PDA

View Full Version : Should you be willing ti die for your faith?

Noir
08-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Just a quick question to anyone of faith on the board; Would you be willing to die for your faith if ever put in the position? Or would you deny your faith to try and preserve your life?

PostmodernProphet
08-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Just a quick question to anyone of faith on the board; Would you be willing to die for your faith if ever put in the position? Or would you deny your faith to try and preserve your life?

clarification please.....are you asking me if I would abandon my faith or merely lie?.......if I tell a terrorist holding a knife to my throat that I do not believe, but do, am I actually abandoning faith?......

Noir
08-09-2009, 06:25 AM
clarification please.....are you asking me if I would abandon my faith or merely lie?.......if I tell a terrorist holding a knife to my throat that I do not believe, but do, am I actually abandoning faith?......

yes that's what I mean, would you lie, and deny your faith of God in the hope that you would live. Or would you proclaim that you do have faith even if t could bring about your death?

And ofcourse in a real life context it may not matter what you answer, you may be killed anyway, the real meat of the question is if you could die knowing that your last action on earth was to deny your love of your God. For something as fickle as 20, 30, 40 years more on this planet

5stringJeff
08-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Noir, I suppose it all depends on context. Not many of us in the Western World will ever be put in a position where we will be killed for declaring our faith. I think that many Christians would do the 'brave' thing, proclaim their faith in Christ, and suffer whatever consequences may come, because we know that we have our reward coming to us from God for making that stand.

I think the more critical question for Christians (and I know you're asking this of all faiths; I'm only commenting on my own) is whether we are willing to stand up for our faith when it comes to smaller forms of persecution. Are we willing to stand up and be recognized as a Christian at work? Among friends? On Facebook (or your online social network of choice)? At the grocery store? If we choose to suffer as a Christian in such circumstances, we still gain.

crin63
08-09-2009, 07:15 AM
I certainly hope that I would have the courage to die rather than deny Christ. I would pray for the courage to do so.

08-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Any faith that cannot produce the faith necessary to sacrifices all things (including ones life) cannot produce the faith sufficient to save them.

Ive thought about this before. I dont think dying for faith is difficult. I think its living for it that is tough.

crin63
08-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Any faith that cannot produce the faith necessary to sacrifices all things (including ones life) cannot produce the faith sufficient to save them.

Ive thought about this before. I dont think dying for faith is difficult. I think its living for it that is tough.

I thought living it was tough also until I read Foxes book of martyrs. That gave me whole different perspective on things. Who was it, Caesar that lit his garden with the burning bodies of live Christians.

If it ever comes to dying for Christ I only hope I can keep my testimony and die without compromise.

No1tovote4
08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't get the question. Should you be willing to die for what you know is true? Well, considering the huge consequences it seems that almost anybody would say yes.

:dunno:

gabosaurus
08-10-2009, 06:14 PM
No. My family is more important to me.

Noir
08-10-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't get the question. Should you be willing to die for what you know is true? Well, considering the huge consequences it seems that almost anybody would say yes.

:dunno:

So you would be willing to stand by your faith, knowning it may bring death upon you, and the obvious distress it would cause to your wife/husband/children ect ect? Likewise would you want your wife/husband/children ect to chose standing by their faith as apose to life?

(btws I know it has been mentioned that te chances of anything like this happening are extremely unlikly, but still there is no harm in a little ponder, and I for one have found the responses quite interesting)

5stringJeff
08-10-2009, 08:40 PM
So you would be willing to stand by your faith, knowning it may bring death upon you, and the obvious distress it would cause to your wife/husband/children ect ect? Likewise would you want your wife/husband/children ect to chose standing by their faith as apose to life?

(btws I know it has been mentioned that te chances of anything like this happening are extremely unlikly, but still there is no harm in a little ponder, and I for one have found the responses quite interesting)

I would hope that my wife, parents, children, friends, etc. would make the same choice that I would make; to stand up for my faith, regardless of the consequences. I know that I'll see them in heaven (since I know my family's faith in Christ). And if it causes me temporary grief, it will be nothing compared to the eternal joy that God has waiting for those He has redeemed.