PDA

View Full Version : 64 years ago today

Little-Acorn
08-05-2009, 03:31 PM
64 years ago today, Aug. 5, 1945, the first atomic bomb ever used in anger was dropped on Hiroshima, Japan. Three days later, on August 8, another was dropped on Nagasaki. Approx. 200,000 people were killed as a result of the two bombings.

Less than 2 weeks later, Japan surrendered, ending WWII. As a result, the planned Allied invasion of the Japanese homeland was called off. The half million American deaths that were expected, plus more than a million Japanese deaths, never happened as a result.

namvet
08-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I think it was aug 6. but no biggie

Mr. P
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't say the first was in anger. Sure the was anger but that wasn't the deciding factor for the drop.

namvet
08-05-2009, 05:09 PM
there was also fear. fear the damned thing would blow up on take-off and incinerate the island of Tinian. the procedure called for arming it on the ground. but after watching other 29's blow up on take off and landings it was decided to arm it in flight. which had to very intense

Little-Acorn
08-05-2009, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't say the first was in anger. Sure the was anger but that wasn't the deciding factor for the drop.

It's a very common phrase, meaning "for offensive purposes".

BTW, the date was indeed Aug. 5, which was exactly 64 yrears ago today.

We are in the U.S., where that's today's date. On the other side of the International date line where the detonation took place, calendars said Aug. 6. But we weren't asking their opinion on the matter back then, and I see no reason to start now.

Mr. P
08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
It's a very common phrase, meaning "for offensive purposes".

BTW, the date was indeed Aug. 5, which was exactly 64 yrears ago today.

We are in the U.S., where that's today's date. On the other side of the International date line where the detonation took place, calendars said Aug. 6. But we weren't asking their opinion on the matter back then, and I see no reason to start now.

I didn't question the date, LA.

namvet
08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
according to this clock its early am aug 6

http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks.htm