PDA

View Full Version : Internet censorship: Twitter downed by DDoS attack

Noir
08-07-2009, 11:25 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10305200-245.html

Originally Posted by CNET News
A Russian activist blogger with accounts on Twitter, Facebook, LiveJournal and Google's Blogger and YouTube was targeted in a denial of service attack that led to the site-wide outage at Twitter and problems at the other sites on Thursday, according to a Facebook executive.

The blogger, who uses the account name "Cyxymu," (the name of a town in the Republic of Georgia) had accounts on all of the different sites that were attacked at the same time, Max Kelly, chief security officer at Facebook, told CNET News.

"It was a simultaneous attack across a number of properties targeting him to keep his voice from being heard," Kelly said. "We're actively investigating the source of the attacks and we hope to be able to find out the individuals involved in the back end and to take action against them if we can."

First china, then Iran, now Russia; Internet censorship, coming to a country near you.*

Monkeybone
08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
They want it here too Noir. Just a matter of time.

stephanie
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
EDIT:...maybe I should of posted this separately so I don't interrupt this thread, if the mods think so, they can move it...thanks.

that's nothing, my computer was taken over by the little Marxist last night..

I was online and all of a sudden my screen went haywire and then the whole screen came back with the little Marxist on it in some video..it covered my whole screen...

I shut down my computer and ran a scan on it, I had 20 high priority "things", can't think of what they were called now, on it, and had to run a repair to take them off..

I think someone reported me to the white house "phishy" site...

I am not making this up...can someone tell me what went wrong, so I'm not going to lock all my doors and hide in my closet....:eek:

I have Zone Alarm for protection, but yet all these thing got through..

namvet
08-07-2009, 12:27 PM
to bad you didn't have time for a screen shot to post here. I'd really like to see this..............

stephanie
08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
to bad you didn't have time for a screen shot to post here. I'd really like to see this..............

this whole thing freaked me out, I've never had anything like this happen before...I was so blown away that I just immediately shut off my computer on the tower, no waiting for the shut down..
What I'm wondering is, did I have some sort of virus attack, some sort of hostile attack bug?
I'm not real computer savvy, but I know I haven't seen something like this before..

I should add....right before this happened, my computer was running exceptionally slow, I have dsl and it is ok speed wise, but this was just crawling...and then, wham o...

gabosaurus
08-07-2009, 12:44 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/1z52rkn.jpg

stephanie
08-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Gab, I'm asking a serious question, please with the mocking?

namvet
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
this whole thing freaked me out, I've never had anything like this happen before...I was so blown away that I just immediately shut off my computer on the tower, no waiting for the shut down..
What I'm wondering is, did I have some sort of virus attack, some sort of hostile attack bug?
I'm not real computer savvy, but I know I haven't seen something like this before..

I should add....right before this happened, my computer was running exceptionally slow, I have dsl and it is ok speed wise, but this was just crawling...and then, wham o...

the slower speed indicates a download. yes it could have been virus, spyware, a hacker, intruder etc. is the zone alarm free or fee based???? also check and see if any docs are missing on hard drive. sooner or or later they find you.

namvet
08-07-2009, 12:59 PM

he'll get your PC to. consider that

stephanie
08-07-2009, 01:11 PM
the slower speed indicates a download. yes it could have been virus, spyware, a hacker, intruder etc. is the zone alarm free or fee based???? also check and see if any docs are missing on hard drive. sooner or or later they find you.

I thought I paid for the zone alarm, but can't remember for sure..

usually the zone alarm warns me of a site, for instance it won't let tinyurl onto my computer..
I did notice a few weeks ago, I visited a site called, hotairpundit and all of a sudden my computer just started spitting up the same page...I had 20 some of them before I again shut down my computer..
it also changed my media player from a older version,which I preferred instead of the new upgrades, but it seem to upgrade it on it's own..
I stopped going to that site for the reasons above, and all was ok until what happened last night..

how do I check for missing docs?

gabosaurus
08-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Sorry Stephanie, by the tone of your first couple of sentences, I thought you were implying that Obama had taken control of your computer. I didn't realize that you were referring to a real web attack.

