PDA

View Full Version : Former Congressman William Jefferson (D-LA) found guilty

Little-Acorn
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, knock me over with a feather.

When I heard he was found with $90,000 in small, unmarked bills in his refrigerator, I was sure he was innocent. The Democrats told me over and over, that he was. Would they lie?

I'm shocked, shocked.

----------------------------------

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/william_jefferson_verdict_guil.html

William Jefferson verdict: Guilty on 11 of 16 counts

by Jonathan Tilove and Bruce Alpert, The Times-Picayune
Wednesday August 05, 2009, 4:28 PM

MICHAEL DEMOCKER

Former Rep. William Jefferson convicted today.ALEXANDRIA, VA. - Former Democratic Congressman William Jefferson was found guilty of 11 of 16 corruption charges today by a federal jury. The jury of eight women and four men returned a guilty verdict following five days of deliberation.

http://blog.nola.com/news_impact/2009/08/large_jefferson1.jpg

In the 16-count indictment, Jefferson was charged with soliciting bribes and other crimes for a series of schemes in which he helped American businesses broker deals in West African in exchange for payments or financial considerations to companies controlled by members of his family, including his brother Mose, his wife, Andrea, their five daughters and a son-in-law.

Jefferson, 62, who represented the New Orleans-based 2nd Congressional District for nine terms, will now face sentencing by Judge T.S. Ellis III, who earlier meted out stiff sentences for lesser figures in the case. According to the U.S. attorney's office, Jefferson faced 235 years in prison if convicted on all counts, and will still face substantial prison time.

The verdict comes four years after the Aug. 3, 2005 raids of Jefferson's homes in New Orleans and Washington, D.C., in which the FBI found $90,000 in cash hidden in the freezer of his D.C. home, money the government said Jefferson was going to deliver as a bribe to Atiku Abubakar, then vice president of Nigeria, to gain his help with a telecommunications deal in Nigeria being pursued by Lori Mody, a Northern Virginia businesswoman.

The money was the lion's share of $100,000 in FBI cash that the congressman was videotaped receiving packed in a briefcase days earlier in a suburban Virginia parking lot from Mody, who, beginning in March of 2005, had become a cooperating witness for the FBI, secretly taping her conversations with Jefferson.

Gaffer
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
:dance:

That's good news, about 3 and a half years later than should have been but I'll take it. Where are all those who kept crying he was innocent all this time?

What do you want to bet there's already a pardon in the works from the dark lord.

08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
when did he become a former congressman? I thought he was still in his seat.

stephanie
08-05-2009, 05:35 PM
now they start on the rest of the crooked Sobs in our government..

Most of them should be in jail..

crin63
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
WELL, SAY IT AINT SO!!! He was really guilty, wow!! Imagine that a Democrat convicted of a crime. Thats probably why the dims were screaming about the judges Bush fired. One of them probably would have heard the case.

red states rule
08-05-2009, 10:28 PM
What a shicker folks. The liberal media is, for the most part, "overlooking" Jefferson is a Democrat

After Guilty Verdicts, NBC Fails to ID Jefferson's Party Affiliation
By Brent Baker (Bio | Archive)
August 5, 2009 - 20:49 ET

Wednesday's NBC Nightly News devoted a full minute to the guilty convictions for bribery, racketeering and wire fraud against former nine-term Louisiana Democratic Congressman William Jefferson, but failed to name his political party.

ABC's Charles Gibson mentioned Jefferson's party in a brief World News item. The CBS Evening News didn't air anything about Jefferson's convictions which were announced just under an hour before the 6:30 PM EDT feeds of the newscasts shown in the eastern and central time zones, though Couric did manage to highlight how “Giants quarterback Eli Manning agreed today to a six-year deal for $97 million, making him the highest-paid player ever in the NFL.”

NBC considered the case important enough to send Pete Williams to the federal courthouse in Alexandria, Virginia (just a few blocks from MRC HQ), but he didn't cite Jefferson's party and while anchor Brian Williams set up his colleague by referring to the “case of the cold, hard cash, money that was famously found in the freezer at the home of William Jefferson,” he identified Jefferson only as “a former Congressman from Louisiana.”

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2009/08/05/after-guilty-verdicts-nbc-fails-id-jeffersons-party-affiliation