PDA

View Full Version : Tell us who you really are

gabosaurus
07-24-2009, 05:24 PM
It is quite obvious how serious DP members take their political and religious views. But how do they affect your personal life?
How do your political and religious viewpoints play into your work, your social life and how you behave at home? How important are your beliefs to you?

Some of you may be surprised that this is the only place that I ever discuss politics. Because I am a liberal and my husband is a conservative, we never discuss politics. My daughter is too young to digest the whole thing. A lot of the people I interact with are notoriously apolitical.
I raise my daughter according to my Christian beliefs. My husband is not very religious, but he doesn't object. My daughter enjoys learning about "the whole God thing."
As a secondary school counselor, politics and religious are taboo subjects. If kids can bring up the subject, I can talk with them about it. But I am not allowed to introduce it.

Kathianne
07-24-2009, 06:30 PM
I was raised talking about politics. Both sides of my family were involved in Democratic politics in the City of Chicago, though my mom first voted Republican when an alderman paid her $10 to vote Democrat. She was just that way.

They moved to the suburbs in 1951, heavily Republican DuPage County (http://www.dupagehistory.org/dupage_roots/Elmhurst_8.htm). They both voted for IKE, like everyone else, even in the city for the most part. Both voted for Kennedy, but by 1963 the affection even for Irish Catholic president was wearing thin.

I'm pretty sure my mom voted Goldwater, but dad went LBJ. Both went for Nixon and voted Republican for president ever after.

At the same time they took my brother and I to hear Martin Luther King Jr speak in Chicago. When he was assassinated we were taken to a prayer service that evening. Until the mid-1980's my parents belonged to ACLU. They were not your average Republicans. :laugh2:

Nearly all of my friends are political, and from both ends of the spectrum, for the most part we don't argue, but discuss. I suppose 'explain' might be more to the point, in the sense rarely does anyone change their minds. There have been times though, where at least all have conceded certain points, so perhaps we do debate. ;)

I dated for a few years, a guy that contributed to Clinton, Kerry, Clinton, and Obama-major democrat fundraiser. He made the Lincoln Bedroom list and bought Clinton's china. During on of Clinton's stays in Chicago, he stayed with my former friend.

As for teaching, well I do not initiate partisan discussions, but when the kids do, we go for it. While DuPage still votes Republican at over 50% it's not in the 80-90% it was when I was a kid, still I find I often have to present the Progressive side of discussion, which can get interesting. :beer:

darin
07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't much like discussing politics, although I share my opinion. I'd always rather make a friend than prove a point. I'm very shy. I'm insecure. My kids are brought up, as best I can, learning how to find absolute truths. My kids, when in a store seeing/hearing a bratty kid, say "Daddy - that's a liberal..." Yes, child, that's typical liberal behaviour. I share with them the evils of whining-until-you-control somebody.

I don't let them say what they don't mean. "You ALAWYS do this and that.." I call them on it "Did you REALLY mean 'always'??" etc.

I'm passionate. I think I'm funny. I have a strong sense of fairness. I believe to be fair to the poor, we should cut social programs, and remind them to be truly happy and successful, they need to stop being lazy (if that's the case), etc.

I'm a strong romantic. I cry at movies and some country music songs.

I take my faith seriously - and work to improve my relationship with Christ.

Hrm...off the top of my head, that's probably it.

hjmick
07-24-2009, 07:32 PM
It is quite obvious how serious DP members take their political and religious views. But how do they affect your personal life?
How do your political and religious viewpoints play into your work, your social life and how you behave at home? How important are your beliefs to you?

Some of you may be surprised that this is the only place that I ever discuss politics. Because I am a liberal and my husband is a conservative, we never discuss politics. My daughter is too young to digest the whole thing. A lot of the people I interact with are notoriously apolitical.
I raise my daughter according to my Christian beliefs. My husband is not very religious, but he doesn't object. My daughter enjoys learning about "the whole God thing."
As a secondary school counselor, politics and religious are taboo subjects. If kids can bring up the subject, I can talk with them about it. But I am not allowed to introduce it.

Who am I…

I am a white, middle aged, twice married male. I like my kids, most of the time, and I love them all of the time. But keep yours the hell away from me if they are capable of ambulating on two legs and under the age of 16. I don’t like yours.

I am slightly liberal, slightly conservative, mostly indifferent. I don’t care about gay marriage, having three daughters, I have mixed emotions about abortion. In a perfect world we wouldn’t need abortion, but then again, in a perfect world there wouldn’t be cancer, so mostly I avoid the issue of abortion. Let the women decide. I believe all drugs, yes all, should be legal. It is not the place of government to dictate what we do or do not put into our bodies. I believe in limited government handouts and pulling yourself up to better circumstances.

