PDA

View Full Version : Hoppin John

chloe
07-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have a fantastic family recipe for hoppin john ?

Kathianne
07-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Does anyone have a fantastic family recipe for hoppin john ?

I never heard of it, but found many recipes via google. I'll give the Southern one and Emeril's, I've used many recipes from both and always have had success:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/blackeyedpeas/r/bl30605m.htm

Considered a lucky meal for New Years Day, serve this Southern tradition with cornbread.
Ingredients:

1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon bacon drippings
2 cans (about 16 ounces each) black-eyed peas, slightly drained, or about 3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3 cups hot cooked rice
salt to taste
sliced sweet onion, optional
Preparation:

In a large saucepan sauté chopped onion in bacon drippings until tender. Stir in black-eyed peas, ham, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes; stir in hot cooked rice and salt. Serve Hoppin' John hot with sliced onion.
Hoppin' John recipe serves 4 to 6.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_9900_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html

Hoppin' John
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse

Prep Time:15 minInactive Prep Time:0 minCook Time:50 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
10 servings
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large ham hock
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 pound black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed
1 quart chicken stock
Bay leaf
1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
Salt, black pepper, and cayenne
3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
3 cups steamed white rice

Directions
Heat oil in a large soup pot, add the ham hock and sear on all sides for 4 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, cook for 4 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaves, thyme, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the peas are creamy and tender, stir occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add more water or stock. Adjust seasonings, and garnish with green onions. Serve over rice.

chloe
07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks Kathianne your a Doll !!! When I was young I visited my uncle he is from Bermuda and we made hoppin john together, I was thinking about that the other day, and I thought I should make some for my kids. It seems we have a lot of debate policy chefs so I thought what heck I will see if anyone has heard of this. :cool:

Kathianne
07-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Thanks Kathianne your a Doll !!! When I was young I visited my uncle he is from Bermuda and we made hoppin john together, I was thinking about that the other day, and I thought I should make some for my kids. It seems we have a lot of debate policy chefs so I thought what heck I will see if anyone has heard of this. :cool:

Like I said, I hadn't heard of it, so googled. Since two of my favs showed up, with many more I didn't post, thought I'd give you those.

I'm 'just shy' IMO of being a gourmet cook. I'm quite willing to go over the top and try things I've not before. In all honesty, only in the past few years. Doing lots with different cuts of meats, vegetarian, and way spicy recipes.

I love cooking and entertaining. In truth, one of the best things if my house sells quickly enough is that I can furnish my kitchen with all the small appliances I wish. Obviously if going into an apartment a commercial oven is out, but who knows what the future holds.

chloe
07-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Like I said, I hadn't heard of it, so googled. Since two of my favs showed up, with many more I didn't post, thought I'd give you those.

I'm 'just shy' IMO of being a gourmet cook. I'm quite willing to go over the top and try things I've not before. In all honesty, only in the past few years. Doing lots with different cuts of meats, vegetarian, and way spicy recipes.

I love cooking and entertaining. In truth, one of the best things if my house sells quickly enough is that I can furnish my kitchen with all the small appliances I wish. Obviously if going into an apartment a commercial oven is out, but who knows what the future holds.

no kidden, you may be cooking up a debate policy feast for all your pals to celebrate your new chapter in life !!!! he he

Kathianne
07-17-2009, 05:09 PM
no kidden, you may be cooking up a debate policy feast for all your pals to celebrate your new chapter in life !!!! he he

Tell you what, if the house sells quick, I'll do just that. Let you all bring the booze, but I'll do the vittles. ;) They'll be good, promise. :laugh2:

Beef, fish, shell fish, chicken, and pork. Not too mention appetizers and desserts! Brusectta/shrimp/salads and lemon/chocolate drive me wild!

emmett
07-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Y'all are making me hungary! Yum Yum ...Hoppin John & Cornbread, Add in Chicken n Dumplings and I'm in!

hjmick
07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
New Year's Day for me always includes some Texas caviar.

Mr. P
07-19-2009, 09:29 PM
New Year's Day for me always includes some Texas caviar.

No hog jaw with them peas?

hjmick
07-19-2009, 09:49 PM
No hog jaw with them peas?

Sometimes ham hocks. And I like mine warm, unlike most recipes.

Mr. P
07-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Sometimes ham hocks. And I like mine warm, unlike most recipes.

:thumb: