PDA

View Full Version : Another choice besides AARP

stephanie
08-17-2009, 10:00 PM
check them out if you wish..

JOIN and then mail your TORN AARP card along with your new ASA membership number to 3700 Mansell Rd., Suite 220, Alpharetta, GA 30022 to get a second year of membership for free!

Media Appearance Alert!

ASA President Stuart Barton to appear on CBS News. Monday, August 17th 6:00 pm ESTor shortly after. Please tune in
ASA FounderJerry Barton will appear on CNN’s Lou Dobbs show Monday, August 17th during a 7:30 p.m. ESTsegment.

http://www.americanseniors.org/Pages/home.aspx?Images=/images/index_new.gif

stephanie
08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
some links and comments at site.

Tens of Thousands Don't Like the Health Care Overhaul

AARP Backlash

Up to 60,000 Americans have canceled their AARP memberships due to anger over the group's position on health care. As Sharyl Attkisson reports, many are switching to a 'conservative alternative.'

(CBS) CBS News has learned that up to 60,000 people have cancelled their AARP memberships since July 1, angered over the group's position on health care.

Elaine Guardiani has been with AARP for 14 years, and said, "I'm extremely disappointed in AARP."

Retired nurse Dale Anderson has 12 years with AARP and said, "I don't wanna be connected with AARP."

Many are switching to the American Seniors Association, a group that calls itself the conservative alternative as CBS News Investigative Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson reports.

Watch Extended AARP Interview Here

Last week alone, they added more than 5,000 new members. Our camera was there Friday when the mail came.

Letters were filled with cut-up AARP cards.

"I think that probably the seniors are most upset with cuts in Medicare," said ASA President Stuart Barton.

The American Seniors Association is flat-out against President Obama's plan, which calls for $313 billion dollars in Medicare cuts over ten years. The AARP is widely viewed as supporting the President.

Last week, Obama told a town meeting in Portsmouth, NH, "We have the AARP on board because they know this is a good deal for our seniors."

The AARP called the President's statements "inaccurate," saying it hasn't endorsed any plan or bill.

Some were left with the feeling that AARP was waffling.

"I feel they're supporting it through the backdoor, and telling members that they're not through the front door," said Guardiani.

"AARP has not endorsed any plan at this point," said Cheryl Matheis, AARP VP for Social Impact.

Public or Co-op? Comparing Health Options

More coverage of Health Care Reform

Yet the AARP's Cheryl Matheis couldn't find anything to quibble with, including the Medicare cuts which she says will not affect benefits.

"We haven't seen provisions in legislation yet, so we're going to reserve judgment until we see them," said Matheis.

Meantime, the AARP's image suffered with this town meeting already seen by hundreds of thousands on YouTube.

Faced with skeptical questions from the audience, the AARP representative ends the meeting abruptly. When the discussion continues, she pulls the plug on the microphone.

AARP says for a group with 40 million members that adds hundreds of thousands each month, losing 60 thousand is just a drop in the bucket. But to the much smaller American Seniors Association it's a flood.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/17/eveningnews/main5247916.shtml?tag=stack

namvet
08-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I get mail spam from them often. although lately its slowed down. looks like they dug a hole they can't get out of.

Gaffer
08-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Never joined aarp and never intend too. I never trust anyone that advertises "the people you trust". It's kinda like someone say trust me. That's a sure way to get my suspicions up.

namvet
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
or we're the oldest co in business. we just forgot to advertise that till now !!!!

HogTrash
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
The AARP has always been a left-leaning organization...I never trust anyone or anything that leans left.

Nor I will ever knowingly of my own free will give money to an organization who may contribute to the Democrat Party.

I will definately check out the ASA...Thank you for the tip, stephanie.

cat slave
08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
Thats just about the last thing Id ever join. Too bad cause I dont have a card
to rip up and send in. Ill send an email.