PDA

View Full Version : Aint gonna fix it myself

crin63
08-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Okay, so I have a hot water leak. It sounds like its right inside the wall above the hot water heater, but OH NO!!! After cutting out a 10" x 10' long I find the water leak is in the hot water manifold.

Did I mention that the piping in the house is all 25 year old copper?

As it turns out the hot water manifold is inside the air gap between the exterior wall of my fireplace and the interior wall of the firebox. The only way to get to the manifold is by demolishing a 1/4 of the fireplace in my front room which will also tear up my wood flooring no doubt. The interior of the fireplace was completely remodeled roughly 2 years ago. Chances of matching up the tile is slim so the entire fireplace would have to be redone.

The only other other option is to re-pipe the the entire house. Los Angeles county has not yet approved using the rolled plastic piping for residents which has a 25 year warranty and is used in neighboring counties. I have to re-pipe with copper. The 1st estimate I received was for $7000 to re-pipe.

Plastic piping would be a 1/3 the cost of copper.

Solar
09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Okay, so I have a hot water leak. It sounds like its right inside the wall above the hot water heater, but OH NO!!! After cutting out a 10" x 10' long I find the water leak is in the hot water manifold.

Did I mention that the piping in the house is all 25 year old copper?

As it turns out the hot water manifold is inside the air gap between the exterior wall of my fireplace and the interior wall of the firebox. The only way to get to the manifold is by demolishing a 1/4 of the fireplace in my front room which will also tear up my wood flooring no doubt. The interior of the fireplace was completely remodeled roughly 2 years ago. Chances of matching up the tile is slim so the entire fireplace would have to be redone.

The only other other option is to re-pipe the the entire house. Los Angeles county has not yet approved using the rolled plastic piping for residents which has a 25 year warranty and is used in neighboring counties. I have to re-pipe with copper. The 1st estimate I received was for $7000 to re-pipe.

Plastic piping would be a 1/3 the cost of copper.

Have you considered a tankless model?
Also not certain about the Counties rules over poly pipe, seeing how it is in all new manufactured housing, so their denying you a retrofit is simply illegal.