PDA

View Full Version : Another Dem Witch Hunt - CIA Had Secret Al Qaeda Plan

red states rule
07-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Seems libs are out to nail VP Cheney for something - anything. I thought Obama was bringing "change" to the nation - seems the rank and file Dems, and their leadership - is the same old same old

CIA Had Secret Al Qaeda Plan
Initiative at Heart of Spat With Congress Examined Ways to Seize, Kill Terror Chiefs

WASHINGTON -- A secret Central Intelligence Agency initiative terminated by Director Leon Panetta was an attempt to carry out a 2001 presidential authorization to capture or kill al Qaeda operatives, according to former intelligence officials familiar with the matter.

The precise nature of the highly classified effort isn't clear, and the CIA won't comment on its substance.

According to current and former government officials, the agency spent money on planning and possibly some training. It was acting on a 2001 presidential legal pronouncement, known as a finding, which authorized the CIA to pursue such efforts. The initiative hadn't become fully operational at the time Mr. Panetta ended it.

In 2001, the CIA also examined the subject of targeted assassinations of al Qaeda leaders, according to three former intelligence officials. It appears that those discussions tapered off within six months. It isn't clear whether they were an early part of the CIA initiative that Mr. Panetta stopped.

The revelations about the CIA and its post-9/11 activities have emerged amid a renewed fight between the agency and congressional Democrats. Last week, seven Democratic lawmakers on the House Intelligence Committee released a letter that talked about the CIA effort, which they said Mr. Panetta acknowledged hadn't been properly vetted with Congress. CIA officials had brought the matter to Mr. Panetta's attention and had recommended he inform Congress.

Neither Mr. Panetta nor the lawmakers provided details. Mr. Panetta quashed the CIA effort after learning about it June 23.

The battle is part of a long-running tug of war between the executive branch and the legislature about how to oversee the activities of the country's intelligence services and how extensively the CIA should brief Congress. In recent years, in the light of revelations over CIA secret prisons and harsh interrogation techniques, Congress has pushed for greater oversight. The Obama administration, much like its predecessor, is resisting any moves in that direction.

Most recently, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, in a dispute over what she knew about the use of waterboarding in interrogating terror suspects, has accused the agency of lying to lawmakers about its operations.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124736381913627661.html

Kathianne
07-13-2009, 05:16 AM
Too funny, I was just about to post this:

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/07/obamas-popularity-declines-and.html

Sunday, July 12, 2009
Obama's popularity declines, and the investigations begin

By TigerHawk at 7/12/2009 07:03:00 AM
Call me a cynic, but I am not in the least surprised that a couple of weeks after Barack Obama's strong approval/disapproval ratings took a turn to the unfavorable and Obamacare is looking less like a lead pipe cinch it is suddenly time to investigate the Bush administration.

UPDATE (Monday 5:30 am): This story from the morning's New York Times basically says that the pressure to investigate Bush-era intelligence and interrogation practices is indeed coming from the left, and that the Obama administration is resisting it because it believes that a Congressional or prosecutorial investigation would be a circus that will disrupt his domestic agenda. Well, if the Obamans are right, then we have a delicious double irony: Lefty Dems are going to wreck their last, best opportunity to socialize medicine out of their zeal to prosecute Bushies, and Republicans are going to get a shot at stopping the legislative juggernaut because the Democrats want to throw them in jail.

red states rule
07-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Too funny, I was just about to post this:

http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2009/07/obamas-popularity-declines-and.html

Well Kat, at least the Bush administration HAD a plan to take out terrorists.

Obama and his administration will see to it that this nation will not be able to protect itself.

Gaffer
07-13-2009, 09:25 AM
The plan was to capture or kill all aq. What else were they going to do make them stand in a corner? Send them nasty letters from the un?

Even a police force captures or kills perpetrators.

red states rule
07-13-2009, 09:27 AM
The plan was to capture or kill all aq. What else were they going to do make them stand in a corner? Send them nasty letters from the un?

Even a police force captures or kills perpetrators.

Well Pres Obama has only one option at this point

It's time for The Chosen One to climb back on Air Force One, and head out on another apology tour, expressing his sorrow - and anger - for Pres Bush and VP Cheney having a secret plan to kill terrorists.

Yep, that should play well in the liberal media and with his far left backers

gabosaurus
07-17-2009, 10:43 AM
While I am normally in favor of Dem witch hunts, this one is not a good one. I knew about the CIA death squads and totally endorsed the concepts. I think they should continue indefinitely.

namvet
07-18-2009, 08:46 AM
While I am normally in favor of Dem witch hunts, this one is not a good one. I knew about the CIA death squads and totally endorsed the concepts. I think they should continue indefinitely.

you can't find your fat ass with both hands. why don't you go to the terrorist convention in Chicago since your one anyway. a PE belt might just improve your looks. :upyours: