PDA

View Full Version : THEY FOUND the FAT GENE :)

darin
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
YAY! :) Maybe now I can get meds and make it all go away!

A gene that contributes to obesity has been identified for the first time, promising to explain why some people easily put on weight while others with similar lifestyles stay slim.

People who inherit one version of the gene rather than another are 70 per cent more likely to be obese, British scientists have discovered. One in six people has the most vulnerable genetic make-up and weighs an average 3kg more than those with the lowest risk. They also have 15 per cent more body fat.

The findings provide the first robust link between a common gene and obesity, and could eventually lead to new ways of tackling one of the most significant causes of ill health in the developed world. One in four British adults is classified as obese, and half of men and a third of women are overweight.

Obesity is a main cause of heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes. An adviser to the Government’s health spending watchdog said recently that the condition was a bigger national danger than smoking, alcohol or poverty.

Read the rest!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article1647517.ece

Side note - thanks to the miracle of modern technology, we've got a PHOTO of the gene, too!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132&stc=1&d=1176477801

Abbey Marie
04-13-2007, 10:35 AM
One in four British adults is classified as obese, and half of men and a third of women are overweight.

That sentence surprised me. When I was in England, one of the things I noticed, was there were almost no obese people.

manu1959
04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
That sentence surprised me. When I was in England, one of the things I noticed, was there were almost no obese people.

they are not allowed near the tourists

Abbey Marie
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM

:laugh2:

Nienna
04-13-2007, 11:52 AM

:D

Gunny
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
YAY! :) Maybe now I can get meds and make it all go away!

Side note - thanks to the miracle of modern technology, we've got a PHOTO of the gene, too!

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132&stc=1&d=1176477801

Fat gene = couch w/ remote control pocket.

Trigg
04-13-2007, 04:15 PM

:laugh2: :laugh2:

glockmail
04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
That sentence surprised me. When I was in England, one of the things I noticed, was there were almost no obese people. The last trip to Florida the Brit tourists were all over the place and I swear every one of them was a fattie. Worse than the Americans.

krisy
04-14-2007, 08:08 AM
I saw a show on the tube once where they said that scientific studies over the years had shown that obesity comes 1/3 from genetics,1/3 amount of excercise,and 1/3 from what you eat. Seems to make sense. SO just because you have the gene,other factors play into it more than the gene do,obviosly

I'm surprised that more men are obese. Mainly because a lot of women struggle with it so much after having babies.Plus,it just seems like I see more heavy women than men....real scientific,huh-lol!!

Oh,dmp.Looking at your pictures,I don't think your fat at all. Why all the jokes about yourself. Your a good looking guy

Roomy
04-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Michael will be pleased:laugh2:

shattered
04-14-2007, 10:58 AM

You forgot the 6 pack of beer, which is a major contributing factor.