I am fairly computer illiterate, so I asked my husband. Who is pretty much a computer nerd.
He told me that Zone Alarm has always been a great defense. But that the last update (the 2009 version) somehow had a lot of holes in it. Which is why he took it off our computers.
Basically, we were hacked. A Trojan somehow got in through some back port and went undetected by Zone Alarm. It greatly slowed down our web surfing and kept trying to change our home page.
My husband took my laptop to his office and got the tech people to clean it off. It was a pain because I had to reinstall everything, like Firefox and all my programs.
Right now, I am using the Windows XP Firewall, backed up by AVG anti-virus and Spyware Terminator (both available for free at www.download.com ). I am not a big fan of AVG, but Spyware Terminator is pretty awesome. It prevents spyware from installing.

By the way, tinyurl is a notoriously unsecure site. That is why Zone Alarm (and many other anti-spyware sites) blocks it.
Firefox has an add-on that rates sites. I believe there are some downloads that do the same thing. We have one that won't allow me to go to a page that the site considers dangerous.

stephanie
08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry Stephanie, by the tone of your first couple of sentences, I thought you were implying that Obama had taken control of your computer. I didn't realize that you were referring to a real web attack.

I am fairly computer illiterate, so I asked my husband. Who is pretty much a computer nerd.
He told me that Zone Alarm has always been a great defense. But that the last update (the 2009 version) somehow had a lot of holes in it. Which is why he took it off our computers.
Basically, we were hacked. A Trojan somehow got in through some back port and went undetected by Zone Alarm. It greatly slowed down our web surfing and kept trying to change our home page.
My husband took my laptop to his office and got the tech people to clean it off. It was a pain because I had to reinstall everything, like Firefox and all my programs.
Right now, I am using the Windows XP Firewall, backed up by AVG anti-virus and Spyware Terminator (both available for free at www.download.com ). I am not a big fan of AVG, but Spyware Terminator is pretty awesome. It prevents spyware from installing.

By the way, tinyurl is a notoriously unsecure site. That is why Zone Alarm (and many other anti-spyware sites) blocks it.
Firefox has an add-on that rates sites. I believe there are some downloads that do the same thing. We have one that won't allow me to go to a page that the site considers dangerous.

thanks Gabby, I'm on Windows xp and now that I recall I thought I saw something that said Trojan horse on the screen before I turned it off..could you ask the hubby if they would announce something like that as to let you know you have been (had) infected..I thought they were referring to Obama and his health care plan, because that seemed to be the video that appeared..it was a huge screen of him talking, you can guess how I felt about that, lol...can I get rid of the Trojan without wiping it clean if that is what it is?..I have a thing called P.C. tune up and that is what found the 20 problems..I haven't had any problems like the one since, but the computer still runs slow it seems, I run the P.C tune up more now and it doesn't report any problems like I had that night...but it did catch a few spyware which I hadn't had before this either..
I appreciate your help as I said, I'm computer illiterate when it gets beyond the basics..

thanks dear..
:beer:

Edit...I can see from my first post how you would think I was being paranoid the little Marxist took over my computer..and that picture you posted is funny as hell..but damn Scary...don't scare me like that little one...LOL LOL

namvet
08-09-2009, 08:15 AM
thanks Gabby, I'm on Windows xp and now that I recall I thought I saw something that said Trojan horse on the screen before I turned it off..could you ask the hubby if they would announce something like that as to let you know you have been (had) infected..I thought they were referring to Obama and his health care plan, because that seemed to be the video that appeared..it was a huge screen of him talking, you can guess how I felt about that, lol...can I get rid of the Trojan without wiping it clean if that is what it is?..I have a thing called P.C. tune up and that is what found the 20 problems..I haven't had any problems like the one since, but the computer still runs slow it seems, I run the P.C tune up more now and it doesn't report any problems like I had that night...but it did catch a few spyware which I hadn't had before this either..
I appreciate your help as I said, I'm computer illiterate when it gets beyond the basics..

