PDA

View Full Version : Hoyer Says Small Businesses Don't Make $280,000 Per Year So They Won't Be Hurt by Dem

stephanie
07-15-2009, 10:33 AM
who the hell is going to save us from these idiots..

Wednesday, July 15, 2009
By Matt Cover

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said that job growth and economic recovery would not be harmed by a Democratic plan to increase income taxes by $540 billion to pay for their health-care reform proposal because the tax hikes would not affect small businesses.

Hoyer also said he could not think of any small business owners who make enough money to qualify for the higher taxes.

Speaking at his weekly press briefing on Tuesday, Hoyer said that the proposed tax was merely a surcharge on wealthy individuals, explaining that the tax increases were graduated.

“This is a surcharge,” Hoyer said, “on people making over $280,000 as an individual, $350,000 [per year] as a couple and it’s graduated, it goes up as you reach $1 million in income.”

Asked by CNSNews.com whether such a tax increase would affect small businesses and job creation during a recession, Hoyer said: “I don’t know many small business men or women who are making, themselves $280,000 [per year], so I’m not sure that very many small businesses are going to be affected by this.”

Hoyer also made clear that Democrats were committed to the tax increases, saying his party was determined to pay for its massive health care overhaul--making it “deficit-neutral,” as insisted upon by President Barack Obama.

“We are committed to paying for health care reform,” Hoyer said. “The Senate is committed to paying for health care reform and the president is committed to paying for health care reform. So, we will pay for it.”

Republicans disagreed, saying that no one could rationally believe that a tax increase on job-creators would not effect job creation.

read it all here..
http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=51043

Insein
07-15-2009, 10:54 AM
My former employer worked out of warehouse selling sign supplies and it was just me and him as employees most of the time. He made about $900,000 in revenue. Not all of that was profit but still, 2 guys in a garage made that much in a year. Who does Steny think he's kidding?

Gaffer
07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
He couldn't think of any small business owners that made more than 250 k a year because he doesn't know any. He doesn't run with the low income crowd. That would be beneath him.