PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Don Imus, for giving us blacks an excuse to ignore our real problem

Little-Acorn
04-11-2007, 11:21 AM
This editorial hits the nail on the head. How much longer do we have to listen to people accusing someone of racism, who said exactly the same things the supposed "victims" say to each other every day?

-----------------------------------------

http://www.kcstar.com

Imus isn’t the real bad guy

Instead of wasting time on irrelevant shock jock, black leaders need to be fighting a growing gangster culture.

by Jason Whitlock
Kansas City Star

Thank you, Don Imus. You’ve given us (black people) an excuse to avoid our real problem.

You’ve given Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson another opportunity to pretend that the old fight, which is now the safe and lucrative fight, is still the most important fight in our push for true economic and social equality.

You’ve given Vivian Stringer and Rutgers the chance to hold a nationally televised recruiting celebration expertly disguised as a news conference to respond to your poor attempt at humor.

Thank you, Don Imus. You extended Black History Month to April, and we can once again wallow in victimhood, protest like it’s 1965 and delude ourselves into believing that fixing your hatred is more necessary than eradicating our self-hatred.

The bigots win again.

While we’re fixated on a bad joke cracked by an irrelevant, bad shock jock, I’m sure at least one of the marvelous young women on the Rutgers basketball team is somewhere snapping her fingers to the beat of 50 Cent’s or Snoop Dogg’s or Young Jeezy’s latest ode glorifying nappy-headed pimps and hos.

I ain’t saying Jesse, Al and Vivian are gold-diggas, but they don’t have the heart to mount a legitimate campaign against the real black-folk killas.

It is us. At this time, we are our own worst enemies. We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent.

Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

It’s embarrassing. Dave Chappelle was offered $50 million to make racially insensitive jokes about black and white people on TV. He was hailed as a genius. Black comedians routinely crack jokes about white and black people, and we all laugh out loud.

I’m no Don Imus apologist. He and his tiny companion Mike Lupica blasted me after I fell out with ESPN. Imus is a hack.

But, in my view, he didn’t do anything outside the norm for shock jocks and comedians. He also offered an apology. That should’ve been the end of this whole affair. Instead, it’s only the beginning. It’s an opportunity for Stringer, Jackson and Sharpton to step on victim platforms and elevate themselves and their agenda$.

I watched the Rutgers news conference and was ashamed.

Martin Luther King Jr. spoke for eight minutes in 1963 at the March on Washington. At the time, black people could be lynched and denied fundamental rights with little thought. With the comments of a talk-show host most of her players had never heard of before last week serving as her excuse, Vivian Stringer rambled on for 30 minutes about the amazing season her team had.

Somehow, we’re supposed to believe that the comments of a man with virtually no connection to the sports world ruined Rutgers’ wonderful season. Had a broadcaster with credibility and a platform in the sports world uttered the words Imus did, I could understand a level of outrage.

But an hourlong press conference over a man who has already apologized, already been suspended and is already insignificant is just plain intellectually dishonest. This is opportunism. This is a distraction.

In the grand scheme, Don Imus is no threat to us in general and no threat to black women in particular. If his words are so powerful and so destructive and must be rebuked so forcefully, then what should we do about the idiot rappers on BET, MTV and every black-owned radio station in the country who use words much more powerful and much more destructive?

I don’t listen or watch Imus’ show regularly. Has he at any point glorified selling crack cocaine to black women? Has he celebrated black men shooting each other randomly? Has he suggested in any way that it’s cool to be a baby-daddy rather than a husband and a parent? Does he tell his listeners that they’re suckers for pursuing education and that they’re selling out their race if they do?

When Imus does any of that, call me and I’ll get upset. Until then, he is what he is — a washed-up shock jock who is very easy to ignore when you’re not looking to be made a victim.

No. We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al are going to sit it out.

darin
04-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Perfect!