thanks dear..
:beer:

Edit...I can see from my first post how you would think I was being paranoid the little Marxist took over my computer..and that picture you posted is funny as hell..but damn Scary...don't scare me like that little one...LOL LOL

so its back up and running ok now???? almost sounds like you had a popup gang bang. they'll load up at lightning speed and force you to shut it down. I added a popup blocker. took care of that !!! also I added a cookie buster as well. i don't like anyone trolling my pc looking for them.
if you have fee based zone alarm they will let you know when its time for renewal. if not you have a freeware version. that's mean you do the auto updates and run the scanner yourself. fee based does all this for you. zone alarm comes in both.

stephanie
08-09-2009, 08:32 AM
so its back up and running ok now???? almost sounds like you had a popup gang bang. they'll load up at lightning speed and force you to shut it down. I added a popup blocker. took care of that !!! also I added a cookie buster as well. i don't like anyone trolling my pc looking for them.
if you have fee based zone alarm they will let you know when its time for renewal. if not you have a freeware version. that's mean you do the auto updates and run the scanner yourself. fee based does all this for you. zone alarm comes in both.

yes, it running ok now..as I said thought, it has found a few spyware progams that it hasn't reported before..

as I was asking...how do you know if you have a Trojan??
will my Zone alarm tell me?
if I did have a Trojan, can I still run my computer after what happened the other night? I have a couple popup blockers on my computer..
I evidently have the fee based zone alarm, because I see it updating all the time..
the other program I have is separate from zone alarm, it's a P.C. cleanup type that I downloaded to try and help my computer run faster..it's the one the caught all those high alert problems that I found the night of the incident..
I was so caught off guard by this thing, and of course when it was the little Marxist that was all over my computer screen, I just about shit...:laugh2:

it's not reporting any problems when I run the P.C. tune up and zone alarm hasn't warned me of anything, so maybe it was a glitch of some sort..

Trinity
08-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Stephanie, go and download hijackthis http://majorgeeks.com/Trend_Micro_HijackThis_d5554.html

After you download it, install it on your computer, and then do a scan and log file. When your finished post the log file on here I will look at it and see what you have logged and tell you what you should remove from the list.

P.S. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE LIST, let me check it first. If you remove something that is an important part of your registry files you will not be able to use your computer.

stephanie
08-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Stephanie, go and download hijackthis http://majorgeeks.com/Trend_Micro_HijackThis_d5554.html

After you download it, install it on your computer, and then do a scan and log file. When your finished post the log file on here I will look at it and see what you have logged and tell you what you should remove from the list.

P.S. DO NOT REMOVE ANYTHING FROM THE LIST, let me check it first. If you remove something that is an important part of your registry files you will not be able to use your computer.

when I download, it usually ask you to either run or save it...do I want to save this to my computer?

edit: I"m on the site, which one do I download, there are a couple of different one?

Gaffer
08-09-2009, 09:00 AM
My first thought would be to pm Jim and have him read this thread and see if he has any recommendations. He may have some thoughts as to the cause.

You might want to look into a trojan removing program as well. I don't recommend shareware type cause they just show you what's there and don't remove it unless you buy the program.

I think it was something besides a trojan though. Like one of those new spyware that your program found. Another good program for cleaning out your system is Advanced Systemcare. It's free with option to buy upgrades.

stephanie
08-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Any and all suggestions are welcome..

