PDA

View Full Version : 'Cash for Clunkers' reimbursement slow in coming

red states rule
08-18-2009, 10:01 AM
What the hell happend to the $3 billion that was set aside for this program?

If the government can't run this program, how will they run the nations healthcare industry?

'Cash for Clunkers' reimbursement slow in coming

Most Maryland auto dealers participating in "Cash for Clunkers" have yet to be reimbursed by the federal government, raising concerns about the financial pressure the program is putting on dealers.

Meanwhile, the U.S. Department of Transportation said it is working overtime to process an overwhelming number of claims and trying to make sure that taxpayer money is paid out only for legitimate transactions.

The Car Allowance Rebate System, better known as Cash for Clunkers, offers $3,500 or $4,500 to consumers who scrap a gas-guzzler and buy a more fuel-efficient new vehicle. The program kicked off July 24 and was so popular that it ran through its $1 billion in funding after about one week. Congress quickly passed legislation to provide an additional $2 billion.

Dealers essentially front the money for the cash incentive, and the government promises to reimburse them. In the first three weeks of the program, dealers submitted 358,851 reimbursement claims, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. As of last week, Maryland dealers had submitted claims for $34.4 million in reimbursements.

But few of those dollars have made their way back to Maryland.

"It's getting to the point where we can't keep sustaining this thing," said Peter Kitzmiller, president of the Maryland Automobile Dealers Association. "We can't afford to keep putting out money."

The regulations called for dealers to be reimbursed in seven to 10 days, Kitzmiller said. "That certainly hasn't been the case."

The Maryland dealers association surveyed 300 members last week about the program. Among the 70 respondents so far, fewer than 2 percent of claims for reimbursement have been paid. Nine percent had been rejected, while another 9 percent were approved but not yet paid.

Kitzmiller said the government owes some dealers hundreds of thousands of dollars and even millions.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-bz.dealers18aug18,0,850851.story

Trigg
08-18-2009, 02:43 PM
If the government can't run this program, how will they run the nations healthcare industry

Answer they'll screw it up.

Until the gov. fixes the problems with the VA's and medicare I don't want them anywhere near MY healthcare. They've got their fingers in two things that are a mess already.

red states rule
08-18-2009, 10:47 PM

Until the gov. fixes the problems with the VA's and medicare I don't want them anywhere near MY healthcare. They've got their fingers in two things that are a mess already.

What's next. Cash for Dryers? Cash for Washers? Cash for VCRs?

Unfortunatly, the $3 billion spent in the cash for clunkers was borrowed by Obama, and our grandchildren are going to be paying for somebodys car down the road.

Also, 6 months from now, I would love to see how many of those new car loans are in default. It could be like when Dems wanted to make home ownership a "right"

Trigg
08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Seems dealers in NY are pulling out of the program because the gov. has only reimbursed them 2% of their deals.

Schienberg said the group's dealers have been repaid for only about 2 percent of the clunkers deals they've made so far.

Many dealers have said they are worried they won't get repaid at all, while others have waited so long to get reimbursed they don't have the cash to fund any more rebates, Schienberg said.

"The program is a great program in the sense that it's creating a lot of floor traffic that a lot of dealers haven't seen in a long time," he said.

"But it's in the hands of this enormous bureaucracy and regulatory agency," he added. "If they don't get out of their own way, this program is going to be a huge failure."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9A63RC81&show_article=1

This folks is what is going to happen if the gov. gets their fingers in our private health insurance.

All those people at the town halls are CORRECT. There will be long waits and rationing. Anyone with common sense will tell you that.

Jeff
08-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Seems dealers in NY are pulling out of the program because the gov. has only reimbursed them 2% of their deals.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9A63RC81&show_article=1

This folks is what is going to happen if the gov. gets their fingers in our private health insurance.

All those people at the town halls are CORRECT. There will be long waits and rationing. Anyone with common sense will tell you that.

Same thing here in GA, a dealer well salesman was telling me they aren't getting the mo0ney from the Gov. but they are marking the price of the cars up

red states rule
08-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Same thing here in GA, a dealer well salesman was telling me they aren't getting the mo0ney from the Gov. but they are marking the price of the cars up

These dealers are learning an important lesson

If you get in bed with the government, you are going to get screwed

Monkeybone
08-20-2009, 08:15 AM
'Clunkers' Program May End by Early September

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/20/clunkers-program-end-early-sept/?test=latestnews

Oh well...isn't that nice. So if they end it will they just approve the ones that are already turned in? If not, then that money needs to come back since it was a waste to put in the extra anyways.

Monkeybone
08-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Don't forget the healthcare for Indians/Native Americans. Apparently that isn't all that great either.

red states rule
08-20-2009, 08:19 AM
The capacity for government to screw things up never ceases to amaze me.

