PDA

View Full Version : Olbermann: We Have To 'Legally Stop' Glenn Beck

stephanie
07-07-2009, 11:56 PM
here is why my favorite saying is....scratch a liberal find a fascist..

By Mark Finkelstein (Bio | Archive)
July 8, 2009 - 00:01 ET

Noted free-speech champion Keith Olbermann has declared that we have to "legally stop" Glenn Beck. The Fox News host's crime? Not reacting strongly enough for Olbermann's taste when a guest made an over-the-top remark. [H/t reader JKF.]

On the June 30 editon of Beck's show, former CIA analyst Michael Scheuer said: "the only chance we have as a country right now is for Osama bin Laden to detonate a major weapon in the United States." Apparently Scheuer thinks that's what it would take to shock the country and its leaders back to their senses. Olbermann was infuriated that Beck didn't "scream at him" or otherwise jump down Scheuer's throat, choosing instead to nod gravely while suggesting that would be the last thing OBL would do.

View video here if player not visible.

In Olbermann's eyes, nodding in the third degree is a crime warranting legal action to "stop" Beck.

KEITH OLBERMANN: Mr. Scheuer has issued a call for the the head of al Qaeda to detonate a major weapon in the United States. And yet, for some reason, to my knowledge at least, the Department of Homeland Security has not yet been to see him, nor been to see Mr. Beck nor Fox News for having provided him a platform and passive assent, for approving not just a terrorist attack which could kill Americans, but approving of one that might even kill Fox viewers. If we're going to continue to prevent terrorism in this country, international or domestic, we have to legally stop the people who view terrorism as acceptable means of effecting political change in this country. People like Michael Scheuer. And we have to legally stop the people like Glenn Beck, the enablers, who simply nod gravely as if the idea, and the speaker are not treasonous.

from with comments...
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2009/07/08/olbermann-we-have-legally-stop-glen-beck

NightTrain
07-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Here's a link to the interview; yours didn't quite make the jump :)

http://media.eyeblast.org/newsbusters/static/2009/07/2009-07-07MSNBCCWOOlbermann.wmv

Last fall when this twit got demoted along with Chris Matthews, I thought common sense had prevailed - being "fired" was only from election coverage rather than from their respective shows.

I was sadly disappointed when I tuned in to cable TV back from the boondocks and saw this idiot still on the air, albeit somewhat muffled, spewing his hate.

This choad is another Michael Moore but with a much greater audience.

I see that young Olbermann is barking about "Treason", I'd like to ask him about his definition of "Sedition". There are many precedents in this country about Sedition, and this asswipe needs to be edu-ma-cated about it, '30s style!

NightTrain
07-08-2009, 03:54 AM
In the United States, Congress in the late eighteenth century believed that government should be protected from "false, scandalous and malicious" criticisms. Toward this end, Congress passed the Sedition Act of 1798, which authorized the criminal prosecution of persons who wrote or spoke falsehoods about the government, Congress, the president, or the vice president.

Hmm... Seems the Founding Fathers didn't have much respect for Liberals and wanted to protect the country from you? Impressive that they knew your ilk way back when.

In 1940, to silence radicals and quell Nazi or communist subversion during the burgeoning Second World War, Congress enacted the Smith Act (18 U.S.C.A. §§ 2385, 2387), which outlawed sedition and seditious conspiracy. The Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the act in Dennis v. United States, 341 U.S. 494, 71 S. Ct. 857, 95 L. Ed. 1137 (1951).

Lookin good, let's get that icing out for MSNBC:

The difference between sedition and treason consists primarily in the subjective ultimate object of the violation to the public peace. Sedition does not consist of levying war against a government nor of adhering to its enemies, giving enemies aid, and giving enemies comfort. Nor does it consist, in most representative democracies, of peaceful protest against a government, nor of attempting to change the government by democratic means (such as direct democracy or constitutional convention).

Sedition is the stirring up of rebellion against the government in power. Treason is the violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or state, giving aid to enemies, or levying war against one's state. Sedition is encouraging one's fellow citizens to rebel against their state, whereas treason is actually betraying one's country by aiding and abetting another state. Sedition laws somewhat equate to Terrorism and Public Order laws.

Olbermann's the top choice. I'd say half the DemoRats in office fit the bill on Treason.

Back in the day, Treason got you a hangman's noose. I'd say that's too good for you god damn commies.

Insein
07-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Problem with that definition is with the government we have in power now, I'd be guilty of sedition.

glockmail
07-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Michael Scheuer is wrong, since OBL's last act didn't shock Americans enough. I think that BHO would have to denote a major weapon in San Fransisco at a major Gay Parade in order to shock liberals into reality.

Gaffer
07-08-2009, 09:33 AM
It needs to be detonated in washington while congress is in session and the dark lord is giving another propaganda lecture to his media minions.

stephanie
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
It needs to be detonated in washington while congress is in session and the dark lord is giving another propaganda lecture to his media minions.

:eek:
really might not be a bad idea now that I think about it..

emmett
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Michael Scheuer is wrong, since OBL's last act didn't shock Americans enough. I think that BHO would have to denote a major weapon in San Fransisco at a major Gay Parade in order to shock liberals into reality.

INteresting idea but blame for such an event wold surely be placed on Conservatives. :laugh2:

Olbermann is an opportunist. I wonder how much time he spends camping out on the viewer looking for piss shit opportunities to somehow boost his ratings.They do suck you know. Personally I didn't see or hear about this or any other statement of his because I don't listen to or watch him. I couldn't tell you what time the man comes on TV.

I have reached the conclusion that guys like him have but one aspiration. I think it is to be press secretary. I really do. In hindsight, looking at some of the shit that has filled that position during Liberal presidencies I really think the media's left has only that aspiration. Noone could really believe some of the lame shit they put out on the tube or radio.

Olberman criticizes Beck. That is funny. When conspiracy theories were being tossed around about Bush being involved in 911 he was right there cheering. What is the difference? Beck didn't agree with the cat about setting off a bomb anyway. Film tape will clearly show that he has many times sat and nodded while listening to other opinions he did not agree with. Olberman soes not possess the ability to find and pursue interesting topics (as would be suggested by his ratings) so he jumps opportunity. What a chump!

07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
So Glenn Beck needs to be silenced for nodding... right.

I would like to see the clip from Glenn's show. I want to see real context.

Little-Acorn
07-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Noted free-speech champion Keith Olbermann has declared that we have to "legally stop" Glenn Beck. The Fox News host's crime? Not reacting strongly enough for Olbermann's taste when a guest made an over-the-top remark. [H/t reader JKF.]

That's not why Olbermann wants to stop Beck.

He wants to silence anyone who criticizes his agenda, and/or the agenda of his soul brothers on the extreme left. But he hasn't the stones to say it out loud. So he finds excuses to silence them, one after another, such as Beck's not-sufficient reaction.

Leftists know they can't survive open information and debate. Silencing the other side WITHOUT debate, is and always will be their only hope.

glockmail
07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
:eek:
really might not be a bad idea now that I think about it.. Tom Clancy wrote about that about 20 years ago, except the "bomb" is a 747 flown by a Japanese airline pilot.