PDA

View Full Version : Unusual vapor trail causes speculation

stephanie
01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
A photograph taken in Beavercreek has some hoping it's proof of top-secret 'pulse jet' tests.
By By Jim DeBrosse

Staff Writer

Monday, January 08, 2007

BEAVERCREEK — A Beavercreek man's photograph of an unusual aircraft condensation trail has sparked a high-flying debate among scientists and aviation fans over whether the Air Force or NASA is flying an aerospace vehicle with an exotic new propulsion system.

The photo of the vapor trail, taken Nov. 10 by amateur meteorologist Bill Telzerow from his backyard, shows a distinctive "doughnuts-on-a-rope" shape.
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/98/18/image_5018981.jpg
The photo has raised questions about whether an experimental propulsion system that uses pulse detonation engine technology is being tested here. The propulsion system could potentially hurtle manned craft at six times the speed of sound (Mach 6).

The photo has been downloaded several thousand times each day since it was posted on the Web a week ago by the Federation of American Scientists (www.fas.org/irp/mystery/donuts.html), a Washington, D.C.-based group of scientists and engineers who monitor national policies on technology and research.

"I don't think (the photo) is proof positive, but I think it's interesting and suggestive," said Steven Aftergood, a senior research analyst at the federation.

Similar vapor trail sightings nationwide from 1988 to 1992 fueled speculation that the Air Force was working on a top-secret successor to the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane.

Pulse detonation engines, or pulse jets, contain no moving parts and are lighter and more efficient than regular jet engines.

Fuel is injected into the air inside the tube and ignited in a rapidly-occurring series of pulses. General Electric and Pratt & Whitney are both exploring the technology.

The Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base has conducted runway tests on a small version of a pulse detonation engine, but officials there say they have not yet flown a PDE craft.

Telzerow, a spotter for the National Weather Service, said he was photographing the wind gauge in his backyard when he noticed the unusual formation.

He snapped four photos over several minutes because "I'd never seen anything like it before."

He said he had no idea what it was until he talked to two ex-pilot friends, both of whom speculated it was from a pulse jet.

Tim Fry, an aerospace research engineer at the University of Dayton Research Institute, said he isn't convinced. Vapor trails "do wacky things. There could be any number of atmospheric disturbances going on that could cause it to lump together like that," he said.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/01/08/ddn010807pulsejet.html

Gunny
01-15-2007, 09:57 PM
A photograph taken in Beavercreek has some hoping it's proof of top-secret 'pulse jet' tests.
By By Jim DeBrosse

Staff Writer

Monday, January 08, 2007

BEAVERCREEK — A Beavercreek man's photograph of an unusual aircraft condensation trail has sparked a high-flying debate among scientists and aviation fans over whether the Air Force or NASA is flying an aerospace vehicle with an exotic new propulsion system.

The photo of the vapor trail, taken Nov. 10 by amateur meteorologist Bill Telzerow from his backyard, shows a distinctive "doughnuts-on-a-rope" shape.
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/01/98/18/image_5018981.jpg
The photo has raised questions about whether an experimental propulsion system that uses pulse detonation engine technology is being tested here. The propulsion system could potentially hurtle manned craft at six times the speed of sound (Mach 6).

The photo has been downloaded several thousand times each day since it was posted on the Web a week ago by the Federation of American Scientists (www.fas.org/irp/mystery/donuts.html), a Washington, D.C.-based group of scientists and engineers who monitor national policies on technology and research.

"I don't think (the photo) is proof positive, but I think it's interesting and suggestive," said Steven Aftergood, a senior research analyst at the federation.

Similar vapor trail sightings nationwide from 1988 to 1992 fueled speculation that the Air Force was working on a top-secret successor to the SR-71 Blackbird spy plane.

Pulse detonation engines, or pulse jets, contain no moving parts and are lighter and more efficient than regular jet engines.

Fuel is injected into the air inside the tube and ignited in a rapidly-occurring series of pulses. General Electric and Pratt & Whitney are both exploring the technology.

The Air Force Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base has conducted runway tests on a small version of a pulse detonation engine, but officials there say they have not yet flown a PDE craft.

Telzerow, a spotter for the National Weather Service, said he was photographing the wind gauge in his backyard when he noticed the unusual formation.

He snapped four photos over several minutes because "I'd never seen anything like it before."

He said he had no idea what it was until he talked to two ex-pilot friends, both of whom speculated it was from a pulse jet.

Tim Fry, an aerospace research engineer at the University of Dayton Research Institute, said he isn't convinced. Vapor trails "do wacky things. There could be any number of atmospheric disturbances going on that could cause it to lump together like that," he said.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2007/01/08/ddn010807pulsejet.html

It's a UFO flown by Jews.:lmao:

stephanie
01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
It's a UFO flown by Jews.:lmao:

:eek2:

Now be serious...... I've seen these same type of trails up here...

Do you think there from a propulsion system?

Pale Rider
01-15-2007, 10:40 PM
It's more than likely a jet flying right at mach, as it jumps in and out of the sound barrier, it could very likely cause such trails...

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/3963/boomly0.jpg

Mr. P
01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
:eek2:

Now be serious...... I've seen these same type of trails up here...

Do you think there from a propulsion system?

No.

stephanie
01-15-2007, 10:52 PM
Eielson Air force Base is about 150mls from me, and 50 mls outside of Fairbanks..
Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks also flies jets out of their base...

That's why I'm so very curious about this...
As I said I have seen similar type trails...But not knowing anything about jets I just passed it off as, I WAS NUTS...Or that I was reading too much Duunderground....They have a raging conspiracy theory going on over there, about Contrails...:laugh:

Mr. P
01-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Eielson Air force Base is about 150mls from me, and 50 mls outside of Fairbanks..
Fort Wainwright in Fairbanks also flies jets out of their base...

That's why I'm so very curious about this...
As I said I have seen similar type trails...But not knowing anything about jets I just passed it off as, I WAS NUTS...:D

I agree with this guy..Seen a million contrails even made a million myself. And the replacement for the SR71 is already out there. Any new hightech stuff wouldn't be tested at Wright Pat...Secret stuff for sure would not be tested in the daylight.

stephanie
01-15-2007, 11:19 PM
I agree with this guy..Seen a million contrails even made a million myself. And the replacement for the SR71 is already out there. Any new hightech stuff wouldn't be tested at Wright Pat...Secret stuff for sure would not be tested in the daylight.

:2up:

Gaffer
01-16-2007, 02:36 AM
The contrail loonies will have a field day with this.

Its probably just as pale said. A sound barrier break. Or it could be a secret aircraft. They are high enough no one can see it other than a speck.

One thing is pretty obvious. Its one of ours.