PDA

View Full Version : Feeling I should say somethin

07-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I dont really like being the center of attention unless I have to be. But alot of people here are like family to me. And i feel impressed to say something now. I try to follow impressons.

I've been having health issues for the past year, almost a year and a half. Id be alittle more specific, but quite honestly, even the doctors havent been really good at saying what's wrong with me. I dont know if it's just one thing or multiple things happening all at once. It's wearing away at me lately. And it seems like things keep getting worse.

Symptoms started about a year ago as chest pains. a week or so after that all my jonts started hurting. I spent about 6 months in tests and excruciating pain before one of the my doctors suggested it might be psoriatic arthritis. I thought great, I know what it is now so maybe things will get better.

Back in January for one of my routine tests I found out my blood sugars were erratic and they diagnosed me with diabetes. I spent the last 7 months losing about 45 pounds. My sugars are under control but since then Ive gotten massive headaches. They seem to be similiar to migraines but none of the doctor can diagnose it. Its been getting progressively worse and now I start getting dizzy for no reason.

Part of me has wondered if maybe it was stress. But Im effected even without stress symptoms. I spent most of this afternoon and evening unable to move around because my head was spinning. I nearly passed out several times. However, every time I go see a doctor they say my heads fine and im perfectly healthy for my age.

Im getting frustrated and starting to wonder if maybe there is something underlying causing it all. I don't know. Medicine isnt my profession. Im in constant pain all the time though it shifts in the body. The headaches are really concerning because i start getting dizzy randomly. At work, while driving. at home. Just out trying to have fun. it's made living difficult to say the least.

I don't really know why im sharing all this now. Im one to look for sympathy. and I dont want to feel sorry for myself. I'm coming to terms with the fact that this is something that may never change. I am not sure im willing to give into that totally yet.

Obviously, it hasnt cut into my time much here. But I wouldnt be surprised if it did at some point. Im really learning my limits in alot of areas because of this.

Anyway, like I said I have no clue why im sharing this. I just felt like I should.

gabosaurus
07-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Sometimes you have to trust your doctors and accept your new limitations. Even if it is not something that you would normally do.
As a bi-polar, infertile female with loads of health restrictions, I feel your pain. What you have to do is figure out what you can do and make the most of it.

hjmick
07-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Hang in there Av, and push your doctors for answers. They don't call it "practicing medicine" for nothing.

stephanie
07-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Sometimes it does take awhile to come to the right diagnosis..I know this is easier said than done, but just hang in there and hopefully they will get it right for you..

I'm so sorry to hear your not feeling well..

and remember, we are your friends here..:huddle::huddle:

emmett
07-20-2009, 10:25 PM
We certainly are your friends here and we are most certainly concerned. I would suggest pressing for different opinions. RSR as many know has had a host of health problems over the last few years and just recently experienced some great progress after a proper diagnosis was finally performed. While the symptoms are completely different I would make the point to only point out that perseverence is key. Stay at them.

I would probably venture to read as much about strange diagnosis issues as possible on the net and other forms of media available. The headache issues are confusing because of course this could be unrelated to any other issues or it might be. I would think getting a handle on that to determine if it is related would be the first objective best served.

I am not any kind of authority on Medicine. Like all of us however I have been subjected to a few things and experienced 50 years of life. I am curious of if Vertigo has been suggested. I remember a news story about Nick Esasky (Braves First Baseman a few years back) and many of the symptoms you describe seem to be in line with what i remember reading. The weight thing is always suggested by doctors as it eliminates some things on the chewcklist so to speak. Losing any excess weight and getting sugar under control has to be good no matter what it is that you are dealing with. Congrats on having the discipline to help yourself by accomplishing that mark.

I am hopeful that you will keep down the stress, maintain an optimistic view in anticipation of getting the answers you seek and will continue to be as active as circumstances allow. You are one fine individual my friend and as said, it pains me to think you are suffering in any way. I do hope things get better and I will be thinking of you as I am sure many here will be. In the meantime, stick with a smart and healthy diet until you can learn more and hopefully soon you will find the answers you seek about the problem and able to develop a strategy on healing or dealing, which ever is applicable.

Good luck my friend. Keep us informed and don;t give it a second thought as to whether we are interested.....WE ARE!

crin63
07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
I went through a similar experience from June of 2003 to March of 2007. I was sent to about 50 different doctors. I was prodded and poked, I was told that I was just depressed, I was told I was faking, I was called a liar, I was mocked and laughed at by doctors, I was pushed to the point of giving up. They almost broke me, but for the grace of God I was able to endure and keeping fighting. Finally they did a CT scan of my brain and found that it had been damaged in 3 places by 240 or 480 DC electric current. My life expectancy has been cut short by about 10 years due to all the injuries that I sustained.

Don't give up AV, lean on God and keep fighting. However unseemly it may sound, go to a chiropractor for an exam. My chiropractic treatments have reduced my blood pressure, given me the ability to eat sodium and sugar, it improved my breathing and helped to reduce my fatigue. I could push myself through a week and then be flat on my back for the next 6-8 weeks. Now I can push myself a week and I'm only down for a couple weeks. For me that is a huge improvement.

Trinity
07-21-2009, 07:42 AM
Has your Dr. looked into Fibromylagia?

