PDA

View Full Version : Obama, Like All Presidents, Tries To Manage The News

stephanie
07-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I never thought I would say this...but ole Helen has become my new hero:cheers2:

President Calls On Handpicked Reporters
Helen Thomas, Hearst White House columnist

POSTED: 11:14 am EDT July 9, 2009
UPDATED: 11:48 am EDT July 9, 2009

WASHINGTON -- It’s not news when the White House tries to manage the news. That has always been the case.

But it is news when Obama administration officials -- the folks who proclaimed that they would bring unprecedented openness and transparency to government -- fall all over themselves trying to manipulate news briefings and attempting amateurish stagecraft at public meetings.
The president relies on a list of handpicked reporters to call on at his formal news conferences -- and the fortunate few are not necessarily accredited reporters but include new age self-appointed journalists or anyone with a laptop.

The White House staff selects both the professionals and ringers for the call-on list. Some are alerted the night before the news conference that they will be called on. This leaves the impression that the White House is trying to influence the questions the president will be asked-- which may or may not be true.

At his most recent news conference, President Barack Obama recognized a blogger, who had been invited by the Obama staff to attend the briefing and then steered into asking a question about the Iranian election, a topic that Obama was eager to address. I’ve heard of planted questions, but this was a planted questioner, an odd addition to the medley of White House feints designed to manipulate the news.

With the White House pulling all the strings, reporters become their puppets. Those not called upon -- well, they are nothing but props or extras at the big show in the East Room of the White House.

read it all..
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/helenthomas/20003187/detail.html