Just make you all warm and fuzzy, when a tiny 3 billion dollars project gets bottlenecked in the disfunctional bowels of our government.

People wonder why there is such strong resistance letting them touch anything else and would not turn into the same disaster that most of the government programs seem to be unable to avoid.

Just makes so much sense to give them a trillion dollar program for HC, doesn't it?

namvet
08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
if they ran a lemonade stand its broke in 1 day. why should we expect any less???

red states rule
08-20-2009, 08:35 AM
if they ran a lemonade stand its broke in 1 day. why should we expect any less???

It's not about failure, it's about the general incompetence of the government liberals are so in love with to solve everyone's issues. If they cannot implement a program of this miniscule size, then how in the world would anyone put their faith in their ability to juggle something like HC.

Oh wait, we already have proof that they can bankrupt a government run program, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

namvet
08-20-2009, 08:38 AM
It's not about failure, it's about the general incompetence of the government liberals are so in love with to solve everyone's issues. If they cannot implement a program of this miniscule size, then how in the world would anyone put their faith in their ability to juggle something like HC.

Oh wait, we already have proof that they can bankrupt a government run program, Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

and the lemonade stand ??? it gets a bail out :laugh2:

red states rule
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
and the lemonade stand ??? it gets a bail out :laugh2:

If the government will not pay car dealers - do you think the government will pay doctors?

Trigg
08-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Here's another one in a different state. Love the comment section.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/business/business_krqe_albuquerque_dealers_stiffed_as_clunk ers_pile_up_200908200033

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Some New Mexico auto dealers have backed out of the cash-for-clunkers program and more may do so as the federal government takes its time providing cash reimbursements.

Dealers across the state are owed more than $3.6 million, according to a dealers' group which says that so far Uncle Sam has only written three checks totaling about $14,000

From the comments:

Can you name me ONE thing that the government created and runs well.

This works just like Medicare and health insurance companies.

They decide when to pay you . I am sure they will find multiple problems with the submitted paperwork which will delay payment or they will "deny coverage" after the fact and totally stiff the dealers.

I would suggest that the dealers triple the number of people in the billing dept to fight the claims. Just like
we do the health care field. Of course, will be no extra reimbursement to cover the excess FTE's

Gee, gotta wonder why people are skeptical of the gov. getting their fingers in more of OUR health care.

red states rule
08-20-2009, 10:23 PM
This program has created a lot of debt for consumers, and the US taxpayers.

Gotta love that hope and change

Kathianne
08-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Hope & Change:

Links at site

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2009/08/buh-bye-cash-for-clunkers---program-crashes-burns.html

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Buh Bye Cash For Clunkers - Program Crashes, Burns

Wait for it. Because the announcement of the end of the Cash for Clunkers program combines that special type of honesty you can only get when government and the media both join in. Read the third graph.

The dealers haven't gotten their money, don't know when they will. That means the financing, or loss of investment potential on said capital is theirs to eat ... but it was a life line for the auto industry! At whose expense? Oh, don't worry. The dealers are politically active on both sides of the aisle. That means they'll likely get a bump if need be to cover costs and their end will come from you. Because bailout means never having to say you're sorry, or something like that.

And now all those "clunkers," read serviceable older vehicles in many cases, are filled with sodium silicate and off the market, driving up the cost of used cars! It's win win! Just not for you and me my friends! Obama might not do wine from water, yet ... but the liberal messiah sure does make a lot of something out of nothing every chance he gets....

Gaffer
08-21-2009, 09:18 AM
Hope & Change:

Links at site

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carnivorous_conservative/2009/08/buh-bye-cash-for-clunkers---program-crashes-burns.html

The car dealers weren't thrown a life line, they were thrown a brick.

Trigg
08-28-2009, 11:03 AM
That's right folks that "free" money from uncle sam, well you'r gonna be taxed on it. I guess nothing is ever free afterall

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,89084

But many of those cashing in on the clunkers program are surprised when they get to the treasurer's office windows. That's because the government's rebate of up to $4500 dollars for every clunker is taxable.

Nelson adds that if you did recently purchase a vehicle, ensure your dealer gets you the paperwork in time because if they don't you could pay extra interest and penalties.

Apparently the dealers have 30 days to get the paper work to the new owners. Otherwise the OWNER pays interest penalties.

just more HOPE AND CHANGE

namvet
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
the buyers got the coal mine. the dealers got the shaft. and an IOU that won't be paid. Osama's broke.

Trigg
08-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Now the gov. is thinking of giving out money for old refrigerators. I'm sooooooo glad my tax dollars are being used responsibly.