I'm not sure if I am explaining what happened for anyone to understand what really happened, or if I'm just being stupid and paranoid that something was installed on my computer... I've heard of Trojans, but don't know if I have ever had one, don't know much about them...

like I said, it is running fine as of today, some slowness from time to time, but running p.c. tuneup is not finding any problems like it found the other night..

thanks all..

stephanie
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
OK, IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN...another huge screen takeover with a Obama video...this is getting weird..shut down tower again..

I received this..
Microsoft error
some unexpected errors have happened to software you recently installed..

never seen something like this before....

I tried to take a screenshot, but not sure if it worked..

I must be sounding nuts about now...

just ran p.c tune up and it reported this..
Med, priority..
the key, "software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..

Gaffer
08-09-2009, 03:30 PM
OK, IT JUST HAPPENED AGAIN...another huge screen takeover with a Obama video...this is getting weird..shut down tower again..

I received this..
Microsoft error

Med, priority..
the key, "software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..

Are you using internet explorer. Sounds like something is in that. Might want to do a restore back a couple of weeks. Als, if you don't already use it get firefox as your browser and forget ie.

namvet
08-09-2009, 04:06 PM

I received this..
Microsoft error

Med, priority..

yep its a windows problem. what version of windows are you running??? open IE - on the toolbar at top left click "help" on the drop down click "about internet explorer" you get a popup with the version and any SP's if added.

here is MS email:
support@microsoft.com

stephanie
08-09-2009, 04:33 PM
yep its a windows problem. what version of windows are you running??? open IE - on the toolbar at top left click "help" on the drop down click "about internet explorer" you get a popup with the version and any SP's if added.

here is MS email:
support@microsoft.com

version 6.0
update. sp3
nam, what would I ask at the support site??

stephanie
08-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Are you using internet explorer. Sounds like something is in that. Might want to do a restore back a couple of weeks. Als, if you don't already use it get firefox as your browser and forget ie.

I've wanted to use firefox, but I was afraid I would lose all that I have on IE..also once I switch of firefox, how do I get rid of IE? just delete from add or delete programs?

Gaffer
08-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I've wanted to use firefox, but I was afraid I would lose all that I have on IE..also once I switch of firefox, how do I get rid of IE? just delete from add or delete programs?

Firefox is way better than IE and has it's own built in security and firewall. Not sure how to transfer things over. You may have to go into IE and write down some of the sites then add them in manually. Someone else with more computer knowledge may be able to recommend something there. You don't get rid of IE. You just don't use it. If it's not in use then programs within it can't run.

Also take Nam's advice and send a note to MSN. Just tell them what you told us here. They may already be aware of this and have a fix for it. Firefox also has a built in popup blocker as well.

stephanie
08-09-2009, 05:10 PM
ok, I forgot I have a thing installed called...Glary utilities...I just ran the registry cleaner and it said I had 24 problems in invalid or incorrect registry entries..they said they fixed the problem, so I guess we will see how things go from there..

I do appreciate all your help..thanks

namvet
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
version 6.0
update. sp3
nam, what would I ask at the support site??

explain the problem and give them the error you received:

"software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..

MS has hundreds of fix's for problems. this may be in their data base. you can call them but I think that cost.

also your can use the above procedure to find out what version of zone alarm you have. you need an internet security system complete with firewall and spyware all bundled in. if you get the version ill look it up and see what software is included. more that likey this problem will hit again.

a full system recovery can be done if all else fails. if you decide to do this get back with us first

namvet
08-09-2009, 06:25 PM
ok, I forgot I have a thing installed called...Glary utilities...I just ran the registry cleaner and it said I had 24 problems in invalid or incorrect registry entries..they said they fixed the problem, so I guess we will see how things go from there..

I do appreciate all your help..thanks

that's free. so be sure and udate it or any software before using.

stephanie
08-09-2009, 06:56 PM
explain the problem and give them the error you received:

"software/Microsoft window/current version/explorer/fileexts/open with list..is corrupted..

