PDA

View Full Version : A Real Live Current Event

Kathianne
07-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I bought my home in 1995, for C$130k. 2 years ago, was valued over $300k. Now am looking at ?

Lots of wear and tear. Carpet wasn't great when I moved in, hasn't aged well. I can't afford to replace. I cleaned it for the umteenth time.

The whole house has been painted, the realtor thought it fine, disagreed with paining it 'beige.' New ceramic tile in kitchen, baths, and entry.

Smoke from cigs a problem. After cleaning carpets, no more smoking in house, but alas, can Freebreeze cover all?

Kathianne
07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Wow, I made the older son call the realtor that had been through 6 weeks ago. Suddenly, we've 5 bikes, 4 dressers, and 8 pairs of roller blades out for trash. 4 lamps, 5 multi lamps, 4 storage units. Damn. How much easier it would have been for me to clean without the garbage?

Little-Acorn
07-15-2009, 07:05 PM
No two ways about it, Kathianne. You'll have to swear off smoking cigars.

:eek:

Seriously, can you refinance, take some cash out to replace the carpets and whatever else is needed, then sell and pay off the re-fi?

BTW, what kind of bikes? Got any Schwinns or Treks? Or tandem (bicycle built for two) bikes?

9/12er
07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I bought my home in 1995, for C$130k. 2 years ago, was valued over $300k. Now am looking at ?

Lots of wear and tear. Carpet wasn't great when I moved in, hasn't aged well. I can't afford to replace. I cleaned it for the umteenth time.

The whole house has been painted, the realtor thought it fine, disagreed with paining it 'beige.' New ceramic tile in kitchen, baths, and entry.

Smoke from cigs a problem. After cleaning carpets, no more smoking in house, but alas, can Freebreeze cover all?

From someone who currently works for a mortgage company (who will remain nameless) I can tell you this: As long as you haven't taken out ALL of your available equity, and you're not upside down, look at it this way - you're still going to come out on top. I understand that in a "normal" market, real estate values typically double every ten years, but in this market, I would just be happy to come out above my head...

As far as the smoking... I moved in with my Godfather after him and his father had smoked in their home for over 40 years. With no painting done within that time frame... I wish I had pics to show people, it looked like someone took liquid nicotine and sprayed all the walls down. KILZ is the best brand of paint to get rid of that stuff - even the smell (since it stays in the walls) I would call Stanley Steamer (or someone like that, a professional) to come take care of the carpets, it's usually not too expensive...

I hope everything works out well for you... Where is the home you're selling???

Kathianne
07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
No two ways about it, Kathianne. You'll have to swear off smoking cigars.

:eek:

BTW, what kind of bikes? Got any Schwinns or Treks? Or tandem (bicycle built for two) bikes?

Both but they are for the trollers, I'm not keeping anything. One son is saying he wants to sent bikes to his little brothers, I'm like, "fine, throw them in your car". We'll see.

9/12er
07-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I was mistaken - I did have a pic (look at the walls behind the funny lookin' guy - they WERE white when the home was purchased)

Little-Acorn
07-15-2009, 07:24 PM
My Mom smoked a LOT, and gave us some of her furniture later in life. The cherrywood bedside table that bore her most-used ashtray, and that had a wastebasket in front of it for years where supposedly-dead cigs sometimes smoldered for hours, was BLACK from concentrated smoke stains. Took some very environmentally-unfriendly aircraft cleaner to finally get them off.

C'est la vie. Try getting bicycle chain grease out of your favorite shirt sometime.

Kathianne
07-15-2009, 09:23 PM
What will be will be. All is now in trash. The scavengers can pick through it. Funny thing, this is probably the 'best pickings' though the lowest number in past 6 weeks. We used 12 stickers at $2.40 each. The past 6 weeks, more like 12-18. Lots of stuff.