PDA

View Full Version : Shut up! Coming in the Obama wind

Trinity
07-31-2009, 09:06 AM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lWHgUE9AD4s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lWHgUE9AD4s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Monkeybone
07-31-2009, 10:37 AM
makes some good points in the video. Instead of just saying "Well, that is your opinion", apparently you have to silence the oppostion now.

but I also want to say that you see it on both sides when they are debating. Shut up, You're crazy, You're just wrong, or speaking louder and louder the same thing over and over seems to be the way to discuss issues now. We have lost the eloquence of debating and the "agreeing to disagree" mentality that is needed.

I guess that was just too hard and shouting is easier.

mundame
07-31-2009, 05:51 PM
Well said, Monkeybone.

Agreeing to disagree is better. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Gaffer
07-31-2009, 06:20 PM
If I'm absolutely right, why should I agree to disagree? That's just another way to say shut up.

Trinity
07-31-2009, 06:25 PM
If I'm absolutely right, why should I agree to disagree? That's just another way to say shut up.

released from hospital about 24 hours ago, and doesn't miss a beat. :coffee:

Gaffer
07-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Well somethings just cry for response and I have never been one to shut up.

mundame
08-02-2009, 11:34 AM

Not at all. "Let a thousand flowers bloom" does not mean "shut up," it means to tolerate a lot of different opinions being around rather than trying to kill out and stomp down all that differ from your opinion.

Which doesn't mean YOU have to have a thousand opinions --- this reminds me of a passage in a C.S. Lewis book in which a young man was trying to avoid argument by saying, "I realize there can be two opinions about that," and the older man says, "There can be a thousand opinions on everything! But once you know the answer, there's only one opinion."

Which I think means, we each know what we know.

Others may not, however. Do we leave them happy in their ignorance, or do we molest them? That is the question.

namvet
08-02-2009, 03:08 PM
"weapons of mass distortion" is right on