PDA

View Full Version : I have a question to all of you who have served.

Trinity
07-22-2009, 08:03 AM
I just learned of something that I find to be not quite right. However since I have never served, I don't know the rules that those who have, play by.

Here is the situation there is a 31 year old male who served in the Army for about 8-12 years not sure on the exact number, he is an E5 and was planning on making this a career. Apparently this is what happened.....

After my mom passed, my wife had a break down. So I left all that behind and went back to Iraq. When I got back I turned my focus to my family and they didn't like it. Then I borrowed some money from an E-3 being an E-5 and that's what they kicked me out for.

Is that common in the Army?

By the way Gaffer call me and I will tell you who this is, although I suspect you already know. No it is not TJ.

darin
07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I really doubt borrowing money from a friend can get somebody kicked out of service. If he 'extorted' money from an E3, perhaps.

Sounds like he's forgetting something.

Mr. P
07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
I really doubt borrowing money from a friend can get somebody kicked out of service. If he 'extorted' money from an E3, perhaps.

Sounds like he's forgetting something.

What he said.

EDIT: I'm sure CSM can answer this if he see's it.

CSM
07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
I just learned of something that I find to be not quite right. However since I have never served, I don't know the rules that those who have, play by.

Here is the situation there is a 31 year old male who served in the Army for about 8-12 years not sure on the exact number, he is an E5 and was planning on making this a career. Apparently this is what happened.....

After my mom passed, my wife had a break down. So I left all that behind and went back to Iraq. When I got back I turned my focus to my family and they didn't like it. Then I borrowed some money from an E-3 being an E-5 and that's what they kicked me out for.

Is that common in the Army?

By the way Gaffer call me and I will tell you who this is, although I suspect you already know. No it is not TJ.

Hmmm....something is not right about this story. First, it would be very very unusual for any soldier with 8 - 12 years of service to be an E-5, particularly an active duty soldier. There is an "up or out" policy which is enforced to varying degrees depending on the command. Reserves tend to ignore it altogether (that is they waiver the requirement) while active duty Army tends to enforce it more stingently.

Second, it is not unusual for enlisted ranks to borrow money from each other IN SMALL QUANTITIES; if larger sums are involved, it COULD get messy. If the E-5 was not paying the E-3 back in a reasonable manner etc. then yes the E-5 could be prosecuted under UCMJ. For the E-5 to be discharged from the service would require a courtmartial which is a BIG DEAL and has very strict rules of evidence and proof etc.

No soldier would be "kicked out" for wanting to "focus" on his/her family. If by "focus" the soldier means not showing up for duty because he was home babysitting and didn't tell his supervisor or he just didn't feel like showing up for a week or two, then that is something different altogether.

darin
07-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Righto CSM.

Generally, when somebody is involuntarily seperated they say they were the victim and it's the Army's fault!

Such as: "I just wanted to focus on my family" means "I was AWOL."

as you described.

btw - can I borrow $10?

CSM
07-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Righto CSM.

Generally, when somebody is involuntarily seperated they say they were the victim and it's the Army's fault!

Such as: "I just wanted to focus on my family" means "I was AWOL."

as you described.

btw - can I borrow $10?

Sure...but you have to pay me $20 back before payday.

Mr. P
07-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Sure...but you have to pay me $20 back before payday.

Damn loan shark! :laugh2:

CSM
07-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Damn loan shark! :laugh2:

heh... you should see what I charge them for cigarettes!

Mr. P
07-22-2009, 12:17 PM
heh... you should see what I charge them for cigarettes!

:lol:

emmett
07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I would find it hard to believe that the service member would be discharged for anything but a serious violation under the UCMJ such as AWOL, Desertion etc,... Did he possibly steal the money? They don;t just kick guys out for something as simple as described in post #1.

CSM
07-23-2009, 06:15 AM
I would find it hard to believe that the service member would be discharged for anything but a serious violation under the UCMJ such as AWOL, Desertion etc,... Did he possibly steal the money? They don;t just kick guys out for something as simple as described in post #1.

Amen. There is more to the story than has been told on this board.

Trinity
07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

I honestly do not know the whole story, all the info I have is what I gave you all. I am going to try to contact this person and see if I can get more of this story.

I will say I know this person fairly well or at least I did when I was much younger. I don't think he stole any money, but can not say for sure. I do know his wife has some serious mental issues and they have been dealing with this for about 5 years now, his mother passed away 3 years ago, and they have 6 children between the ages of 12 and 2. 5 boy's and the youngest a girl.

I will post more info when I get it.

CSM
07-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I honestly do not know the whole story, all the info I have is what I gave you all. I am going to try to contact this person and see if I can get more of this story.

I will say I know this person fairly well or at least I did when I was much younger. I don't think he stole any money, but can not say for sure. I do know his wife has some serious mental issues and they have been dealing with this for about 5 years now, his mother passed away 3 years ago, and they have 6 children between the ages of 12 and 2. 5 boy's and the youngest a girl.

I will post more info when I get it.

Sounds like that young man has a lot on his plate.

Trinity
07-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Here's what I asked..............

How have you been? And what is up with your posts? I get your angry, and I get you are not in the Army anymore, but what happened?

and his response......

Almost 8 years 2 tours to Iraq a tour to Kuwait and those worthless fucks kicked me out for borrowing money from an E-3, I was E-5. The real reason was because I had to take care of my family more than be a soldier because my wife was pretty bad off. Right now I would be months away from my ten year mark. Shit happens.

what I asked............

So did you go AWOl or something....that just doesn't make sense to me. I know your wife had some mental health issues going on, why didn't they step up to the plate and help you out. It's hard to be a soldier, a husband to a sick wife, and father to 6 kids.

and his response.........

Never AWOL, I just didn't have it in me to fight them. I could have won and stayed in but when you're an Infantryman that's all you are. I couldn't be that anymore, my focus was on my family, and you cant do that for long before you are no good to them.

Mr. P
07-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Here's what I asked..............

How have you been? And what is up with your posts? I get your angry, and I get you are not in the Army anymore, but what happened?

and his response......

Almost 8 years 2 tours to Iraq a tour to Kuwait and those worthless fucks kicked me out for borrowing money from an E-3, I was E-5. The real reason was because I had to take care of my family more than be a soldier because my wife was pretty bad off. Right now I would be months away from my ten year mark. Shit happens.

what I asked............

So did you go AWOl or something....that just doesn't make sense to me. I know your wife had some mental health issues going on, why didn't they step up to the plate and help you out. It's hard to be a soldier, a husband to a sick wife, and father to 6 kids.

and his response.........

Never AWOL, I just didn't have it in me to fight them. I could have won and stayed in but when you're an Infantryman that's all you are. I couldn't be that anymore, my focus was on my family, and you cant do that for long before you are no good to them.

This guy is not forthcoming with the "real" story. An Infantryman is a major asset to the army they are not just tossed because of family problems. His responses are non-answers, IMO.

emmett
07-23-2009, 10:54 PM
This guy is not forthcoming with the "real" story. An Infantryman is a major asset to the army they are not just tossed because of family problems. His responses are non-answers, IMO.

I agree, There has to be a few pieces of this jigsaw puzzle under the couch or something.

I tend to think it is a case of AWOL. The Army does not just kick people out for no reason. I would also think a trip to the Chaplin's office would stimulate some help with the family problems mentioned. even it did result in a hardship, there would be no reason for the Army to use another reason as a way of getting rid of the member or something. Need more details on this one.