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Jason Whitlock
We all know where the real battleground is. We know that the gangsta rappers and their followers in the athletic world have far bigger platforms to negatively define us than some old white man with a bad radio show. There’s no money and lots of danger in that battle, so Jesse and Al [Sharpton] are going to sit it out.Sure, Jase. Never mind the fact that it's a bunch of fat white record company executives who are allowing this gangsta shit to see the light of day. Did someone pay you to spin it this way, or are you just generally self-hating?

Gunny
04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Sure, Jase. Never mind the fact that it's a bunch of fat white record company executives who are allowing this gangsta shit to see the light of day. Did someone pay you to spin it this way, or are you just generally self-hating?

You mean "white" producers like Babyface? Barry Gordie? Dr. Dre? Missy Elliot?

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 12:46 PM
You mean "white" producers like Babyface? Barry Gordie? Dr. Dre? Missy Elliot?All of whom had to depend on "white" money at first.

darin
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Sure, Jase. Never mind the fact that it's a bunch of fat white record company executives who are allowing this gangsta shit to see the light of day. Did someone pay you to spin it this way, or are you just generally self-hating?

Idiocy. Seriously. You're like the guy on the FedEX commercial who is 'always wrong'. It's almost humorous at this point.

'allowing' - Dude - People sell ONLY what people will BUY.

Trigg
04-11-2007, 12:53 PM

Your kidding right?? You must be, since a number of record companies are black owned.

Def Jam Recordings is an American based hip-hop record label, owned by Universal Music Group, and operates as a part of The Island Def Jam Music Group. Artists signed by Def Jam include Public Enemy, Redman, Jay-Z, Nas, Method Man, Kanye West, Ludacris, LL Cool J, Young Jeezy, Rick Ross, Joe Budden, Ne-Yo, Rihanna, The Roots, Juelz Santana, Saliva, and Lady Sovereign .

Dame Dash Music Group

M.O.P., short for Mash-Out Posse, is a hardcore American hip hop duo from Brownsville, Brooklyn, comprised of rappers Billy Danzenie (born Eric Murray, November 15, 1974), and Lil' Fame (born Jamal Grinnage, on April 11, 1976). The duo are known for their colorful (and often violently aggressive) delivery. Although they maintain a strong underground following, they had some minor mainstream success in the early 2000s with the songs "Cold As Ice" and "Ante Up (Remix)". The group has frequently collaborated with DJ Premier.

Trigg
04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
All of whom had to depend on "white" money at first.

so what's their excuse NOW??????????

They're pathetic if they were willing to sell out their entire race, degrade women, and glorify murder just to get ahead a little faster.

All those gangster rappers were just misunderstood choir boys until the big bad white man made them sing about ho's and jackin people up?? :pee:

Gunny
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
All of whom had to depend on "white" money at first.

Of course. Why didn't I know that.:uhoh:

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Okey-dokey, then. I'm happy to have learned something about the recording industry today.

:dance:

Abbey Marie
04-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Okey-dokey, then. I'm happy to have learned something about the recording industry today.

:dance:

Well, that's nice and all, but it would be better in the long run if you would examine why you felt the need to jump to the 'fat, rich evil whites' conclusion so quickly. It might help when you feel like jumping to conclusions on another subject. ;)

typomaniac
04-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, that's nice and all, but it would be better in the long run if you would examine why you felt the need to jump to the 'fat, rich evil whites' conclusion so quickly. It might help when you feel like jumping to conclusions on another subject. ;)There's nothing wrong with jumping to conclusions if they happen to be the correct ones. :D

Yurt
04-11-2007, 07:58 PM

I hate to say it, but sheesh, I think you are right. Everyone, please click this link and see these fat white bastards talking how it really is.

shocking (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=95805349)

click that link, listen for less than 45 seconds to that fat white record company exec on the record as being racist. The guy actually says the N word.

shocked, appalled, i am going to join the boycotters

Please don't click around kids or work

Dilloduck
04-12-2007, 07:17 AM
The black community is upset that whites are using a word that (with the assistance of ebonics) THEY COINED THEMSELVES !!!!