I believe in a strong military, small government and even smaller taxes. I believe in my right to own guns (and ammunition) not because I am a “gun nut,” not because I have a desire to kill someone, not because ownership makes me feel like more of man, but because I firmly believe that the second amendment gives us this right and does so for a reason. An armed populace is much more likely to rise up in the face of tyranny than is an unarmed populace (Fear the government that fears your guns). I believe that those who wrote the Bill of rights recognized this and knew, first hand, just how important it is, second only to the freedom of speech. I believe it is no coincidence that these are the first two rights defined in that document.

Born into an Irish Catholic family, I left the church many years ago and hold no religious beliefs. I find that my actions in life as they pertain to others are firmly rooted in the Christian tenets taught to me in my youth. There was a time when I believed as Karl Marx did that religion was the opiate of the masses, as well as the weak minded. This is no longer the case. I have much respect for the beliefs of others, so long as they do not try to convert me, I am very happy being an Agnostic, thank you very much.

My folks did not talk politics. My wife and I rarely talk politics. My youngest daughter asks questions about politics, I answer them as best I can, giving my opinion, and encouraging her to read up on the topic in order to draw her own conclusions. This is the same way I have handled her religious questions. My best friend and I never talk politics.

My beliefs are important to me and I do my best to live what I believe. Principles mean nothing if you ignore them for convenience.

I believe I am a man of good humor, my wife tends to agree. She also thinks I am smart… and a curmudgeon. I tend to agree. I am not quick to anger, but when I get there, it can be scary.

I loathe political correctness. I like a good joke. I often prefer to post an irreverent comment rather than a serious one.

I don’t like going to the beach, and I’m not fond of camping. I’ll do it, but I don’t work and pay a mortgage just to pretend I’m homeless one week a year.

At parties I prefer to observe rather than interact.

I don’t like my neighbors. Not because they are bad people, but because I do not like people in general (present company excluded). I much prefer individuals to people.

I do not suffer fools gladly.

I love my wife unconditionally. She makes me a much better person. She is absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me.

If anything else occurs to me after posting this, I’ll post again.

namvet
07-24-2009, 08:11 PM
im your worst nightmare

gabosaurus
07-24-2009, 09:25 PM
My daughter doesn't know the difference between a liberal and a conservative. And if I have my way, she never will.
I teach her to respect everyone equally, regardless of their faith, nationality or belief.
My daughter's Sunday School class recently discussed why people look different. Why some are white, some are black, etc. The teacher had a great answer: "God created a world of many colors. This included people. This is why people look different, talk different and live different."

im your worst nightmare

I think we all know this by now. :p

Mr. P
07-24-2009, 11:25 PM
My daughter doesn't know the difference between a liberal and a conservative. And if I have my way, she never will.
I teach her to respect everyone equally, regardless of their faith, nationality or belief.
My daughter's Sunday School class recently discussed why people look different. Why some are white, some are black, etc. The teacher had a great answer: "God created a world of many colors. This included people. This is why people look different, talk different and live different."

I think we all know this by now. :p

Totally ignoring evolution and adaption, but then it was in church. Just saying

07-25-2009, 11:09 AM
You want to know who I really am?

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

hjmick
07-25-2009, 11:24 AM
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Stop saying that!

Mr. P
07-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Stop saying that!

I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!!...

:laugh2:Great movie!!

hjmick
07-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!!...

:laugh2:Great movie!!

Yes it is. I enjoyed the book as well.

-Cp
07-25-2009, 12:19 PM

Well, that'd be because most churches teach the truth of how we all got here rather than secular speculation... Just saying.

Mr. P
07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Well, that'd be because most churches teach the truth of how we all got here rather than secular speculation... Just saying.

Right, and the earth is flat. Just saying.

emmett
07-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Right, and the earth is flat. Just saying.

Dah! Otherwise people in the Southern Hemisphere would be upside down.

