PDA

View Full Version : Three Americans detained after crossing into Iran

gabosaurus
08-01-2009, 04:56 PM
If you ever decide to go hiking in Iraq, make sure you know where you are.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-iran-americans2-2009aug02,0,5054516.story

Silver
08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
OK...I give up

What the hell kind of Americans go hiking in Iraq???
Who ARE these people?
Where do they work, if they work?

namvet
08-01-2009, 07:35 PM
OK...I give up

What the hell kind of Americans go hiking in Iraq???
Who ARE these people?
Where do they work, if they work?

ill give ya 1 guess

Creek
08-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Looks like they will have to cancel there little picnic outing on the North Korean/Chinese border now..I heard they were going to go sight see there next.....(bad joke maybe).

Ya know...All countries have rules in place including our own to detain people who illegaly enter the country.

In cases like this involving Iran of all places...these people cause a HUGE headache for the diplomats who try to release them,and tie up alot of resources in the process.Often times used as leverage,or a bargining chip of some kind.

Don't these people read the dam news..that would give them a clue that playing around on international borders that are sketchy at best,that crap like this can happen?

They could be considered spies with little,or no evidence at all when it comes to a country that don't even have diplomatic ties with us in the first place...

What's funny is they didn't even have a guide with them?..C'mon..that's just looking for trouble if ya ask me.

People disappear over there for crying out loud.

These people remind me of very un-experienced idiots who get lost in the woods..and tie up considerable resources in the search for them.

They should be detained here when the get released...and be made an example of so other idiots can learn the ethics of safe sight seeing,and the importance of watching your step on international borders.

(shaking my head)

namvet
08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
The Arabic-language Al Alam station quoted an Interior Ministry official as saying the Americans, two men and a woman, were detained after they ignored warnings from border guards and crossed into Iran in a remote mountainous area about 55 miles northeast of the Kurdish town of Sulaymaniya.

they were warned. nough said. end of story.