PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Continues

Kathianne
07-18-2009, 04:20 AM
I woke up at 3 am, freezing. I was under a blanket by my nose was cold! I had to close all the windows, the outdoor thermostat is reading 56F. This is mid-July in Chicago. Brrrr, I might as well be in Upper Michigan.

Well being wide awake, I thought I'd see if I could find something to back up what seems to be our 'weird weather', so went to Tom Skilling and yep:

http://www.wgntv.com/weather/skillingcentral/

WGN Weather Center Blog
WGN-TV Chief Meteorologist Tom Skilling and the WGN Weather Center staff provide daily coverage of weather in the Chicago area.
First July 17 in 53 years to reach no higher than Friday's 70 degrees
By Tom Skilling on July 17, 2009 10:22 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)
What a summer! Many Chicago area residents are just shaking their heads -- some pleased by the lack of heat, others disappointed at the failure of hot weather to gain a foothold here. Extremely rare mid-summer lake-effect rains were pouring down on sections of La Porte and Berrien Counties in Indiana and Michigan Friday evening -- just the latest meteorological twist in a summer of topsy-turvy weather across the region.
July has slipped to the coolest to date here in 42 years -- its 68.7 degree average temperature running nearly 5 degrees behind the long-term (138-year) average. Friday's 70-degree high was the first time in 53 years a July 17 temperature failed to rise above 70 -- you'd have to travel back to a 64-degree high 85 years ago to find a July 17 that was cooler. In Rockford, Friday's 67-degree high broke the record for the date, becoming the coolest July 17 high on the books. The reading was Rockford's fourth record-low daytime maximum to fall since June 30.

July's average Chicago highs rank among the two lowest in 50 years at O'Hare
The average high for July's first 17 days has been 77.5 degrees -- the second coolest in the 50 years of O'Hare Airport weather records dating back to 1959. Only 1967's 76.2-degree tally has been cooler.

Kathianne
07-18-2009, 05:44 AM
and looks like I'm not alone:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2009/07/024075.php

July 17, 2009 Posted by John at 9:09 PM
1816 was the "year without a summer." There were several causes of the abnormally cold weather that year, as this source recounts:

The year 1816 is still known to scientists and historians as "eighteen hundred and froze to death" or the "year without a summer." It was the locus of a period of natural ecological destruction not soon to be forgotten. During that year, the Northern Hemisphere was slammed with the effects of at least two abnormal but natural phenomena. These events were mysterious at the time, and even today they are not well understood.
First, 1816 marked the midpoint of one of the Sun's extended periods of low magnetic activity, called the Dalton Minimum. This particular minimum lasted from about 1795 to the 1820s. It resembled the earlier Maunder Minimum (about 1645-1715) that was responsible for at least 70 years of abnormally cold weather in the Northern Hemisphere. The Maunder Minimum interval is sandwiched within an even better known cool period known as the Little Ice Age, which lasted from about the 14th through 19th centuries.

But the event that most severely shaped 1816's cold phenomena was the cata-strophic eruption the previous year of Tambora on the island of Sumbawa, in modern-day Indonesia. The ash clouds and sulfur aerosols spewed by this volcano were widespread, chilling the climate of the Northern Hemisphere by blocking sunlight with gases and particles....

Mr. P
07-18-2009, 08:21 AM
and looks like I'm not alone:

Nope not alone. They say we may set record lows here this weekend.

Nukeman
07-18-2009, 10:18 AM
We live close to Kathianne and we are only supposed to reach 68-69 for a high today...... Hmm we are usualy in the high 80's and low 90's right now......

Insein
07-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Just more evidence that there are variables to the equation that we can't even fathom. Therefore, how can any reasonable scientific mind declare the debate over and demand to spend billions of dollars on stopping something that is unproven?

Global Warming = Greatest Hoax of the 21st century

Nukeman
07-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Just more evidence that there are variables to the equation that we can't even fathom. Therefore, how can any reasonable scientific mind declare the debate over and demand to spend billions of dollars on stopping something that is unproven?

Global Warming = Greatest Hoax of the 21st century

Agreed 100%!!!!!!!!

Binky
07-19-2009, 06:09 PM
I woke up at 3 am, freezing. I was under a blanket by my nose was cold! I had to close all the windows, the outdoor thermostat is reading 56F. This is mid-July in Chicago. Brrrr, I might as well be in Upper Michigan.

Well being wide awake, I thought I'd see if I could find something to back up what seems to be our 'weird weather', so went to Tom Skilling and yep:

http://www.wgntv.com/weather/skillingcentral/

Well, I'm in upper mid Michigan and I enjoy the milder temps at night. So much easier to sleep and not have to use the air conditioner. Anyway, since global warming and global cooling is what the earth has been doing since the beginning of time, we may as well get on with living our lives, and let it do its thing as there's nothing we can do to stop it. Much to the unhappiness of Gore and his minions who keep trying to find ways of milking us for more money in taxes touting this or that. Anything he has to say is laden through and through with bullpucky.

namvet
07-19-2009, 06:11 PM
low 50's here at night for 3 days. 3 new records broke

Binky
07-19-2009, 06:15 PM
low 50's here at night for 3 days. 3 new records broke

Ahhhhh......great sleeping weather and doesn't cost a dime. Imagine that.

namvet
07-19-2009, 06:18 PM
yeah really somthing to be able to shut the AC off for now 4 days in a row. in July???? i hear P&L weeping

Binky
07-19-2009, 06:22 PM
yeah really somthing to be able to shut the AC off for now 4 days in a row. in July???? i hear P&L weeping

Yeah, it's wonderful. I love milder temps and hate it above 80 as it gets very humid and nasty. I'm happy for the break on my electric bill. Doesn't hurt my feelings a bit.