PDA

View Full Version : Madness

Melissa
07-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Are any of you involved in local politics, like at a city or county level? OMG, these people are nuts! I just read a book called "City Boy: Urban Planning, Municipal Politics, and Guerrilla Warfare." Has anyone read this yet? It's both tragic and hillarious at the same time. I had no idea that the people in charge of local government knew so little yet are allowed to get away with so much. No wonder this great nation is having such a hard time. If you have read the book, I would love to hear your opinions of it!

stephanie
07-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi Melissa, welcome to the board..

I haven't read the book you're talking about..but all you have to do is look at some of the idiots in Federal Government, and you can understand how it is in many local government...

chloe
07-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Are any of you involved in local politics, like at a city or county level? OMG, these people are nuts! I just read a book called "City Boy: Urban Planning, Municipal Politics, and Guerrilla Warfare." Has anyone read this yet? It's both tragic and hillarious at the same time. I had no idea that the people in charge of local government knew so little yet are allowed to get away with so much. No wonder this great nation is having such a hard time. If you have read the book, I would love to hear your opinions of it!

Melissa that sounds like a great read ! I have had experience with city politicians and it was very educational for me. Welcome to the Board !:beer:

Abbey Marie
07-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Welcome, Melissa!

Haven't read the book, but I am not at all surprised that they are fools and users. Politicas does not attract the best people in any sense of that word.

Trinity
07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
you know I'm going to go out on a limb here....if I am wrong I will certainly apologize...but the op reads like those damn ads I get people trying to send me on myspace all the time.

Gaffer
07-14-2009, 04:00 PM
you know I'm going to go out on a limb here....if I am wrong I will certainly apologize...but the op reads like those damn ads I get people trying to send me on myspace all the time.

Good point. Now I have to look up who the author is.

Trinity
07-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Well I did just find this..........

Melissa

New book puts the smack down
I am still confused about whether or not I like it or love it, but I just read a book called "City Boy: Urban Planning, Municipal Politics, and Guerrilla Warfare," and it is safe to say there is no other urban planning book like it. Mike Tedesco, the author, is clearly an ego maniac (and probably an alcholic) but he manages to put the smack down in a variety of ways to a variety of people, and it cracked me up. This is a strange, strange book that is definitly about urban planning but definitly unlike other urban planning books.

Has anyone else read this? Did you like it?

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?p=498788

and this..........

mel80202

2 posts, read 246 times
mel80202 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Colorado is nuts!
I just read a crazy book on city politics and urban planning and it was based on a town in Colorado. I'm not quite sure whether I hated it or loved it, but it certainly was not your run-of-the-mill non-fiction about politics and planning--it was tragically hillarious. It's called "City Boy: Urban Planning, Municipal Politics, and Guerrilla Warfare." I could not believe some of the things local government officials do. There is some crazy stuff going on at a local level. Has anybody read this? Did you like? More importantly, the town in the story is kept anonomous; does anyone know the real name of it?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/703361-colorado-nuts.html

I am beginning to think this is more a publicity stunt.

Gaffer
07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
BINGO we have a winner. I guess we just let the mods determine things from here.

Little-Acorn
07-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Amazon.com lists the author as Mike Tedesco, publication date of Aug. 15, 2009, which hasn't happened yet. But Amazon says they have it in stock, as do several other distributors.