PDA

View Full Version : Bailing hay

Trigg
08-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Even in this economy there are jobs to be found. Hot, sweaty, exhausting jobs that don't pay very well, according to my son.

He spent the day with afbombloaders son bailing hay for 6 hours in 86 degree heat.

He's on a mission to afford a car and be able to pay 1/2 the insurance. We're picking up half the cost, but he's 16 so it's expensive.

He has always planned on college, this just reinforced that decision.

5stringJeff
08-14-2009, 05:17 PM
That's good stuff. When I was 15, we moved into a new house in WA. The house had a cement drainage pipe that had collapsed. We had to dig a ditch 4 feet deep and about 30 feet long to put in a new PVC drainage pipe. That was the most physically demanding job I've ever had to do.

glockmail
08-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I just went through this with my 17 year old. I'm having him refinish the deck. Not to go into details but it's a big job, and he's not used to working chores that last more than an hour or so. Its a big step in your life to go to a task that takes a week or more full days and we had the conversation 'how do you keep at it'. I told him that you just do it, everyone does, that's what 40 hours is all about.

Mr. P
08-15-2009, 12:07 AM
That's good stuff. When I was 15, we moved into a new house in WA. The house had a cement drainage pipe that had collapsed. We had to dig a ditch 4 feet deep and about 30 feet long to put in a new PVC drainage pipe. That was the most physically demanding job I've ever had to do.

:laugh2: That's nothing, you should try spreading concrete delivered from a truck when it's 90 degrees.

PostmodernProphet
08-15-2009, 06:07 AM
:laugh2: That's nothing, you should try spreading concrete delivered from a truck when it's 90 degrees.

I've done both, bailing hay is worse....

CSM
08-15-2009, 06:24 AM
The best/worst job I ever had was working in a tannery. started when I was 15 and worked there until 17.

There is nothing wrong with good hard work...it makes you appreciate that paycheck.

Trigg
08-15-2009, 08:59 AM
The best/worst job I ever had was working in a tannery. started when I was 15 and worked there until 17.

There is nothing wrong with good hard work...it makes you appreciate that paycheck.

Hopefully it will also make him appreciate how hard his parents work for our money, when he's asking for a new video game.

Today he's off to cut his grandma's grass, this has been his primary job for the summer.

Last weekend I made him spend his own money for a new shirt he wanted, his response was "I have to spend my own money on clothes?". I'm so mean.

Trigg
08-15-2009, 09:02 AM
My hardest job when I was younger was cleaning out stalls.

I grew up on a mini farm, we had goats, rabbits, hogs and a steer. NO FUN AT ALL.

I had no brothers so that job was done by my sister and me.

glockmail
08-15-2009, 06:16 PM
I've learned something from every job I've done. And I've washed pots in a commercial kitchen.