MS has hundreds of fix's for problems. this may be in their data base. you can call them but I think that cost.

also your can use the above procedure to find out what version of zone alarm you have. you need an internet security system complete with firewall and spyware all bundled in. if you get the version ill look it up and see what software is included. more that likey this problem will hit again.

a full system recovery can be done if all else fails. if you decide to do this get back with us first

zone alarm...8.0.400.020 is that what you meant..
I got it on 3/22/09
it has firewall, spyware, virus detection, I do know that.
they haven't asked me to renew yet, as far as I know..

namvet
08-09-2009, 08:08 PM
zone alarm...8.0.400.020 is that what you meant..
I got it on 3/22/09
it has firewall, spyware, virus detection, I do know that.
they haven't asked me to renew yet, as far as I know..

yes. that should be fee based. renewable after 12 mons. 3/22/10 so your set there. also if you get that error again write it down.

that should have a C at the beginning for C drive

Mr. P
08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Steph..you can import all of your favorites from IE to Firefox bookmarks you won't lose any.

namvet
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
or put them in a zip folder and save to my docs. lots a ways

My first thought would be to pm Jim and have him read this thread and see if he has any recommendations. He may have some thoughts as to the cause.

You might want to look into a trojan removing program as well. I don't recommend shareware type cause they just show you what's there and don't remove it unless you buy the program.

I think it was something besides a trojan though. Like one of those new spyware that your program found. Another good program for cleaning out your system is Advanced Systemcare. It's free with option to buy upgrades.

some of those programs actually install spyware on your PC. the other trick is the free scan that shows your totally infected. buy now !!!! you do and there's nothing there. what a scam !!!!

I received this..
Microsoft error

Med, priority..

if it is a virus or intrusion/hacker you zone alarm should popup with a block notice. mine does.

Any and all suggestions are welcome..

I'm not sure if I am explaining what happened for anyone to understand what really happened, or if I'm just being stupid and paranoid that something was installed on my computer... I've heard of Trojans, but don't know if I have ever had one, don't know much about them...

like I said, it is running fine as of today, some slowness from time to time, but running p.c. tuneup is not finding any problems like it found the other night..

thanks all..

just like the name implies. they install then wait for you to run programs then attack.

http://www.tech-faq.com/trojan-horse-virus.shtml

once again it should be blocked by your zone alarm. if indeed it is a virus

Mr. P
08-09-2009, 09:39 PM
or put them in a zip folder and save to my docs. lots a ways

easier to import/export..though.

stephanie
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I'll look into firefox again...I did download them but when I saw I didn't have my yahoo home page, well that scared me away and I uninstalled them..

if I do go to firefox...do I just go and uninstall IE like I would any other program I didn't want anymore?????????????

Mr. P
08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
i'll look into firefox again...i did download them but when i saw i didn't have my yahoo home page, well that scared me away and i uninstalled them..

If i do go to firefox...do i just go and uninstall ie like i would any other program i didn't want anymore?????????????

do not uninstall ie!!!

It's part of windows..you'll be asked which browser you want as the default..just leave IE ALONE unless ya want big problems.

stephanie
08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
do not uninstall ie!!!

It's part of windows..you'll be asked which browser you want as the default..just leave IE ALONE unless ya want big problems.

Damn, thanks...I told ya I wasn't computer smart...:thumb:

I just always thought with all the downloading it would take up lots of space and make my computer run slower..

Trinity
08-10-2009, 08:37 AM
when I download, it usually ask you to either run or save it...do I want to save this to my computer?

edit: I"m on the site, which one do I download, there are a couple of different one?

I'm sorry took me so long to get back....I kept looking for a thread you started.:laugh2: I forgot the title of the thread.

I would save it to you computer. and you should see this at the top middle of the page...........

Downloads
Author's Site
MajorGeeks - |USA|
MajorGeeks - |USA 2|
Internode - |Australia|

click on majorgeeks usa or usa2 to download, then save it to your computer. Remember where you save it though, so you can find it. :D

The only problem with that though is if she restores it back a couple of weeks ago, it most likely has already embedded itself in her system restore files. Therefore she will end up with the same problem. I turned my system restore off quite sometime ago, when I ran into that same issue.

