PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of term limits??

stephanie
04-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Speaking in another thread about how corrupt politicians can become(and this means both Republican and Democrat)...

What are your thoughts on term limits for people in Congress...

I've always liked the idea, seeing some of the shit we see going on...

:salute:

Birdzeye
04-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I like the idea as well. Maybe not a lifetime limit, but requiring them to take a hiatus after x number of terms before they can return.

Nienna
04-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me!

MtnBiker
04-11-2007, 04:53 PM
We already have term limits, if people would vote effectively.

stephanie
04-11-2007, 04:56 PM

True..
But it seems we can't rely on ourselves....:laugh2:

glockmail
04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Like west Virginians?

There should be a maximum of 4 terms in the House and 2 in the Senate. But it will never happen so fuggetaboutit.

MtnBiker
04-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Like west Virginians?

No, the election cycle itself. A represenative can be removed from office by way of the ballot box rather than forced through legislation. I believe term limits on the President is good. For other elected officials the ballot box is better.

glockmail
04-11-2007, 05:08 PM
No, the election cycle itself. A represenative can be removed from office by way of the ballot box rather than forced through legislation. I believe term limits on the President is good. For other elected officials the ballot box is better. That's nice in theory, but as Robert C. Byrd, Democrat, West Virginia has proven for what, 50 years now, he has a strangle hold on his electorate, along with a gazillion dollars in federal pork to his state.

The practical problem is that these guys get on committees, use them to butress support for themselves, and then you can't get them off. They become the big bully on top of the swing set.

MtnBiker
04-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I can't dispute that Glock, you are right. However my quarrel is not with the elected offical rather the voters(or non-voters) that continue to reelect a person. I do realize that an incumbent has an advantage in an election.

glockmail
04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
The voters get what they deserve.

5stringJeff
04-11-2007, 08:49 PM
I am in favor of term limits. I would set somewhat high limits: 10 terms (20 years) for the House and 3 terms (18 years) for the Senate.

LiberalNation
04-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm for term limits because the incumbent always has a much better chance of getting reelected over a challenger unless he is really a POS. We don’t want lifers, they get too set in their ways, the world of politics needs fresh blood from time to time or it gets stale.