View Full Version : Cooking with Mr. P…..CHICKEN KIEV

Mr. P
01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
*Easily cut for one or two servings.

CHICKEN KIEV
8 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
8 tbsp. cold butter
4 green onion, chopped well
seasoned bread crumbs (plain is ok, Italian is better)
Oil fry frying
2 eggs, beaten well
salt

Pound breast with a wooden mallet between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap to 1/4 inch thickness.
When chicken is pounded, place a "butter pat" in the center of each, salt to taste and roll up lengthwise, tuck edges into as you roll. Refrigerate for 40 mins. * It should look like a biscuit when it’s rolled and tucked. *The tuck is important so that the butter remains inside while cooking.
Coat each roll with the egg, and roll in bread crumbs until well coated.
Heat oil over medium to medium high (350-360 degrees) and brown chicken on all sides, reduce heat slightly and continue cooking, turn occasionally, until done. Time varies depending on the size of the breast, typically 8-10 mins.

retiredman
01-15-2007, 08:40 PM
having just had my first heart attack in October, I was wondering: could one substitute a dollop of olive oil for the butter?

Mr. P
01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
having just had my first heart attack in October, I was wondering: could one substitute a dollop of olive oil for the butter?

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow you may die!

Seriously, I’ll look into a substitute for you. Olive oil may work well. Or the product called ‘I can’t believe it’s not butter’.

5stringJeff
01-15-2007, 10:31 PM
manfrommaine, I've read that you can substitute olive oil for butter in most recipies in a 3:4 ratio, i.e. if a recipie calls for 4 tablespoons of butter, you can use three tablespoons of olive oil. I'm sure it changes the taste somewhat, and I'm nowhere near the cook that Mr. P is, but that's what I've read.

MtnBiker
01-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Seriously, I’ll look into a substitute for you. Olive oil may work well. Or the product called ‘I can’t believe it’s not butter’.

Yeah but that is probably a transfat.

Mr. P
01-15-2007, 11:25 PM
Yeah but that is probably a transfat.

Maybe..I thought of that. I honestly don't know what it is..We gotta be able to come up with some sub for butter that would be good.

MtnBiker
01-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Well olive oil is good, however for this application it just won't work. The idea for the butter in the Kiev is to remain emusified while cooking and create a butter sauce inside of the chicken. Since olive oil is just oil it cannot be emusified by itself.

MtnBiker
01-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Perhaps a subsistute could be a neufchatel cream cheese, whipped with some fresh chives or other herbs to ones prefrence. It would still contain cholesterol but less as compared to butter.

Mr. P
01-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Perhaps a subsistute could be a neufchatel cream cheese, whipped with some fresh chives or other herbs to ones prefrence. It would still contain cholesterol but less as compared to butter.

Cream cheese? Great idea! Mix in some artificial butter flavor powder, chill, and sub for the butter.