PDA

View Full Version : The science of Human Sexuality

gabosaurus
08-01-2009, 04:53 PM
A shining example of how sex education should really be taught -- openly and honestly.
Parents and their kids alike would have nothing to lose but their ignorance of the subject.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sexclass1-2009aug01,0,5816782,full.story

Immanuel
08-03-2009, 07:38 PM
A shining example of how sex education should really be taught -- openly and honestly.
Parents and their kids alike would have nothing to lose but their ignorance of the subject.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-sexclass1-2009aug01,0,5816782,full.story

I have no problem with that. It is a college course similar to one I took. It is not being taught to 4th graders.

Immie

Kathianne
08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I have no problem with that. It is a college course similar to one I took. It is not being taught to 4th graders.

Immie

Agreed. I mean that we are agreeing that what is appropriate in college level, may not be appropriate at 4th grade? Shockers.

Here's my suggested curriculum through the years:

k-3 Good touch/bad touch

4/5 Same as above, with human sexuality. Throw some chicken egg hatchlings and bugs into curriculum.

6-8 Human sexuality. STD's. Basic sexual psych. Emphasis on maturity.

9-12 Same as 6-8, more emphasis on STD's, AID's, and how to prevent.

College: All has gone before, screw at your own risk-physically and psychologically. Don't be stupid.

emmett
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
i would rather take my chances on the unpopular philosophy that I am better qualified to teach my children about sex than the school system.

Studying the human anatomy is fine but I would rather discuss sexually transmitted diseases with them myself.

I would also prefer to discuss the risks of sexual activity before marraige with them instead of the education system. Having said this our family has been careful to do exactly that at a time slightly before they will encounter these subjects in school so our philosophy will be fresh on their minds when confronted with information about sex and human sexuality.

FOR INSTANCE: When we know (because we are notified) that content concerning sex is in a lesson plan we cover this first. Very carefully and not so as to make the school system look bad necessarily, we advise that no matter what they are told, abstinence is a better choice because of many reasons. We include God, which the school does not.

A condom is not prevention against anything. It is a stupid false sense of security that is taught by schools will prevent disease and pregnancy. I know a school counselor who was dismissed from her position for refusing to counsel students about sexual content because she was told what to say about certain subjects and how to answer certain questions. She did not agree, would not conform and was fired.

Noir
08-03-2009, 08:53 PM
A condom is not prevention against anything. It is a stupid false sense of security that is taught by schools will prevent disease and pregnancy. I know a school counselor who was dismissed from her position for refusing to counsel students about sexual content because she was told what to say about certain subjects and how to answer certain questions. She did not agree, would not conform and was fired.

Spot on. Condoms are seen, and taught, as magic super safe way to have sex. As the general attitude is 'if we can't stop them we may aswell make it as safe as possible'
I think that parents taking a hands on aproch to sex Ed is vital, though mine may not of done so I was wise enough to teach myself. Only at this macro level can a real impact be made on how young pekoe think about sex. All to often it, like so much in life, is reduced to a mere method of pleasure seeking, and has thus lost all respect.

Kathianne
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Spot on. Condoms are seen, and taught, as magic super safe way to have sex. As the general attitude is 'if we can't stop them we may aswell make it as safe as possible'
I think that parents taking a hands on aproch to sex Ed is vital, though mine may not of done so I was wise enough to teach myself. Only at this macro level can a real impact be made on how young pekoe think about sex. All to often it, like so much in life, is reduced to a mere method of pleasure seeking, and has thus lost all respect.

Great. My parents did teach my brother and I about sex ed. I taught my kids. I think we should now assume, given your directive that all parents do the same. End of story. right?

Noir
08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Great. My parents did teach my brother and I about sex ed. I taught my kids. I think we should now assume, given your directive that all parents do the same. End of story. right?

well, not quite lol. All parents should do the same. But many don't/won't. While I, think it would be ideal if they all did, reality says they won't, a d so the school has to step in. Even if the advice isn't great, it's better than none.