Kathianne
07-25-2009, 01:00 PM

You mean they aren't? :eek:

Mr. P
07-25-2009, 02:17 PM

Obviously you don't know why God created Velcro!

chesswarsnow
07-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I'm the man who went to Israel in 1993.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

gabosaurus
07-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Talk about getting off topic.

hjmick
07-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, apparently I gave the topic a little too much thought. :D

Mr. P
07-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Topic?

gabosaurus
07-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry. I made the mistake of thinking you could hold coherent thought patterns. :D

Mr. P
07-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry. I made the mistake of thinking you could hold coherent thought patterns. :D

Donno about anyone else but I'm to old to give chit. :eek:

hjmick
07-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Donno about anyone else but I'm to old to give chit. :eek:

Yeah, I stopped that about four years ago myself.

darin
07-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Christians and non Christian otherwise-smart folk ignore things that don't make sense...such as darwinian evolution. It's hysterical to me anyone buys that stuff...some 'magic' started all this...and by some mystical fortune organisms made themselves BETTER over time.. (sigh)

Mr. P
07-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Christians and non Christian otherwise-smart folk ignore things that don't make sense...such as darwinian evolution. It's hysterical to me anyone buys that stuff...some 'magic' started all this...and by some mystical fortune organisms made themselves BETTER over time.. (sigh)

So god said..Asians you look like this, Africans you have black skin and look like this, Europeans you look like this etc...? ain't buyin it.

darin
07-26-2009, 07:07 PM
No - within species - sure it makes since that changes happen. But cross-species changes? Really foolish to consider as a viable option

Said1
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
So god said..Asians you look like this, Africans you have black skin and look like this, Europeans you look like this etc...? ain't buyin it.

And he said 'Canadians, you will be hot and sexy'. It is written, so it will be -just saying. :laugh2:

Mr. P
07-26-2009, 10:44 PM
No - within species - sure it makes since that changes happen. But cross-species changes? Really foolish to consider as a viable option

And that's what's called evolution/adaptation.

cat slave
07-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Just for arguments sake, if we evolved from monkeys, why do we still have
monkeys???:poke:

emmett
07-27-2009, 12:45 AM

This is true. I know we have them because I saw one just last night on the news. He was acting like he was speaking, he was bobbing his head from side to side as if reading a teleprompter, doing some neat tricks like standing on two legs and had some remarkable features indicating that his family appeared to be evolving into a more human form.........but he was a monkey for sure.

HogTrash
07-27-2009, 01:02 AM

As a secondary school counselor, politics and religious are taboo subjects. If kids can bring up the subject, I can talk with them about it. But I am not allowed to introduce it.I am not very tolerant of liberals and could never have a relationship with a woman who didn't share my politics. You and your husband must be very unique people.

Many teachers are liberals and it's good policy to not speak to children about politics in school. I would be angry to find out someone was promoting their political views to my children.

HogTrash
07-27-2009, 01:06 AM
monkeys???:poke:Somebody has to pick the cotton.

emmett
07-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Somebody has to pick the cotton.

:lol:

Sounds like a joke that scooter trash would make.

HogTrash
07-27-2009, 01:23 AM
:lol:

Sounds like a joke that scooter trash would make.Thank you friend!......................I think?

emmett
07-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Is that a shovelhead back there behind you?

I've got a 78 FXE rebuilt from the ground up. I took the AMF out of it, added the expensive set of gaskets, put all new gears in it, installed a chain tensioner which I attribute much better response to, Crane Hi-4 ignition and dual plug heads. Way way better fire. Runs great and does not leak oil. I also put in one of those better oilers.

I've got some others but that is my favorite.

Anyway...welcome to the board. Its great to see you on here and look forward to seeing you brother.

Emmett

Psychoblues
07-27-2009, 02:48 AM
I am an American Veteran, gabby. Glad you asked. There are not many of these sonofabitches that I would associate with.

I married first to a Korean national. Disaster except my son from her. She gave me permanent custody about the same time I fell in total love with my present wife (now 33 years) and her 2 kids. All are college educated and entirely politically responsible, if you know what I mean!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thoroughly a musician, sound man, choreographer, etc...... I do live jamm. 3am ain']t shit.

Don't let these these idiots jam up the truth for you, ok, gabby??!!!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

HogTrash
07-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Is that a shovelhead back there behind you?

I've got a 78 FXE rebuilt from the ground up. I took the AMF out of it, added the expensive set of gaskets, put all new gears in it, installed a chain tensioner which I attribute much better response to, Crane Hi-4 ignition and dual plug heads. Way way better fire. Runs great and does not leak oil. I also put in one of those better oilers.

I've got some others but that is my favorite.

Anyway...welcome to the board. Its great to see you on here and look forward to seeing you brother.

EmmettI've owned about every MC in the world at one time or another I think, including a few Harleys.

Nothing looks, sounds, feels or rides like the big American V-twins...This is one of the Gilroy California, S&S powered Indians.

Arlen Ness handle bars, 4 inch over 36 degree rake front end and hooker pipes.

