PDA

View Full Version : Poll indicates generational split over health care

red states rule
08-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Seniors have been around longer and generally wiser. Young kids still haven't experienced the world and are for the most part very gullible

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Americans appear split over President Barack Obama's health care proposals, according to a new national poll.

Fifty percent of those questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Wednesday morning say they support the president's plans, with 45 percent opposed.

The results indicate a generational divide.

"Obama's plan is most popular among younger Americans and least popular among senior citizens," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "A majority of Americans over the age of 50 oppose Obama's plan; a majority of those under 50 support it." Read full transcript of poll

The poll's release comes as lawmakers go back to their home districts and states for summer recess. The House of Representatives is already on break and the Senate heads home at the end of the week.

Some lawmakers are holding town hall meetings or other public forums on health care reform over the next few weeks, where voters will get a chance to speak out about the various proposals for change. The poll indicates that seven in 10 Americans say they're very or somewhat likely to attend such events.

"Nearly half of those who oppose the Obama plan say they are more likely to attend town hall meetings to express their views on health care; only 37 percent of those who support Obama's plan are very likely to attend a public forum on that issue," Holland said.

The poll indicates that only three in 10 of all Americans think the president's health care proposals will help their families. Another 44 percent feel they won't benefit but that other families will be helped by the president's plans, and one in five say no one will be helped.

"Less than a quarter of Americans with private health insurance think that Obama's proposals would help them personally. Most people on Medicare and Medicaid also don't think that the Obama plan will help them," Holland said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/05/health.care.poll/index.html

Joe Steel
08-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Seniors have been around longer and generally wiser.

"Obama's plan is most popular among younger Americans and least popular among senior citizens," CNN Polling Director Keating Holland said. "A majority of Americans over the age of 50 oppose Obama's plan; a majority of those under 50 support it." Read full transcript of poll

That makes a sense.

Why would seniors need government health care as long as they have Medicare.

Wingnut sense.

red states rule
08-05-2009, 09:41 AM
That makes a sense.

Why would seniors need government health care as long as they have Medicare.

Wingnut sense.

Or could it be Obama says he will cut Medicare, cut benefits, and ration care for seniors?

It has to do with mature Americans understanding that things cost money, and the fact that young adults 18-25 do not have a firm grasp on this concept until they get jobs and watch their hard earned income go to the IRS.

That is why seniors do not support Obamacare Joe.

Monkeybone
08-05-2009, 09:59 AM
my thought is why do we still need Medicare and Medicaid if this is covering everybody? why should I have to pay into 3 different things?

And I haven't seen that much of a split. The people that didn't vote for him, don't like it. The people that did, don't seem to mind it since he is "on the right track". then you have the third group that voted for him and do nohting but complain about what he is doing and calls it stupid. Those are the people that I tell they aren't allowed to complain.

red states rule
08-05-2009, 10:02 AM
my thought is why do we still need Medicare and Medicaid if this is covering everybody? why should I have to pay into 3 different things?

And I haven't seen that much of a split. The people that didn't vote for him, don't like it. The people that did, don't seem to mind it since he is "on the right track". then you have the third group that voted for him and do nohting but complain about what he is doing and calls it stupid. Those are the people that I tell they aren't allowed to complain.

Obama is indeed losing independents and some liberals. Support for Obamacare is tanking since Reid and Pelosi could not ram it thru fast like they did the mega pork bill

The opponents for Obamacare have the liberal media in such a snit, and the Dems can't beleive the unwashed masses are actually standing up to them after all the crap they have done in the last 7 months

namvet
08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
http://i28.tinypic.com/kevqpt.jpg

08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Not surprising. I know I would be opposed to something that was likely make me die prematurely because of neglect as well.

Monkeybone
08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Not surprising. I know I would be opposed to something that was likely make me die prematurely because of neglect as well.

I don't think something like that would happen until years down the road, that is if/when the Reform gets passed. Or unless they cap everyone's pay that is in Healthcare or fire them all and then hire new Gov employee's.

Or if they were assigned to work at a Hospital. Most people would work in it because they want to, until it becomes an official Gov job (when they just take over all of it, becasue they will show that it will be easier than just paying the insurance part) and slackers get in there.

red states rule
08-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Seniors who already have to go through, and experience government beauracracy as it exists now, fully understand how much worse it will be should Obama's plan be put into place.

Joe Steel
08-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Or could it be Obama says he will cut Medicare, cut benefits, and ration care for seniors?

Shouldn't that make these fiscally responsible seniors happy?

They understand "that things cost money." Right?

They should want Obama to cut Medicare.

