PDA

View Full Version : Endangered Rabbits Returned to Wild, Quickly Eaten

-Cp
04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
LMAO!!

EPHRATA, Wash. — Most of a group of 20 endangered rabbits that were reintroduced to the wild with great fanfare last month have been killed by predators, state officials said.

Only four of the rabbits released on March 13 remained at the Sagebrush Flat Wildlife Area as of Tuesday, said David Hays, pygmy rabbit coordinator for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Hays said two males were removed earlier this month and will be returned at the end of April. The other 14 rabbits are believed to have fallen victim to predators, mainly coyotes, but also hawks and owls, Hays said.

The rabbits, small enough to fit in the palm of a hand, eat sagebrush and are the only rabbits in the United States that dig their own burrows.

The Sagebrush Flat Wildlife Area, about 10 miles north of Ephrata, is considered the last native home of the Columbia Basin pygmy rabbit. The rabbit was listed as a state endangered species in 1993 and federally protected in 2003.

The 3,700-acre release site has been watched daily by Fish and Wildlife staff. Several of the rabbits were fitted with GPS monitors. Of the four rabbits remaining at the site, three are females who could be pregnant, officials said.

Hays said the rapid decline in population does not doom the multimillion-dollar project to return the near-extinct rabbit to its natural environment. More rabbits will be released in the area, and experts are looking for ways to reduce predation.

"We're taking it week by week. This is valuable learning time," he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,265456,00.html

stephanie
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
If I were the people of Ephrata, I'd be asking for my money back...

Or at least some rabbit stew...

:poke:

Birdzeye
04-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey, Steph, these are small rabbits! You'd need a lot of them to make stew!

Personally, I don't like rabbit, and I'm a little annoyed that I can't plant veggies in my back yard because of a rabbit family. However, I'm sorry this attempt to rehabilitate an endangered species was a bust.

stephanie
04-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey, Steph, these are small rabbits! You'd need a lot of them to make stew!

Personally, I don't like rabbit, and I'm a little annoyed that I can't plant veggies in my back yard because of a rabbit family. However, I'm sorry this attempt to rehabilitate an endangered species was a bust.

Hey I'm all for trying to keep endangered animals around....

But good grief.........multi-million dollars...for a rabbit???

I've got a wild bunny that comes and eats in my yard every morning and then again in the evening..It's sooooo cute...Has done this now for two yrs..

Birdzeye
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
It's not clear who bankrolled the project, but I know I'd be willing to donate to projects like this. I'm just a sucker for animals (and I'm not a PETA member).

Psychoblues
04-13-2007, 03:58 AM
I live in Mississippi, Birdzeye. I was able to go out in the 50's and 60's and bag 5 or 6 rabbits (yes, I am a predator) in just an hour or two to help feed my family of seven. Now, however, I'm not likely to even see a rabbit once or twice a YEAR!!!!! The damn rEpublicons and the coyotes (I know, what's the difference?) have used it all up. I don't know who I am more pissed off about it, the pukes or the coyotes.

It's not clear who bankrolled the project, but I know I'd be willing to donate to projects like this. I'm just a sucker for animals (and I'm not a PETA member).

PS. We didn't have coyotes in Mississippi in the 50's and 60's.

stephanie
04-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Now, however, I'm not likely to even see a rabbit once or twice a YEAR!!!!! The damn rEpublicons and the coyotes (I know, what's the difference?) have used it all up.
I don't know who I am more pissed off about it, the pukes or the coyotes.

Oh for crying out loud....The rePukes caused it.....
I'm sure those dang coyotes are innocent
case closed.....:poke:

Birdzeye
04-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Coyotes used to be commonplace here in the mid-Atlantic area. Not anymore, which is why they believe we've had a population explosion of deer. Now THOSE are a menace! My husband has already hit deer twice while driving and we both have had countless close calls.

Gunny
04-13-2007, 08:28 AM
I live in Mississippi, Birdzeye. I was able to go out in the 50's and 60's and bag 5 or 6 rabbits (yes, I am a predator) in just an hour or two to help feed my family of seven. Now, however, I'm not likely to even see a rabbit once or twice a YEAR!!!!! The damn rEpublicons and the coyotes (I know, what's the difference?) have used it all up. I don't know who I am more pissed off about it, the pukes or the coyotes.

Republicans and coyotes? Sounds more like YOU ate them all, dipstick.

darin
04-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Archangel? is that you??

Abbey Marie
04-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Archangel? is that you??

I...don't...think...so. :coffee:

manu1959
04-13-2007, 10:49 AM

thought you were in korea and vietnam in the 50s and 60s:poke: