget 2016. Palin will have too many grandchildren by then.

Jeff
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
If you can't handle the heat, get out of the governor's kitchen. Abandon your problems (the the state's problems), go fishing and let someone figure things out.
If Sarah Palin can't handle the problems of Alaska, what makes anyone thing she can do anything with the U.S.?
If Palin ever ran for president, she would be roasted and served over rice. No way should could handle the pressure of a full campaign.

GW quit???

You mean she would be roasted like she did to Biden???

Gabby I detect a bit of jealousy, its ok, all woman can't look as good as she does

stephanie
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM

so nasty for someone so young..shame.
and what the hell would you know about Alaska and their problems, and like you really care..
Sarah Palin did just fine for Alaska, I CAN tell you that, and she will do just fine for the United States...
and lets hope you have grandchildren someday or maybe not...

Mr. P
07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
GW quit???

You mean she would be roasted like she did to Biden???

Gabby I detect a bit of jealousy, its ok, all woman can't look as good as she does

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jeff again....

07-07-2009, 10:52 PM

She was handling it quite fine. But every honest person has to ask themselves whether or not remaining where they are is best for everyone.

Are you suggesting that if political enemies made fun of your daughter and husband, falsely accused you of ethic violations to the point where the state was paying hundreds of thousands of dollars, and pretty much tried to stop you from doing what's in the best interests of the state you wouldnt step down for someone else who can provide the best interests of the state to take over?

It has nothing to do with handling pressure. It has everything to do with is it best to put the state through this?

its refreshing to see someone do something thats better for others than themselves.

Yurt
07-07-2009, 11:21 PM
She was handling it quite fine. But every honest person has to ask themselves whether or not remaining where they are is best for everyone.

Are you suggesting that if political enemies made fun of your daughter and husband, falsely accused you of ethic violations to the point where the state was paying hundreds of thousands of dollars, and pretty much tried to stop you from doing what's in the best interests of the state you wouldnt step down for someone else who can provide the best interests of the state to take over?

It has nothing to do with handling pressure. It has everything to do with is it best to put the state through this?

its refreshing to see someone do something thats better for others than themselves.

um....clinton stayed on....

sure, what she received was uncalled for, beyond just normal politics. but if she quit just for that, they won.

stephanie
07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
When have we EVER seen a Democrat step down for the good of the people or their state, and on Clinton's part, for the country..

They believe they can do anything, lying, cheating, drug, murder, and not have to step down...

But yet they are the worse ones to pass judgements on others and not even in a nice way...

The hate and venom that is displayed for Palin by the left, and the women are some of the worse, is truly amazing...what the hell did she ever do to them??

I don't like Hillery Clinton as a politician or like her policies and even have a pet name for her, but I would never ever put her down as a MOTHER..or use that as a excuse to put her down..

It really is discouraging to see our young people like Gabby, who is now just become a mother herself, stoop so low to the level of personal hate of someone she doesn't even know...

I'm wondering if this young generation is lost..It saddens me..

07-08-2009, 12:02 AM
um....clinton stayed on....

sure, what she received was uncalled for, beyond just normal politics. but if she quit just for that, they won.

And was the country better off?

PostmodernProphet
07-08-2009, 05:14 AM
And was the country better off?

yes we were.....if Clinton hadn't been embroiled in controversy for three years and Congress been rendered inoperable spending time in the investigation who knows what kind of screwed up messes they would have turned this country into....

Joe Steel
07-08-2009, 07:05 AM

Exactly!

Being Governor of Alaska has to be about the easiest of all 50 such jobs. It's a state with all most no population and has a virtually guaranteed income. If you can't run Alaska, you ought to find another job.

Apparently, Palin is at least smart enough to know that.

stephanie
07-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Exactly!

Being Governor of Alaska has to be about the easiest of all 50 such jobs. It's a state with all most no population and has a virtually guaranteed income. If you can't run Alaska, you ought to find another job.

snort..:lame2:

glockmail
07-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Exactly!