I tried to load a picture but couldn't get it to work...Sorry.

gabosaurus
07-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I am not very tolerant of liberals and could never have a relationship with a woman who didn't share my politics. You and your husband must be very unique people.

I married a guy who didn't share my political or religious views. But he is otherwise a wonderful man with countless other great qualities. Politics are not very important to me.

Our marriage works because love is about compromise. That is why so many relationships flounder and die -- one or both partners are unable to give in and compromise.
Relationships should be a 50-50 split. One partner should never dictate to the other. Decisions should be discussed and mutually agreed upon.

HogTrash
07-28-2009, 02:55 AM
I married a guy who didn't share my political or religious views. But he is otherwise a wonderful man with countless other great qualities. Politics are not very important to me.

Our marriage works because love is about compromise. That is why so many relationships flounder and die -- one or both partners are unable to give in and compromise.
Relationships should be a 50-50 split. One partner should never dictate to the other. Decisions should be discussed and mutually agreed upon.I agree 100%...I would never think of dictating my womans beliefs.

That is exactly why I would seek out a compatible mate to begin with.

Missileman
07-28-2009, 07:42 AM

This is why we need Federal education standards...the theory is that monkeys and man share a common ancestor and that monkeys evolved along one line and man on another.

emmett
07-28-2009, 09:27 AM
I've owned about every MC in the world at one time or another I think, including a few Harleys.

Nothing looks, sounds, feels or rides like the big American V-twins...This is one of the Gilroy California, S&S powered Indians.

Arlen Ness handle bars, 4 inch over 36 degree rake front end and hooker pipes.

I tried to load a picture but couldn't get it to work...Sorry.

Damn! Sounds great.

I knew you were just old scooter trash.

One of my goals in life is to ride one of my shovels to Alaska and back. I live in Georgia.

My overall goal in life actually is to become financially independent and do nothing but ride around the country sleeping on picnic tables, reading historical markers, fisking and just basically accomplishing nothing but riding around sleeping on picnic tables, reading...........................

Mr. P
07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Damn! Sounds great.

One of my goals in life is to ride one of my shovels to Alaska and back. I live in Georgia.

My overall goal in life actually is to become financially independent and do nothing but ride around the country sleeping on picnic tables, reading historical markers, fisking and just basically accomplishing nothing but riding around sleeping on picnic tables, reading...........................

I think you watched too much of that show that was on when we were kids. Bronson? I don't remember the title. The one were the guy just rode around the Country on his Harley Sprint?:poke:

gabosaurus
07-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I agree 100%...I would never think of dictating my womans beliefs.

That is exactly why I would seek out a compatible mate to begin with.

I sought out a compatible mate as well. We were together six years before we got married.
If more people took the time to get to know each other, this country wouldn't have the problems with divorce that we have.
I take the marriage vows pretty seriously. Particularly the "til death do you part" passage. It is unfortunate that others do not.

Trigg
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I sought out a compatible mate as well. We were together six years before we got married.
If more people took the time to get to know each other, this country wouldn't have the problems with divorce that we have.
I take the marriage vows pretty seriously. Particularly the "til death do you part" passage. It is unfortunate that others do not.

I completely agree with you gabby. To many people get married yet don't take their vows seriously. They split for minor reasons and don't try to work things out.

I just celebrated my 20th anniversary and except for a few rough years, spent being poor and eating Hamberger Helper/chili 3 nights a week, it's been wonderful.

gabosaurus
07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Thank you, Trigg. I feel that there are too many "Wal-Mart marriages" -- people think that if they are dissatisfied with their spouse, they can merely trade in for a new one. Spouses should be like children. Learn to deal with them.

hjmick
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
My wife tells me I am like a child all the time...

HogTrash
07-29-2009, 12:31 AM
I take the marriage vows pretty seriously. Particularly the "til death do you part" passage. It is unfortunate that others do not.It sounds as though you have done well...It seems that many people these days just can't figure out what it's all about and the children suffer for their parents ignorance and selfishness.

crin63
07-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Damn! Sounds great.

Take a few pictures to go along with the rest, so we can keep up. :salute:

namvet
07-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Damn! Sounds great.

a professional dead beat. like me :laugh2:

crin63
07-29-2009, 10:45 AM

WOW!!! Something we can agree on. Well done!

gabosaurus
07-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Amazing, isn't it? There are certain core beliefs that can unite many people, regardless of their other beliefs.

Smurf-Herder
07-29-2009, 08:03 PM
I have too long and wooley a story about myself to go into right now.

But I'll tell you all one thing .............