Yurt
04-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I hate to say it, but sheesh, I think you are right. Everyone, please click this link and see these fat white bastards talking how it really is.

shocking (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=95805349)

click that link, listen for less than 45 seconds to that fat white record company exec on the record as being racist. The guy actually says the N word.

shocked, appalled, i am going to join the boycotters

Please don't click around kids or work

Come on typo and loosy. I know you both have seen this. So what do you think? If you don't reply, you are absolute worthless and hypocritical.

typomaniac
04-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Come on typo and loosy. I know you both have seen this. So what do you think? If you don't reply, you are absolute worthless and hypocritical.I stand by what I said in post #10. What else do you want? :dunno:

loosecannon
04-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Come on typo and loosy. I know you both have seen this. So what do you think? If you don't reply, you are absolute worthless and hypocritical.'

seen what yogurt?

Yurt
04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
I stand by what I said in post #10. What else do you want? :dunno:

Where are the boycotts? Where is your righteous anger? Where are your posts about the issue? Seems it only bothers you if it is done a white man.

Yurt
04-13-2007, 10:03 AM
'

seen what yogurt?

you are silly. even typo knew. loosescrew.

typomaniac
04-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Where are the boycotts? Where is your righteous anger? Where are your posts about the issue? Seems it only bothers you if it is done a white man.Good news: Al Sharpton agrees with you!

I'm not a fan of this kind of "entertainment" either, by the way.

Trigg
04-13-2007, 12:36 PM
This article about sums up what I've thought.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/staticarticles/article55179.html

And when Imus called the Rutgers women's basketball team "tattooed ... nappy-headed hos," he went over the top. The women deserved an apology. There was no cause, no call to use those terms. As Ann Coulter said, they were not fair game.

But Imus did apologize, again and again and again.

And lest we forget, these are athletes in their prime, the same age as young women in Iraq. They are not 5-year-old girls, and they are capable of brushing off an ignorant comment by a talk-show host who does not know them, or anything about them.

Who, after all, believed the slur was true? No one.

Compare, if you will, what was done to them – a single nasty insult – to the savage slanders for weeks on end of the Duke lacrosse team and the three players accused by a lying stripper of having gang-raped her at a frat party.

Duke faculty and talking heads took that occasion to vent their venom toward all white "jocks" on college campuses. Where are the demands for apologies from the talk-show hosts, guests, Duke faculty members and smear artists, all of whom bought into the lies about those Duke kids – because the lies comported with their hateful view of America?
Answer: The issue here is not the word Imus used. The issue is who Imus is – a white man, who used a term about black women only black folks are permitted to use with impunity and immunity.

Whatever Imus' sins, no one deserves to have Al Sharpton – hero of the Tawana Brawley hoax, resolute defender of the fake rape charge against half a dozen innocent guys, which ruined lives – sit in moral judgment upon them.

"It is our feeling that this is only the beginning. We must have a broad discussion on what is permitted and not permitted in terms of the airwaves," says Sharpton. It says something about America that someone with Al's track record can claim the role of national censor.

Little-Acorn
04-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Let me get this straight.

Some people here are trying to say, that if money that was owned by some white people at some point, is used IN ANY WAY to further the production of black rap music, by blacks, for blacks, and promoting the things that some blacks often say about other blacks with no ill effects or derogatory insinuations....

...then it's all the white guys' fault?

Got it.

Tell me, if a black man takes a kitchen knife and stabs somebody with it, and it is later proven that, though the knife was made by a company owned by a black man with mostly black workers... but a white guy owned some of the stock of that company... is that also "all the white guys' fault"?

typomaniac
04-13-2007, 02:18 PM
A post of more than 20 words that doesn't contain a reprint of some article?

