PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 Virus Innoculations

emmett
07-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Fox News has just announced that Wal-Mart, the prospective new US Government PX for common gooders, is conducting negotiations with government officials as to being the official site for innoculations for the h1n1 virus.

Now that 93 year old guy with one arm and a limp who greets you at the door will be injecting you with the serum that may have to save your life. Makes me feel good.

I frankly would have chosen KFC or Taco Bell. They have late night drive through service which is much more conveneient. I can imagine the folks at Target may have a complaint about that or two. I'm sure the government will have some favors to ask of Wal-Mart in return for co-operation.

Any thoughts on this report?

Mr. P
07-30-2009, 02:45 PM
My thoughts are more on the vaccine. I ain't taken it regardless of where it's given!

-Cp
07-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Only someone ignorant would ever get themselves "innoculated"..

Little-Acorn
07-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Now that 93 year old guy with one arm and a limp who greets you at the door will be injecting you with the serum that may have to save your life.

It says in their contract, that they WON'T have medically trained and qualified personnel there to do the inoculations???

Link?

Kathianne
07-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Fox News has just announced that Wal-Mart, the prospective new US Government PX for common gooders, is conducting negotiations with government officials as to being the official site for innoculations for the h1n1 virus.

Now that 93 year old guy with one arm and a limp who greets you at the door will be injecting you with the serum that may have to save your life. Makes me feel good.

I frankly would have chosen KFC or Taco Bell. They have late night drive through service which is much more conveneient. I can imagine the folks at Target may have a complaint about that or two. I'm sure the government will have some favors to ask of Wal-Mart in return for co-operation.

Any thoughts on this report?

They, meaning Walmart, is behind Obamacare. Enough said.

cat slave
08-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Ditto! The first rehearsal for Obamascare!

mundame
08-02-2009, 11:38 AM
My thoughts are more on the vaccine. I ain't taken it regardless of where it's given!

If you're a "seasoned citizen," you aren't likely to be offered it.

Older people are so far down on the list that I have yet to see us mentioned in the articles about priorities.

They are hopeful we have some immunity, and the disease, mild as it is now, does seem to be hitting younger people more. That may be because older people have some immunity, of course....I hope that's all it is.

mundame
08-02-2009, 11:40 AM
That could be a big boost for Wal*Mart, all right.

However, remember that flu vaccines are commonly given in grocery stores, libraries, etc., every year. I normally go to a supermarket near me for mine; I like to get them and I've gotten the shot in the grocery store (they have a sign on the door when it's scheduled) for years now. So this isn't that unusual an idea.

Mr. P
08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
If you're a "seasoned citizen," you aren't likely to be offered it.

Older people are so far down on the list that I have yet to see us mentioned in the articles about priorities.

They are hopeful we have some immunity, and the disease, mild as it is now, does seem to be hitting younger people more. That may be because older people have some immunity, of course....I hope that's all it is.

I've notice that older folks haven't been mentioned in these "priority" groups too..The odd thing is they are mentioned every yr for the typical flu vaccine. Gotta make ya wonder why. I'm not thinking it's immunity as much as it may be susceptibility to the negative effects of an experimental vaccine. Who knows?

mundame
08-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I've notice that older folks haven't been mentioned in these "priority" groups too..The odd thing is they are mentioned every yr for the typical flu vaccine. Gotta make ya wonder why. I'm not thinking it's immunity as much as it may be susceptibility to the negative effects of an experimental vaccine. Who knows?

I know, among many others. I have a side-interest in epidemiological disease spread, and also I study WWI pretty deeply, when the really bad epidemic ran.

Normal influenza hits elderly hardest, then very young children. So elderly people are targeted preferentially with normal flu shots.

This Mexican flu is hitting pregnant women and other young adults and school age children hardest, so far. That was the pattern in 1918 and 1919 also, and it's why troops spread it so far and so many soldiers got it --- it probably did help stop WWI. But it was also worse than the war.

A WHOLE lot more people died of the Spanish Influenza than died in WWI from the fighting --- 10 million died on the battlefield, and at least as many more civilians, but maybe 40 million to 100 million died of the Spanish Influenza.

Two points: 1) The 1918 flu was lethal in the fall. And mostly to young adults, for reasons not understood.

2) But it was NOT lethal, it was mild, in the summer! Like now.

So they are worried, of course. But there is NO reason to suppose it will mutate to a more virulent version this time. Just because it did mutate once, doesn't mean it will this time.

Let's don't cry till we're hurt. We're a lot better able to deal with influenza now, for one thing, and also there won't be wartime censorship against even mentioning it in all the combatant countries like there was in 1918. (So the troops would continue to move, of course.)

But I'll tell you what --- if they offer me an immunization after all the younger people get theirs, I'm taking it and thanking them for it. Because this isn't like that 1976 Pres. Ford fiasco when there were some 7 cases at Fort Dix and they panicked ---- this thing has spread already all over the world like a wildfire.

cat slave
08-03-2009, 12:33 AM
Ive read that the 1918 flu hit the young and strong and the theory was that
the response of the immune system caused it to be lethal. I guess the
healthier one was the harder the flu hit.

Im wanting to know why no one has considered that swine flu could be a
bio attack.
How convenient to plant it in Mexico where conditions would be right for
it to spread then waltz right over the border to our country then on and on.
Just a thought! Since we have no border!

mundame
08-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Ive read that the 1918 flu hit the young and strong and the theory was that
the response of the immune system caused it to be lethal. I guess the
healthier one was the harder the flu hit.

I haven't heard that idea.

My personal guess is that related influenzas go around occasionally, so older people are more likely to have caught them and are thus more or less immune; or get less severe disease. That's what they think about this one; that there is some immunity from the 1919 disease and for related diseases for some years later that went around and that's why older people may be more immune than younger people.

Im wanting to know why no one has considered that swine flu could be a
bio attack.
How convenient to plant it in Mexico where conditions would be right for
it to spread then waltz right over the border to our country then on and on.
Just a thought! Since we have no border!

Yeah, I thought about that, too. But I don't think so now, because who would it benefit? It's already swept around the world, no country will be able to avoid it and it hits all kinds of people. Also, it's mild, at least now. I think it's a bio attack, all right ----- an attack on us by the virus itself.

I think a bio attack by humans on humans would be severe so as to cause panic, and be limited in some way. Like the anthrax attack. That's why smallpox would be such a bad bioweapon: it would kill the Earth, since no one is immune anymore. Well, except for those of us who still have the scars on our upper left arms!