PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with non-believers?

gabosaurus
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
The Christian faith is largely based on beliefs in certain tenets. Christians take the Bible and the words of God as absolute.

So how do you deal with people who choose not to believe? I have come across a lot of those who believe the Bible is fantasy. They are not exactly atheists. They simple believe in the power that is not the Christian God. Or they don't believe in anything.

I have a difficult time explaining this to my daughter sometimes. She is around my parents and my sister and her husband a lot. None of whom discourage my belief in God, but they don't share it. It's a balancing act of sorts.

Kathianne
07-28-2009, 01:00 PM
The Christian faith is largely based on beliefs in certain tenets. Christians take the Bible and the words of God as absolute.

So how do you deal with people who choose not to believe? I have come across a lot of those who believe the Bible is fantasy. They are not exactly atheists. They simple believe in the power that is not the Christian God. Or they don't believe in anything.

I have a difficult time explaining this to my daughter sometimes. She is around my parents and my sister and her husband a lot. None of whom discourage my belief in God, but they don't share it. It's a balancing act of sorts.

My faith only requires of me to live my faith. Certainly wouldn't refuse to speak about it, on the other hand not an Evangelical in any sense. I have friends that are Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, agnostic, and atheist. I figure the relationship/belief is an individual's to make, God's to judge. My children are very comfortable with others' beliefs of any sort. They were raised Catholic, but celebrated all Jewish holidays also, often going to synagog during high holy days.

07-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Try to be friends.

5stringJeff
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
I am honest with people. I bring up my faith in my conversation, not in order to 'shove it down your throat,' but because it's such an ingrained part of my life that my faith intertwines with everything I do. So people know what I believe. But I don't avoid others just because they don't believe.

crin63
07-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Basically the same as AV and Jeff.

With regards to those who are unsaved and visit my church. I'm willing to be their friend, let them come over to my house and hangout, feed them, take them places with me, invite them to anything I can and basically just love on them.

People I meet away from church is somewhat different. I invite them to church but few ever show up so I'm a little more laid back and wait for the friendship to develop. I write down the things I learn about them in my phone so the next time I run into them I can recall their particulars. My memory has been damaged so I just cant remember without help.

Kathianne
07-28-2009, 07:28 PM
In my church, all that is 'asked' is that one says Christ is our Savior and I'll copy his example. With that said, all that falls short of that, fault of the one trying or the one asking, all is well.

Bottom line for me, Christ KNOWS the problems with earth. He forgives them and perchance even chuckles at those that try to mark up to line.