PDA

View Full Version : Walter Cronkite Dead

namvet
07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Walter Leland Cronkite, a legendary reporter and anchorman who was once voted the "most trusted man in America" died today at age 92.

story (story)

chesswarsnow
07-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. He was a stand up guy.
2. He will be missed.
3. May he rest in peace.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chloe
07-17-2009, 09:44 PM
He was a pioneer news anchor and seemed like an all around good guy, he will be remembered well.

Mr. P
07-17-2009, 10:06 PM
I lost respect for the guy long ago. He opened a journalistic can of worm by injecting his opinion into the news..wrong then and look what we have now.

Over time, his words became a watershed marking the place where the gradual erosion of the MSM’s credibility began.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/02/walter_cronkite_vietnam_and_th.html

stephanie
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
May he rest....?

Little-Acorn
07-17-2009, 11:47 PM
I didn't watch much TV during Cronkite's era, though of course I've heard of him and know who he was. But I'm way short on details.

Was he the first of the journalists who showed how it should be done (in a good way)?

Or was he the first of the journalists who began mixing his opinion with what should have been unbiased news, leaving out some things he didn't agree with while boosting things he did agree with, etc? Basically the progenitor of the Brokaws, Rathers etc.?

Can anyone fill me in here?

hjmick
07-17-2009, 11:54 PM
By my reckoning, it wasn't until Vietnam that he started injecting his opinion into the his reports. Even then, he didn't say anything the rest of the nation wasn't thinking. I don't recall much opinion after that, until he retired anyway. After retirement he was more vocal in his liberal views.

Little-Acorn
07-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Was it Cronkite who announced during a newscast, after the Tet offensive, that we had lost the war?

hjmick
07-18-2009, 12:15 AM
Was it Cronkite who announced during a newscast, after the Tet offensive, that we had lost the war?

Yeppers.

To which Johnson famously said, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost the country."

Some say this played a role in Johnson's decision to not seek a second term.

Gaffer
07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
He was the first of the liberal (communist) reporters.

He did declare the Vietnam war lost following the TET offensive.

He taught the media how to manipulate the news and therefore control the people.

I'm surprised there isn't 24/7 coverage going now.

Hopefully his buddy jimmah will follow soon.