I think I'm gonna faint.... :laugh2:

Gunny
04-13-2007, 02:22 PM

I think I'm gonna faint.... :laugh2:

Obviously you need to meet RSR ....:poke:

jackass
04-13-2007, 02:25 PM

Some people here are trying to say, that if money that was owned by some white people at some point, is used IN ANY WAY to further the production of black rap music, by blacks, for blacks, and promoting the things that some blacks often say about other blacks with no ill effects or derogatory insinuations....

Got it.

Tell me, if a black man takes a kitchen knife and stabs somebody with it, and it is later proven that, though the knife was made by a company owned by a black man with mostly black workers... but a white guy owned some of the stock of that company... is that also "all the white guys' fault"?

Welcome to America! :salute:

Yurt
04-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Good news: Al Sharpton agrees with you!

I'm not a fan of this kind of "entertainment" either, by the way.

This must be the third time:

Where are the boycotts? Where are you posts of indignation? Those people are still selling records and in fact, are increasing their sales.

Please tell me you see the difference.

Yurt
04-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Got it.

I think you bring a great point. Sadly and predictably, the only response from the left is:

I think I'm gonna faint....

Proving, again, that when they know they are wrong, it is best to personally attack, thus hoping to distract from others from the truth.

typomaniac
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM
This must be the third time:

Where are the boycotts? Where are you posts of indignation? Those people are still selling records and in fact, are increasing their sales.

Please tell me you see the difference.Okay, Jeez: I'll never buy a rap record that demeans women and glorifies violence ever again.

I hope no one else does, either. I don't approve of such "music."

NOW are you happy? :rolleyes:

manu1959
04-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Okay, Jeez: I'll never buy a rap record that demeans women and glorifies violence ever again.

damn dude....you are giving up rap....quite the sacrifice....:poke:

Yurt
04-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Okay, Jeez: I'll never buy a rap record that demeans women and glorifies violence ever again.

No, where is your boycott? Where is Al Sharkton's and/or Jesse the "faithful" Jackson's boycott?

I am glad though you see the point. I respect that. Though I don't think you really see the true point, I don't really believe you think the two things are equal. I honestly believe you think Imus is worse, for his one stupid comment, than all those rappers and ordinary black guys that call ordinary black women nappy headed hos. It really sad.

To be honest, you seem to be open do discussing things, at least more than loosecannon. My question to you is:

Why so much effort for white shockjock, and so little effort for a multitude of black musicians/comics, whatnot?

Would appreciate a response.

typomaniac
04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
damn dude....you are giving up rap....quite the sacrifice....:poke:Okay then: I'll never buy air time to advertise on any radio station that plays music like the kind you and Yurk so hate.

THAT should do some damage... :laugh2:

Yurt
04-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Okay then: I'll never buy air time to advertise on any radio station that plays music like the kind you and Yurk so hate.

Nice try. See my post right above yours. I would really appreciate your response.

Oh, and how are your protest signs coming?

manu1959
04-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Okay then: I'll never buy air time to advertise on any radio station that plays music like the kind you and Yurk so hate.

damn dude you could close down the industry.....:laugh2:

typomaniac
04-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Nice try. See my post right above yours. I would really appreciate your response.

Oh, and how are your protest signs coming?Honest truth? There are other things I'd prefer to protest that are a lot more important to me. I've only got 24 hours in a day...

Yurt
04-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Honest truth? There are other things I'd prefer to protest that are a lot more important to me. I've only got 24 hours in a day...

Apparently not, you have spent more time bitching about Imus in the past week than you have ever spend time about the BLACK musicians or non-musicians calling their women:

hos

bitches

nappy

and then

nappy head hos

You know it is true. It hurts to admit it. But you know it is true.

Sad. Very racist sad.

typomaniac
04-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Apparently not, you have spent more time bitching about Imus in the past week than you have ever spend time about the BLACK musicians or non-musicians calling their women:

hos

bitches

nappy

and then

nappy head hos

You know it is true. It hurts to admit it. But you know it is true.

Sad. Very racist sad.I don't know where you're getting this from; I really don't. I've barely said a word about Imus in the past week.