PDA

View Full Version : Off to surgery, finally!

Trinity
08-21-2009, 05:53 AM
My 13 year old is finally getting his surgery this morning at 10:00am. We have only been trying to get this done for about a year now. The last time it was scheduled, back in May, he ended up getting a fever the night before and we had to cancel the surgery. He has a cyst up above the roots of his top teeth, that they are removing today. I think I am more nervous then he is. He's just looking forward to being off school, he hopes for a week. I doubt it.

stephanie
08-21-2009, 06:00 AM
here's hoping for a speedy recovery for him and

for you..:thumb:

Jeff
08-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Good luck, hope he gets well soon

Gaffer
08-21-2009, 06:00 PM
He's home and doing fine. A little inebriated from the anesthesia, but doing okay. I'm told the cyst was the size of a quarter.

Jeff
08-21-2009, 06:11 PM
He's home and doing fine. A little inebriated from the anesthesia, but doing okay. I'm told the cyst was the size of a quarter.

Glad to hear it Gaffer, Here's to a speedy recovery

Kathianne
08-21-2009, 07:39 PM

So glad to hear it!

Trinity
08-22-2009, 08:58 AM
He is doing well now, although he does have a swollen face and a fat lip. He woke up this morning in some pain and took a pain pill other then that he is feeling fine. Speaking of feeling fine you should have seen this kid yesterday.

They gave him a sedative to relax him before surgery, he was trashed to say the least. He kept trying to hug his brother and telling him he loved him :eek: not normal. He was slurring his words and kept wanting to get up. I told him he was not allowed up because he would fall. He was trying to tell me no he wouldn't, I told him yes you will. I then said your so trashed I can hold you down with one finger. He says in his drunk voice nooo youuu can't. So I put one finger on his shoulder and kept him down, while he tried to get up about 5 times and couldn't.

9/12er
08-22-2009, 05:14 PM
He is doing well now, although he does have a swollen face and a fat lip. He woke up this morning in some pain and took a pain pill other then that he is feeling fine. Speaking of feeling fine you should have seen this kid yesterday.

They gave him a sedative to relax him before surgery, he was trashed to say the least. He kept trying to hug his brother and telling him he loved him :eek: not normal. He was slurring his words and kept wanting to get up. I told him he was not allowed up because he would fall. He was trying to tell me no he wouldn't, I told him yes you will. I then said your so trashed I can hold you down with one finger. He says in his drunk voice nooo youuu can't. So I put one finger on his shoulder and kept him down, while he tried to get up about 5 times and couldn't.

Hehehehe - almost sounds like fun... glad things are going well for him - I'll keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery :)

Trinity
08-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Hehehehe - almost sounds like fun... glad things are going well for him - I'll keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery :)

It was kinda fun in a way....It took the edge off for all of us, even though he was the only one that actually took the sedative.

His face this morning is SWOLLEN......looks like someone shoved a baseball in the side of his mouth. I see if I can post a pic later. Poor kid.

Trinity
08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Ok here's some pics............ The first one was taken yesterday morning, a little swollen but not to bad. The second was taken about 15 minutes ago, kid looks like some one beat him with a ball bat. I have a feeling he may end up with a black eye too, although I haven't told him that yet.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/kami1970/Picture021.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/kami1970/Picture032.jpg

Mr. P
08-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Increasing swelling two days AFTER the surgery would concern me. I'd be watching for fever and calling the Dr. myself.
Maybe this is normal? Or maybe an infection developing.

Just my thoughts.

Trinity
08-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Increasing swelling two days AFTER the surgery would concern me. I'd be watching for fever and calling the Dr. myself.
Maybe this is normal? Or maybe an infection developing.

Just my thoughts.

It's normal, the Dr. told me the day he had surgery that by Sunday his cheek would be the size of a baseball. And so far no fever.

Mr. P
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Glad to hear that. :thumb:

Gaffer
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Yep a black eye appears to be in the works. Looked, from the first picture, like one was likely. You'll be lucky to get him to go to school by Wed. He'll be hiding his face for a week.

Trinity
08-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Yep a black eye appears to be in the works. Looked, from the first picture, like one was likely. You'll be lucky to get him to go to school by Wed. He'll be hiding his face for a week.

Yep he is already saying I'm not going to school like this.

Kathianne
08-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Good looking kid, if one ignores the swelling. Poor thing, if I were him I'd milk it until at least Wed. ;)

Trinity
08-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Good looking kid, if one ignores the swelling. Poor thing, if I were him I'd milk it until at least Wed. ;)

Thanks! I think he's going to try to. He's still in pain and on pain meds though so I am leery of sending him to school on pain meds. Then of course I would have to go and fill out a medication form, and take the meds in for him to take during the day. And they are a narcotic, so I think I would rather him just stay home for a couple of more days. I'm weary of other people giving my kids medicine, especially a narcotic.

red states rule
08-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Yep he is already saying I'm not going to school like this.

Trinity, I am sorry I missed this thread. I am glad your son is doing well, and consider him in my prayers for a full recovery