Do you think they do?

red states rule
08-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Shouldn't that make these fiscally responsible seniors happy?

They understand "that things cost money." Right?

They should want Obama to cut Medicare.

Do you think they do?

They are going to cut medical services to seniors so it is more cost effective Joe

Obama's Senior Moment
By R. Emmett Tyrrell, Jr. on 6.18.09 @ 6:08AM

WASHINGTON -- If you have any sense that you may be getting sick in the years ahead, I suggest you get sick immediately. If you will be in need of surgery or any other medical procedure, do it now! If not immediately, be certain that you hand yourself over to the healthcare professionals before October 15 of this year. That is the date on which President Barack Obama hopes to sign his healthcare bill once it has gone through the congressional baloney grinder.

At the heart of President Obama's plan is his stated goal to cut medical costs. That might sound good to you, but it means cutting services, nurses, technicians, medical tests, and most prominently the use of expensive technology. The President's top medical advisers are quite frank about this. Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, brother of Rahm Emanuel and a health policy adviser in the Office of Management and Budget, has chided Americans for the expense of their "being enamored with technology." Dr. David Blumenthal, another key Obama adviser, charges medical innovations as being responsible for fully two-thirds of the annual increase in healthcare spending. Their solution is to limit expensive innovations. A 2008 Congressional Budget Office report agrees with their cost analysis but concludes happily that such innovations "permit the treatment of previously untreatable conditions." As I shall show, there are more humane ways to cut healthcare costs.

Also at the heart of President Obama's plan is the restriction of services for older people, people 65 and older who by virtue of modern medicine may actually be ten and fifteen years younger in terms of good health than they would have been a generation ago. Alas, they still have higher health risks and costs than younger people. Thus they are going to bear the brunt of the Obama Administration's cost cuts, for 27-30% of Medicaid spending is spent for caring for people at the end of their lives. With the government taking over more of the nation's healthcare costs under the Obama regime, it has already been decided that government monies are more economically spent on younger people than on older people. If a 65-year-old needs a hip replacement, the government will better spend that money on a younger person whose hip will last longer. Or perhaps the government will decide the money is better spent on preventive medicine for younger people.

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/06/18/obamas-senior-moment

Joe Steel
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
They are going to cut medical services to seniors so it is more cost effective Joe

Whatever.

Knowing "that things cost money," the seniors should be happy they're not getting services.

That should make them happy, shouldn't it?

red states rule
08-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Whatever.

Knowing "that things cost money," the seniors should be happy they're not getting services.

That should make them happy, shouldn't it?

Well Joe you are boxed in the corner right now - so now here comes what Obama told seniors

According to the Los Angeles Times:

President Obama suggested at a town hall event Wednesday night that one way to shave medical costs is to stop expensive and ultimately futile procedures performed on people who are about to die and don't stand to gain from the extra care.

In a nationally televised event at the White House, Obama said families need better information so they don't unthinkingly approve "additional tests or additional drugs that the evidence shows is not necessarily going to improve care."

He added: "Maybe you're better off not having the surgery, but taking the painkiller."

Obama said he has personal familiarity with such a dilemma. His grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given less than nine months to live, he said.

She fell and broke her hip, "and the question was, does she get hip replacement surgery, even though she was fragile enough they were not sure how long she would last?" [...]

http://spectator.org/blog/2009/06/25/obama-wants-to-let-those-pesky

Joe Steel
08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Well Joe you are boxed in the corner right now - so now here comes what Obama told seniors

You're the one who's avoiding the question.

red states rule
08-06-2009, 08:44 AM
You're the one who's avoiding the question.

Sorry Joe, you have ignord back to back posts on what Obama and his advisors have said about Obamacare

Most of the voters are not, and that is why Obamacare is now on life support

Joe Steel
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Sorry Joe, you have ignord back to back posts on what Obama and his advisors have said about Obamacare

Most of the voters are not, and that is why Obamacare is now on life support

1. Seniors know "that things cost money."

2. Seniors are concerned about leaving too much debt for their children and grandchildren.

Why don't seniors reject government-provided medical care?

Just answer the question.

Nukeman
08-06-2009, 10:52 AM

2. Seniors are concerned about leaving too much debt for their children and grandchildren.

You know what numbnuts I will expect to utilze MY medicare when I am of age and do you want to know why.

I PAY INTO THE STUPID THING WITH EVERY PAYCHECK. Since your probably sucking at the government tit you wouldn't know anything about that. I pay almost as much in medicare taxes as I do in SS taxes. It is a prepayed insurance policy that the government promises to maintain and make accesible......

namvet
08-06-2009, 10:59 AM

their busy at the town hall revolts. go ask em communist