PDA

View Full Version : I Have a Ham Bone

Nienna
04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Anyone got a good bean soup recipe I can use it in? :)

krisy
04-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Nienna,if you can hang on until tomorrow,a girl at work makes a darn good bean soup. I can get her recipe for ya.

shattered
04-12-2007, 09:03 PM

I had a ham bone, too. I gave it away. I'll go over for dinner when that person makes pea soup out of it. :D

Mr. P
04-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Oh yea!

Nienna
04-12-2007, 10:08 PM
All right! Looking forward to seeing those recipes! :)

Nienna
04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Okay.... I'm STARTING to think you all were just teasing me about those recipes. Please say it isn't so!

Mr. P
04-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Okay.... I'm STARTING to think you all were just teasing me about those recipes. Please say it isn't so!

You still have that bone?

Nienna
04-16-2007, 06:31 PM
You still have that bone?

I froze it.... is that bad?

Mr. P
04-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I froze it.... is that bad?

How much meat is left on it?

Nienna
04-16-2007, 06:55 PM
How much meat is left on it?

A pretty fair amount. Can't really even see the bone, except at the top.

Mr. P
04-16-2007, 07:03 PM
A pretty fair amount. Can't really even see the bone, except at the top.

I use neck bones, which I think are gross, but I'll give you my recipe if you want it later tonight. It should work with that bone and it's very simple, pretty much off the bean package.

Gaffer
04-16-2007, 07:24 PM
What I do is soak the beans over night, then put them in a slow cooker with a few carrots celery and any other seasoning you like. Put the bone in the cooker and let it cook all day. Stir it occasionally.

jackass
04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
:puke3:

shattered
04-16-2007, 07:44 PM

Is there any reason you're puking all over a perfectly good ham bone?

Mr. P
04-16-2007, 07:58 PM

With pea soup at that! Geeezzz.

Gaffer
04-16-2007, 08:08 PM

So post a recipe.

Nienna
04-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I use neck bones, which I think are gross, but I'll give you my recipe if you want it later tonight. It should work with that bone and it's very simple, pretty much off the bean package.

Sounds good. :)

krisy
04-17-2007, 06:33 AM
Sorry Nienna,I did ask for her recipe.

SHe said they just throw it in with the beans in a crockpot and season to taste with garlic and several other spices. Not to much of a recipe,I know.

Gaffer
04-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Sorry Nienna,I did ask for her recipe.

SHe said they just throw it in with the beans in a crockpot and season to taste with garlic and several other spices. Not to much of a recipe,I know.

Pretty much what I do.

jackass
04-17-2007, 02:09 PM

Sorry after re-reading the post I realize that you are talking about beans and ham. I HATE pea soup!

Kathianne
04-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Pretty much what I do.

Well I'll say, my pea soup recipe is sorta similar:

Ham bone or some cubed ham
Package of split peas
carrots
onlons
celery
potatoes

Soak beans for many hours or overnight. Get rid of those that look cruddy. Rinse.

Put 6 C. water to boil, add beans, some onions-quarters, carrots, celery stalks. Return to boil, then simmer for a long time (maybe 3-5 hours). Get rid of veggies other than peas and water. Throw in food processor. Whirl away. Put back in stock pot. Add diced onions, celery, carrots. Bring back to boil and simmer for another couple hours-add ham bone at this point if using. Then pick of ham, if using ham bone.

Add chopped carrots, onions, celery, chopped potatoes, chopped ham if not using ham bone and meat. Simmer for another hour or so. Adjust salt, pepper.

Serve with plenty of oyster crackers, garlic croutons or garlic bread.

TheStripey1
04-20-2007, 01:08 PM
sounds good... when's dinner?

Abbey Marie
04-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Well I'll say, my pea soup recipe is sorta similar:

Ham bone or some cubed ham
Package of split peas
carrots
onlons
celery
potatoes

Soak beans for many hours or overnight. Get rid of those that look cruddy. Rinse.

Put 6 C. water to boil, add beans, some onions-quarters, carrots, celery stalks. Return to boil, then simmer for a long time (maybe 3-5 hours). Get rid of veggies other than peas and water. Throw in food processor. Whirl away. Put back in stock pot. Add diced onions, celery, carrots. Bring back to boil and simmer for another couple hours-add ham bone at this point if using. Then pick of ham, if using ham bone.

Add chopped carrots, onions, celery, chopped potatoes, chopped ham if not using ham bone and meat. Simmer for another hour or so. Adjust salt, pepper.

Serve with plenty of oyster crackers, garlic croutons or garlic bread.

That does sound good. Is it possible to make a good pea soup with a hand mixer and no ham bone? We do not own a food preocessor, and we don't eat ham.