Kathianne
08-03-2009, 09:14 PM
well, not quite lol. All parents should do the same. But many don't/won't. While I, think it would be ideal if they all did, reality says they won't, a d so the school has to step in. Even if the advice isn't great, it's better than none.

Not necessarily. Have you read them?

Noir
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Not necessarily. Have you read them?

Read sex Ed books? Only British ones, haven't seen what Americans are taught. And while the British ones were not great they were certainly better than nought.

08-03-2009, 10:40 PM

No it isn't. Sex education should be taught by loving parents who actually care about their childrens future. Unfortunately, we don't have alot of good parents in the world anymore.

Mr. P
08-03-2009, 10:55 PM
No it isn't. Sex education should be taught by loving parents who actually care about their childrens future. Unfortunately, we don't have alot of good parents in the world anymore.

Psstttttt, AV. MOST parents DON'T teach sex ed. At best it's no more than a little short talk here an there.
Oh yeah, MOST KIDS DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT SEX FROM MOM OR DAD.

gabosaurus
08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Psstttttt, AV. MOST parents DON'T teach sex ed. At best it's no more than a little short talk here an there.
Oh yeah, MOST KIDS DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT SEX FROM MOM OR DAD.

Spot on, Mr. P!!
As a secondary school counselor, I get tired of hearing the tired old "kids should learn about sex from their parents" thing all the time. But when you ask parents what they have taught their kids about sex, you get little to no response.
I have actually had parents tell me "I haven't taught my daughter about sex because I don't want her to think about it yet."
Blasted idiot, your kid is a teenager! She's exposed to sexual thought almost 24/7!

If your daughter is old enough to get pregnant, she needs to learn about sex. She needs to learn about birth control and how to avoid getting pregnant.
If your son is old enough to get a girl pregnant, he needs to learn about sex. He needs to learn about condoms and respecting a girls right to say no.

I am really tired of talking to girls who are clueless about how they get pregnant. It is sickening to discover that some girls still believe they can't get pregnant the first time they have sex, or that they can't get pregnant if the guy pulls out or that they are protected if they go to church every Sunday (don't laugh, I've heard it).

This sort of Human Sexuality course should be taught in the sixth or seventh grade. Kids are smarter than you think.

08-04-2009, 12:13 PM
So because you associate yourself with parents who neglect their responsibilities, that gives you the right to force your view points on their children?

Why is freedom such an undervalued principle in America nowadays?

Mr. P
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Spot on, Mr. P!!
As a secondary school counselor, I get tired of hearing the tired old "kids should learn about sex from their parents" thing all the time. But when you ask parents what they have taught their kids about sex, you get little to no response.
I have actually had parents tell me "I haven't taught my daughter about sex because I don't want her to think about it yet."
Blasted idiot, your kid is a teenager! She's exposed to sexual thought almost 24/7!

If your daughter is old enough to get pregnant, she needs to learn about sex. She needs to learn about birth control and how to avoid getting pregnant.
If your son is old enough to get a girl pregnant, he needs to learn about sex. He needs to learn about condoms and respecting a girls right to say no.

I am really tired of talking to girls who are clueless about how they get pregnant. It is sickening to discover that some girls still believe they can't get pregnant the first time they have sex, or that they can't get pregnant if the guy pulls out or that they are protected if they go to church every Sunday (don't laugh, I've heard it).

This sort of Human Sexuality course should be taught in the sixth or seventh grade. Kids are smarter than you think.

I had sex ed or sorts in 5th grade (public school) in the early sixties. They knew back then, earlier I'm sure, that parents DIDN'T do the job.

So because you associate yourself with parents who neglect their responsibilities, that gives you the right to force your view points on their children?

Why is freedom such an undervalued principle in America nowadays?

Sorry av, You don't have a clue.

gabosaurus
08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Schools are places for education. The vast majority of American children are under educated about sex.

Funny thing about right-wing conservatives. They bitch and moan about teen pregnancy, but they don't want to do anything about it.
Do you really believe kids are going to stop having sex just because you tell them to? That hasn't worked for the last 50 years or so. And it is not going to start now.