PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Space Requested

stephanie
01-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Muslims say they need quiet room at Welsh-Ryan
Dan Fletcher and Paul Takahashi's date: 1/9/07 Section: CampusPrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1 By Dan Fletcher and Paul Takahashi
The Daily Northwestern

Amid the cheering Northwestern football fans at Ryan Field, all Asghar Wasi wanted was a quiet place to pray. The only place he could find was a spot of less-than-clean floor in a public walkway.

"We had to pray in front of the concession stand, in front of all the people," the McCormick junior said.

Perhaps someone noticed. At last Wednesday's ASG meeting, the Muslim-cultural Students Association proposed a bill establishing a designated prayer area at Welsh-Ryan Arena for Muslim students for football and basketball games.

McSA President Amir Siddiqui estimates more than 20 Muslim students are in attendance at nearly every game.

"Oftentimes while students are at sporting events, the prayer time falls during the game," the Weinberg senior said. "If there was a space to pray, or even an opportunity for students to leave and re-enter, things would be better. Right now, it can be difficult."

John Mack, associate athletic director of external affairs, said McSA contacted him about the problem as early as mid-October. Despite discussing the request in staff meetings, Mack said they couldn't provide a solution.

"This is a request we took seriously," he said. "We appreciate all student support, but we didn't feel there was a suitable area for prayer. There's not enough space in the arena."

Mack said the athletic department doesn't allow any spectators to leave and re-enter the facilities during an event.

"When you give preferential treatment, while respecting their group's religion, it's tough to determine where to draw the line in terms of our entire fan base," he said.

Regardless, some Muslim students said the current rules present an inconvenience that warrants more discussion.

"Right now, we have to pray late afterwards or early and it's annoying," said Ramah Kudaimi, a Medill senior. "It's a lot more convenient to have a designated area than having to pray at different times."

Kudaimi said she occasionally uses the designated prayer area in Parkes Hall on Friday, the Muslim holy day. Another area was established in the Technological Institute for a similar purpose.

"It's a lot more comfortable for other students who may not want to come upon someone praying," she said.

Siddiqui said he hopes the ASG resolution, if passed, will open up a dialogue with the athletic department.

"If we just had an opportunity to talk, we could find a solution," he said.

For his part, Mack said he would be willing to listen again. He doubts, however, that much can be changed for this season.

But Wasi, who frequents the prayer area at Tech five days a week, wishes it were different.

"All I want is a little bit of privacy, he said. "Carpets would be nice. It doesn't need to be soundproof, just clean."

Reach Dan Fletcher at danfletcher@northwestern.edu and Paul Takahashi at ptakahashi@northwestern.edu.
http://media.www.dailynorthwestern.com/media/storage/paper853/news/2007/01/09/Campus/Prayer.Space.Requested-2606308.shtml?sourcedomain=www.dailynorthwestern.c om&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

Pale Rider
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
BULL - SHIT!!!

I can NOT believe what I'm reading.

I don't do this often, but I'm writing that fucking high school.

Gaffer
01-16-2007, 03:05 AM
Muslims can have prayer in school and no one else can?

Where's the aclu now?

dirt mcgirt
01-16-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't do this often, but I'm writing that fucking high school.
Good luck with that. Northwestern is a college though not a high school.

Muslims can have prayer in school and no one else can?

Where's the aclu now?
The ACLU won't get involved and shouldn't get involved unless State funds were used for the Gym. As far as I can tell, they aren't. Northwestern is a private institution and should therefore be allowed to do whatever they want with their own money, facilities, and policies. If they feel that funds or facilities paid for by student tuition should be used to accomodate a small group of people, then more power to them. If not, tough shit. I'm sure the student body will have some say in this. Personally, if I was a student there, I'd vote no to giving them a designated prayer spot within the facility but probably change the policy to allow readmittance (for everyone.) If they feel that the game is interfering with their religious beliefs and prayer is more important then they shouldn't go in the first place.

Pale Rider
01-16-2007, 10:40 AM
If it's a private school, that is different. But, if I was paying to have my kid there, and the muslims got their prayer space, I'd sue the ass off that school.

The ClayTaurus
01-16-2007, 10:54 AM
What about the very real possibility that having Muslims praying in public might make others nervous?

darin
01-16-2007, 11:22 AM
"Right now, we have to pray late afterwards or early and it's annoying," said Ramah Kudaimi, a Medill senior. "It's a lot more convenient to have a designated area than having to pray at different times."

WHAT a puss!! ALLAH Forbid the world doesn't CATER to THEIR choice of religion. wow.

That dude needs to build himself a bridge and GET OVER IT.

Gaffer
01-16-2007, 11:44 AM
What about the very real possibility that having Muslims praying in public might make others nervous?

They shouldn't be praying in a school setting period. No prayers in school, no prayers in stadiums, nothing to do with religion in a school setting. Supreme kings made that ruling. It applies to muslims as well as christians.

5stringJeff
01-16-2007, 12:53 PM

It's not so much the praying in public part. It's the demand that the university build a special room for them to pray in.

The ClayTaurus
01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
It's not so much the praying in public part. It's the demand that the university build a special room for them to pray in.What I'm saying though, is wouldn't it be better to have them praying in a closed room rather than out in public?

The ClayTaurus
01-16-2007, 01:15 PM
They shouldn't be praying in a school setting period. No prayers in school, no prayers in stadiums, nothing to do with religion in a school setting. Supreme kings made that ruling. It applies to muslims as well as christians.You are allowed to individually pray in school or any other public place you want.

5stringJeff
01-16-2007, 01:50 PM
What I'm saying though, is wouldn't it be better to have them praying in a closed room rather than out in public?

If they want a private place to pray, they should get one themselves. It should not be a public univeristy's responsibility to build a separate room for them to pray in, unless that room is available to all who wish to pray there (Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, etc.). And why one would want a special prayer room in a football stadium is beyond me.

Gaffer
01-16-2007, 02:00 PM
You are allowed to individually pray in school or any other public place you want.

Then they need to stand quietly and pray like everyone else does. being dramatic with the kneeling and chanting "allah is the biggest camel in the desert" just doesn't get it and is promoting religion in school. The american communist lawyers union should be all over this.