PDA

View Full Version : HELP! trigger finger..

stephanie
07-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I believe I have what is called trigger finger in one of my thumbs..I haven't seen a doctor yet, but I'm researching ways on the net to cure without having to have surgery...

anyone familiar with this??? and a home remedy cure?

it is on my right hand and is interfering with my life..and it urts..

Kathianne
07-08-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm no doctor, but here's what I found:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigger-finger/DS00155

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff
Trigger finger is a condition in which one of your fingers or your thumb catches in a bent position. Your finger or thumb may straighten with a snap — like a trigger being pulled and released. If trigger finger is severe, your finger may become locked in a bent position.

Often painful, trigger finger is caused by a narrowing of the sheath that surrounds the tendon in the affected finger. People whose work or hobbies require repetitive gripping actions are more susceptible. Trigger finger is also more common in women than in men, and in anyone with diabetes.

Treatment of trigger finger, also known as stenosing tenosynovitis, varies depending on the severity.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigger-finger/DS00155/DSECTION=symptoms

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff
Symptoms of trigger finger may progress in the following way:

At first, your affected finger may seem stiff and may click when you move it. You may notice a bump (nodule) or tenderness at the base of the affected finger in your palm. This is the spot where the tendon is likely catching.
As trigger finger worsens, your finger may catch at times in a bent position and then suddenly pop straight.
Eventually, the finger may not fully straighten.
Trigger finger more commonly occurs in your dominant hand, and most often affects your thumb or your middle or ring finger. More than one finger may be affected at a time, and both hands might be involved. Triggering is usually more pronounced in the morning, while firmly grasping an object or when straightening your finger....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/trigger-finger/DS00155/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Treatments and drugs
By Mayo Clinic staff
Trigger finger treatment varies depending on its severity and duration.

Treatment of mild cases
For mild or infrequent symptoms, these approaches may be effective:

Rest. You may notice improvement simply by resting the affected hand for four to six weeks. To prevent the overuse of your affected finger, your doctor may also suggest you change or curtail work or personal activities that require repeated gripping actions.
Splinting. Your doctor may have you wear a splint to keep the affected finger in an extended position for up to six weeks. The splint helps to rest the joint. Splinting also helps prevent you from curling your fingers into a fist while sleeping, which can make it painful to move your fingers in the morning.
Finger exercises. Your doctor may also suggest that you perform gentle exercises with the affected finger. This can help you to maintain mobility in your finger.
Avoiding repetitive gripping. For at least three to four weeks, avoid activities that require repetitive gripping, repeated grasping or the prolonged use of vibrating machinery.
Soaking in warm water. Placing your affected hand in warm water, especially in the morning, may reduce the severity of the catching sensation during the day. If this helps, you can repeat the soaking several times throughout the day.
Massage. Massaging your affected fingers may feel good and help relieve your pain, but it won't affect the inflammation.
Treatment of more serious cases
For more serious symptoms, your doctor may recommend other approaches, including:

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs — ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), for example — may relieve the inflammation and swelling that led to the constriction of the tendon sheath and trapping of the tendon, and can relieve the pain associated with trigger finger.

Steroids. An injection of a steroid medication, such as cortisone, near or into the tendon sheath also can be used to reduce inflammation of the sheath. This treatment is most effective if given soon after signs and symptoms begin. Injections can be repeated if necessary, though repeated injections may not be as effective as the initial injection. Steroid injections may not be as effective in people with other medical conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes.

Percutaneous trigger finger release. In this procedure, which is performed under local anesthesia, doctors use a needle to release the locked finger. This procedure is most effective for the index, middle and ring fingers.

Surgery. Though less common than other treatments, surgical release of the tendon may be necessary for troublesome locking that doesn't respond to other treatments.

Good luck, hope it gets better!

stephanie
07-08-2009, 09:39 AM
all those cures and this dang trigger thumb came at a very inopportune time..whereas I am applying for jobs and trying to write is a mess and hurts, and I can see myself being hired with a big ole splint on my thumb..

damn my luck...

guess I'm off now to call a doctor for maybe some shots in it...:eek:

PostmodernProphet
07-08-2009, 10:06 AM
the important thing is, leave your weapon at home.....

stephanie
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM
the important thing is, leave your weapon at home.....

that was funny, but doesn't help my trigger thumb...:slap:

LOL ..

actsnoblemartin
07-08-2009, 05:17 PM
hugs, god please take care of our dear steph

amen

I believe I have what is called trigger finger in one of my thumbs..I haven't seen a doctor yet, but I'm researching ways on the net to cure without having to have surgery...

anyone familiar with this??? and a home remedy cure?

it is on my right hand and is interfering with my life..and it urts..

stephanie
07-08-2009, 05:30 PM
hugs, god please take care of our dear steph

amen

thanks love, that makes me feel better already.(kiss)