It is more common for women to develop this, then men. But men do get it as well. Here is a list of symptoms and some sites. You might want to discuss this with your Dr. and get his opinion on it. Keep in mind he may have no experience with this, and may send you to some one else who specializes in this disease.

Common symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome:

* Pain - The pain of fibromyalgia has no boundaries. People describe the pain as deep muscular aching, throbbing, shooting, and stabbing. Intense burning may also be present. Quite often, the pain and stiffness are worse in the morning and you may hurt more in muscle groups that are used repetitively.

* Fatigue - This symptom can be mild in some fibromyalgia patients and yet incapacitating in others. The fatigue has been described as "brain fatigue" in which patients feel totally drained of energy. Many patients depict this situation by saying that they feel as though their arms and legs are tied to concrete blocks, and they have difficulty concentrating, e.g., brain fog.

* Sleep disorder - Most fibromyalgia patients have an associated sleep disorder called the alpha-EEG anomaly. This condition was uncovered in a sleep lab with the aid of a machine that recorded the brain waves of patients during sleep. Researchers found that the majority of fibromyalgia patients could fall asleep without much trouble, but their deep level (or stage 4) sleep was constantly interrupted by bursts of awake-like brain activity. Patients appeared to spend the night with one foot in sleep and the other one out of it.
Sleep lab tests may not be necessary to determine if you have disturbed sleep. If you wake up feeling as though you've just been run over by a Mack truck—what doctors refer to as unrefreshing sleep—it is reasonable for your physician to assume that you have a sleep disorder. Many fibromyalgia patients have been found to have other sleep disorders in addition to the alpha-EEG, such as sleep apnea (as well as the newly discovered form of interrupted breathing called upper airway resistance syndrome, or UARS), bruxism (teeth grinding), periodic limb movement during sleep (jerking of arms and legs), and restless legs syndrome (difficulty sitting still in the evenings).

* Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Constipation, diarrhea, frequent abdominal pain, abdominal gas, and nausea represent symptoms frequently found in roughly 40 to 70% of fibromyalgia patients. Acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) also occurs with the same high frequency.

* Chronic headaches - Recurrent migraine or tension-type headaches are seen in about 70% of fibromyalgia patients and can pose a major problem in coping for this patient group.

* Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome - This syndrome, sometimes referred to as TMJ or TMD, causes tremendous jaw-related face and head pain in one-quarter of fibromyalgia patients. However, a 1997 published report indicated that close to 75% of fibromyalgia patients have a varying degree of jaw discomfort. Typically, the problems are related to the muscles and ligaments surrounding the jaw joint and not necessarily the joint itself.

* Other common symptoms - Premenstrual syndrome and painful periods, chest pain, morning stiffness, cognitive or memory impairment, numbness and tingling sensations, muscle twitching, irritable bladder, the feeling of swollen extremities, skin sensitivities, dry eyes and mouth, dizziness, and impaired coordination can occur. Fibromyalgia patients are often sensitive to odors, loud noises, bright lights, and sometimes even the medications they are prescribed.

* Aggravating factors - Changes in weather, cold or drafty environments, infections, allergies, hormonal fluctuations (premenstrual and menopausal states), stress, depression, anxiety and over-exertion may all contribute to fibromyalgia symptom flare-ups.

http://www.fmnetnews.com/basics-symptoms.php

http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/understanding-fibromyalgia-symptoms

chloe
07-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Trinity I had the same thought, a girl I work with has this and alot of times she can't even come to work because her fibromyalgia is so bad, she has pain all over her body. She gets really bad headache too. But she doesnt get dizzy. I get vertigo alot too I was told it is because Im anemic. Avatar4321 have you had an MRI or just seen regular doctors?

darin
07-21-2009, 08:59 AM
wow. Sorry you're going through this, bro. No matter what I've had wrong with my health, 'not knowing' was always the worst aspect. :(

Gaffer
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
First thing I thought of was Fibromylagia too. It is not real common in men. But it is stress related. Women that have been abused, even years ago, tend to be more susceptible to it. It doesn't even effect everyone the same way.

On top of that it was not a disease that doctors recognized until just recently. It was thought to be psychosomatic. So far there is no cure, just treatment for the pain.

Trinity
07-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Trinity I had the same thought, a girl I work with has this and alot of times she can't even come to work because her fibromyalgia is so bad, she has pain all over her body. She gets really bad headache too. But she doesnt get dizzy. I get vertigo alot too I was told it is because Im anemic. Avatar4321 have you had an MRI or just seen regular doctors?

I just learned about this about a year ago. A women I use to work with told me her daughter had it, and she told me a lot about it. After reading avatar's post that was the first thing that popped into my head.

chesswarsnow
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Sorry bout that,

I just learned about this about a year ago. A women I use to work with told me her daughter had it, and she told me a lot about it. After reading avatar's post that was the first thing that popped into my head.

1. Mine three.
2. My brother has this too.
3. There are some drugs that can help with it.
4. Hang in there buddy.
5. We all shall pray for you buddy.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

PostmodernProphet
07-21-2009, 09:36 PM
you need Dr. House....

hjmick
07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
you need Dr. House....

That cranky bastard fixes everything.