When you install Firefox it will ask you if you want to import your bookmarks and settings. Click yes and you should not lose anything.

I'll look into firefox again...I did download them but when I saw I didn't have my yahoo home page, well that scared me away and I uninstalled them..

if I do go to firefox...do I just go and uninstall IE like I would any other program I didn't want anymore?????????????

When you first install it you will have a different homepage. Very easy fix! Open up your firefox browser, go to your page that you want to use as your homepage. Click on tools at the top of the browser, then click on options, go to the main tab it should say start up homepage. Make sure you are on your homepage then click on use current page. That will set your homepage in firefox.

do not uninstall ie!!!

Absolutely DO NOT UNINSTALL IE

stephanie
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
:laugh2:I got that, do not uninstall IE

thanks everyone for all the tips and help..I appreciate it..:thumb:

Trinity
08-10-2009, 09:07 AM
:laugh2:I got that, do not uninstall IE

thanks everyone for all the tips and help..I appreciate it..:thumb:

:laugh2: :coffee:

stephanie
08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
:laugh2: :coffee:

thanks dear, you've been most helpful..

one question...why firefox over Ie?

Trinity
08-10-2009, 09:16 AM
thanks dear, you've been most helpful..

one question...why firefox over Ie?

IE can be highjacked very easily and that is the browser that is usually targeted. Firefox is much more secure safer and not used as much as IE therefore not attacked as often.

stephanie
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
IE can be highjacked very easily and that is the browser that is usually targeted. Firefox is much more secure safer and not used as much as IE therefore not attacked as often.

but if you still have IE on your computer, can't they still attack firefox.?

Trinity
08-10-2009, 09:50 AM
got it...thanks

Your welcome!

stephanie
08-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Your welcome!

I did a edit before you answered..see above..

Mr. P
08-10-2009, 09:55 AM

It's faster too! Slick as owl chit! :thumb:

Trinity
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
but if you still have IE on your computer, can't they still attack firefox.?

No, IE is a different program with different settings. Here read this.......

IE manages its security via “zones”—Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites, and Restricted sites. Within each zone, the user has a rich set of configuration options where authorizations can be fine-tuned. For example, Internet sites can be set to default to disallowing browser scripting, ActiveX, Flash, and other dangerous content. That’s the good news.

The bad news in all of these rich features is that a) by default, far too much untrustworthy content is allowed (e.g., JavaScript) and that b) the sheer vastness of the features will scare most users out of doing any substantive fine-tuning to protect themselves.

Firefox, on the other hand, is much simpler – but quite possibly too much so. JavaScript, for example, can be enabled or disabled (along with setting a half dozen or so JavaScript capabilities) for all or no sites. It’s nice that turning off dangerous features like this can be quickly turned on and off. It’s so simple that anyone could (and should!) experiment with it.

Here's some links for you to read.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/secu/article.php/3698606

http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/news+article.storyid+312.htm

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid14_gci1161433,00.html

Trinity
08-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Here's another piece of advice, next time you look into buying a computer get a MAC. :coffee:

jimnyc
08-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Admittedly, I didn't read every post in this thread in entirety. But I wanted to follow up on good protection tactics for those who are afraid of getting hijacked, viruses, malware....

I've been servicing computers for well over 15 years and have tried every program out there and have seen every technical issue out there related to the 'net. Here's the best combo I have found to protect yourself...

1) Be behind a router or hardware device that offers protection
2) Have a software firewall running (Zonealarm)
3) Virus software running, I have found "Avast" to be the best by far. They offer a free version but I use the Pro version
4) Use "AdAware" and run the program to check for spyware at least once every 48hrs.
5) Tune Up Utilities is a program that cleans your computer and registry. I run this before every reboot.
6) Spybot - great for spyware and malware - I run once per week.

