PDA

View Full Version : Obama questions whether old people in later years should get expensive med procedures

Little-Acorn
08-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Several months ago, Barack Obama's grandmother had hip-replacement surgery, but then died weeks later at age 86. Later, Obama questioned the wisdom of giving "my grandmother, or eveyone else's aging grandparents or parents" such expensive surgery in their later years through government-run health care.

Of course, he pointed out that he would have paid for such surgery himself for his grandmother.

But he has not publicly addressed the question of how others might do that under Obamacare, after the programs starts running out of money and possibly has to cut back on services. By that time, most privately practicing physicians who could do the procedures, may have been driven out of business by tax-money-subsidized Socialized Medicine, leaving no one available to do the procedures outside the government-run health care system.

--------------------------------------

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&sid=aGrKbfWkzTqc

Obama Says Grandmother’s Hip Replacement Raises Cost Questions

By Hans Nichols

April 29 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama said his grandmother’s hip-replacement surgery during the final weeks of her life made him wonder whether expensive procedures for the terminally ill reflect a “sustainable model” for health care.

The president’s grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, had a hip replaced after she was diagnosed with cancer, Obama said in an interview with the New York Times magazine that was published today. Dunham, who lived in Honolulu, died at the age of 86 on Nov. 2, 2008, two days before her grandson’s election victory.

“I don’t know how much that hip replacement cost,” Obama said in the interview. “I would have paid out of pocket for that hip replacement just because she’s my grandmother.”

Obama said “you just get into some very difficult moral issues” when considering whether “to give my grandmother, or everybody else’s aging grandparents or parents, a hip replacement when they’re terminally ill.

“That’s where I think you just get into some very difficult moral issues,” he said in the April 14 interview. “The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80 percent of the total health- care bill out here.”

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

Nukeman
08-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I have to ask, What kind of Dr. performs a hip replacement on a TERMINALY ILL patient?? That is the million dollar question. Sounds to me like an "insuranceectomy". Of course I could just be jaded from the years I have worked in health care and the amount of waste I have observed....

Little-Acorn
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I have to ask, What kind of Dr. performs a hip replacement on a TERMINALY ILL patient??

A doctor whose complete fees were paid, hospital room paid for, all other expenses paid, and he was asked really nicely by concerned and loving relatives who would like to see their Grandma have a little more comfort in her final weeks or months and didn't mind paying the cost themselves?

(Well, did I get it right?)

You mentioned "waste". What did those loving relatives reply when you told them that's what their action was?

After they asked you, of course, what business it was of yours how they spent their own money.

:poke:

Nukeman
08-12-2009, 05:41 PM
A doctor whose complete fees were paid, hospital room paid for, all other expenses paid, and he was asked really nicely by concerned and loving relatives who would like to see their Grandma have a little more comfort in her final weeks or months and didn't mind paying the cost themselves?

(Well, did I get it right?)

You mentioned "waste". What did those loving relatives reply when you told them that's what their action was?

After they asked you, of course, what business it was of yours how they spent their own money.

:poke:I have to ask are you at all familiar with what the body goes through during a hip transplant?? It is very traumatic for a YOUNG HEALTH person. Now once agan WHY would you replace the hip in a TERMINALLY ILL PATIENT. You do understand what a terminal condition is don't you. I am not talking someone who has years left but come on!!! Be for real.....

Where did I refer to this instance as waste. I have said in general that their is a lot of waste in health care due to irresponsible patients, doctors, and good intentioned family.... If you think otherwise you are sorely misguided as well as misinformed!!!!!

As a side note the recovery time for a hip replacement on a young person is months it is a year or more for someone in their 80-90's. Ya real comfortable for them yaa laying in a hospital bed in pain yep real compassionate