Apparently, Palin is at least smart enough to know that. Yeah that's why there was so much corruption there before she cleaned it all up, because a State is an easy thing to run. :lame2:

PostmodernProphet
07-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Exactly!

I don't think running Alaska was the problem, the problem was whether Alaska should have to deal with an entire nation of dimwitted liberals interfering with running Alaska.....

stephanie
07-08-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't think running Alaska was the problem, the problem was whether Alaska should have to deal with an entire nation of dimwitted liberals interfering with running Alaska.....

you just became my hero...
though I did leave Alaska last year I'm still an Alaskan girl at heart, I lived there since 1993..so the put downs of Alaska get my dander up as you all can see..:laugh2:

Kathianne
07-08-2009, 08:33 AM

While not articulating this as well as perhaps she could have, Fund's piece certainly seems the best analysis of 'why' and backs what Palin has said:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124700261179807839.html

Why Palin Quit
Death by a Thousand FOIAs
People close to Sarah Palin say national political reporters and pundits have missed the real reasons for her surprising decision to resign as Alaska governor. The national media have dismissed or downplayed her real motives, which had little to do with any plans to run for president in 2012.

Contrary to most reports, her decision had been in the works for months, accelerating recently as it became clear that controversies and endless ethics investigations were threatening to overshadow her legislative agenda. "Attacks inside Alaska and largely invisible to the national media had paralyzed her administration," someone close to the governor told me. "She was fully aware she would be branded a 'quitter.' She did not want to disappoint her constituents, but she was no longer able to do the job she had been elected to do. Essentially, the taxpayers were paying for Sarah to go to work every day and defend herself."

This situation developed because Alaska's transparency laws allow anyone to file Freedom of Information Act requests. While normally useful, in the hands of political opponents FOIA requests can become a means to bog down a target in a bureaucratic quagmire, thanks to the need to comb through records and respond by a strict timetable. Similarly, ethics investigations are easily triggered and can drag on for months even if the initial complaint is flimsy. Since Ms. Palin returned to Alaska after the 2008 campaign, some 150 FOIA requests have been filed and her office has been targeted for investigation by everyone from the FBI to the Alaska legislature. Most have centered on Ms. Palin's use of government resources, and to date have turned up little save for a few state trips that she agreed to reimburse the state for because her children had accompanied her. In the process, though, she accumulated $500,000 in legal fees in just the last nine months, and knew the bill would grow ever larger in the future....

PostmodernProphet
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
you just became my hero...

you're lagging behind everyone else....

emmett
07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Mrs. Palin certainly rung a horseshoe with this latest ploy in her political career. Here is what I think happened:

"Sarah....I've had about all of this shit I can stand honey. I want you to resign from office. The kids and I have been through hell in the last year and we're really sick of it. Whewn you said you just wanted to run for mayor I had no idea this roller coaster ride would exploit our family, have the press breathing down our necks constantly and catapult you into this environment," says Todd

"I could make us alot of money on the talk circuit dear."

"Yeah.....I know.....shitloads of it."

"I'll be labeled a quitter though," says Sarah.

"Excellent......that will spur more interest."

"Well....that is true. I really want to be the first female president though."

"Won't happen honey. The country is becoming more liberal by the day. We'll just end up losing and all that time will be wasted. we'll just be older."

"OK dear. I'll quit. We'll reap the financial benefits and live good. I'll write a book and get out on the lecture road. By the time were fifty we can have everything we ever wanted and the hell with it."

stephanie
07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
and a very funny ending to your story, emmett..

All that money that Palin will make, will be off the backs of the leftist in the country...THEY will have helped her become RICH...:laugh2:

emmett
07-08-2009, 11:22 AM

All that money that Palin will make, will be off the backs of the leftist in the country...THEY will have helped her become RICH...:laugh2:

Poetic justice indeed

:lol:

07-08-2009, 03:21 PM

True, but if Obama gets his way wont the government take all the money anyway?