It seems like a lot but it's not. I've been error free ever since running this combo, and it's really not a lot of time to run them....

Zone Alarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en/home.htm
Avast - http://www.avast.com/
AdAware - http://www.lavasoft.com/
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Tune Up Utilities - http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

Feel free to ask or PM me if you have any issues using these or finding them. :)

Trinity
08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
I have one to add, that I run everyday, before getting online. It scans for spy-ware, ad ware, security issues, registry errors, disc defrag. and a few others. I use the free version but they have an advanced version you can purchase as well.

Advanced system care
http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

Mr. P
08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Admittedly, I didn't read every post in this thread in entirety. But I wanted to follow up on good protection tactics for those who are afraid of getting hijacked, viruses, malware....

I've been servicing computers for well over 15 years and have tried every program out there and have seen every technical issue out there related to the 'net. Here's the best combo I have found to protect yourself...

1) Be behind a router or hardware device that offers protection
2) Have a software firewall running (Zonealarm)
3) Virus software running, I have found "Avast" to be the best by far. They offer a free version but I use the Pro version
4) Use "AdAware" and run the program to check for spyware at least once every 48hrs.
5) Tune Up Utilities is a program that cleans your computer and registry. I run this before every reboot.
6) Spybot - great for spyware and malware - I run once per week.

It seems like a lot but it's not. I've been error free ever since running this combo, and it's really not a lot of time to run them....

Zone Alarm - http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en/home.htm
Avast - http://www.avast.com/
AdAware - http://www.lavasoft.com/
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
Tune Up Utilities - http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/

Feel free to ask or PM me if you have any issues using these or finding them. :)

I use all except Tune up and have no issues either.

stephanie
08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Did I explain good enough for anyone to have a idea what was going on with my computer?

virus, Trojan attack, owner just plain nuts...??

Trinity
08-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Did I explain good enough for anyone to have a idea what was going on with my computer?

Yes, go back and read the instructions I posted for hijack this and then post the log file for me to review. I will then tell you what you can safely remove from your computer.

My guess is you have something embedded in your registry that is causing this issue. When you post the log file I will be able to see what is causing the problem in your registry.

Mr. P
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM

We know yer nuts, Steph. Trojans are on sale at CVS an the Dr. has antibiotics for that virus. :poke: :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

stephanie
08-10-2009, 10:22 AM
We know yer nuts, Steph. Trojans are on sale at CVS an the Dr. has antibiotics for that virus. :poke: :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

:slap::poke::laugh2:

stephanie
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes, go back and read the instructions I posted for hijack this and then post the log file for me to review. I will then tell you what you can safely remove from your computer.

My guess is you have something embedded in your registry that is causing this issue. When you post the log file I will be able to see what is causing the problem in your registry.

I'll do that Trinity, it might be later, so keep a eye out for it...

will it show all those male pron sites I visited? ya know I'm a lonely old lady.. J/k:laugh2:

Trinity
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM

:lmao: :lmao:

Trinity
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
I'll do that Trinity, it might be later, so keep a eye out for it...

will it show all those male pron sites I visited? ya know I'm a lonely old lady.. J/k:laugh2:

:laugh2:

Not unless they have dropped a file into your registry, and if that's the case you don't want it.

That could be the problem....lol:laugh2:

No1tovote4
08-10-2009, 10:31 AM

Aaaaaand SAFE!

No1tovote4
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Here's another piece of advice, next time you look into buying a computer get a MAC. :coffee:

Ugh... I have a few, I prefer the PCs. There is a reason they make more attack software for the PCs and it isn't because MACs are magically more secure, it is because PCs are used more.

Trinity
08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Ugh... I have a few, I prefer the PCs. There is a reason they make more attack software for the PCs and it isn't because MACs are magically more secure, it is because PCs are used more.

Exactly! :coffee: