PDA

View Full Version : 1st Amendment Question

Noir
08-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Simple question.
Hopefully simple answer.
The 1st Amendment is as follows;
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Question : Should a religion receive tax exempt status? (and not all relgions, just religions chosen by the IRS)

crin63
08-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Simple question.
Hopefully simple answer.
The 1st Amendment is as follows;
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Question : Should a religion receive tax exempt status? (and not all relgions, just religions chosen by the IRS)

The IRS should not exist in its current form and no organization or person should be directly taxed IMHO.

That said if they are a not for profit (501c3) corporation, yes they should be tax exempt. There are allot of regulations regarding their exemption and they also fall under the Sarbanes/Oxley Bill which gave the government overwhelming power in removing the their tax exempt status.

Noir
08-25-2009, 09:35 AM
The IRS should not exist in its current form and no organization or person should be directly taxed IMHO.

That said if they are a not for profit (501c3) corporation, yes they should be tax exempt. There are allot of regulations regarding their exemption and they also fall under the Sarbanes/Oxley Bill which gave the government overwhelming power in removing the their tax exempt status.

Very well you may wish that, however, they do exist and do tax directy. In which case is it not against the 1st Amendment to give one religion prefernce over another by giving it tax exempt status?

Monkeybone
08-25-2009, 09:38 AM
if they don't follow the regulations that were set up, then they have no one to blame but themselves. That is probably how they get around it. If the religion is not named, then how can you prove that they are going against the 1st Amendment?

And i would also like/guess that I should ask is there a specific thing that you are talking about?

Nukeman
08-25-2009, 09:43 AM
ALL religions should be tax exempt. Just because I or someone else may not agree with their teaching who are we to decide that they should pay taxes. the whole point of the freedom from gov't on religion is so that the gov't shall not be seen as holding one religion over another.

There really is NO seperation of church and state just that the state " shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" They (gov't) will not put one religion above another nothing about having NOTHING to do with religion., there for if they tax one church but not another they are in essence "prohibiting the free exercise", and also by not taxing certain churches they are "respecting and establishing" that religion...

In fact by the way they go about denying anyone the ability to express their beliefs in gov't buildings they are in essence putting forth one idea over another. You can say that being agnostic/athiest is the absence of faith however by putiing your faith in "nothing" your still putting your faith into your beliefs....

of course this is just MY opinion!!!:beer:

Noir
08-25-2009, 09:45 AM
if they don't follow the regulations that were set up, then they have no one to blame but themselves. That is probably how they get around it. If the religion is not named, then how can you prove that they are going against the 1st Amendment?

And i would also like/guess that I should ask is there a specific thing that you are talking about?

Indeed there is. The Church of $cientology recieves tax free status in the USA. All that the IRS have said on the issue is that it is at their discression who recieves tax free status, and that the meetings between the IRS and the Co$ were carried out in private, and may not be the subject of a judicial review.

Now surly this is a violation of the 1st Amendment, no?

Nukeman
08-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Indeed there is. The Church of $cientology recieves tax free status in the USA. All that the IRS have said on the issue is that it is at their discression who recieves tax free status, and that the meetings between the IRS and the Co$ were carried out in private, and may not be the subject of a judicial review.

Now surly this is a violation of the 1st Amendment, no?
Unfortunately that cult has a "religious following". they have an established doctrine and by the definition put forth by our gov't they are a "religion". Do I agree with it? NO! Should their tax exempt status be withdrawn? NO! becasue once you start down that road it is VERY haard to stop!!!

Noir
08-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately that cult has a "religious following". they have an established doctrine and by the definition put forth by our gov't they are a "religion". Do I agree with it? NO! Should their tax exempt status be withdrawn? NO! becasue once you start down that road it is VERY haard to stop!!!

But no other religion gets this specail treatment, it is only $cientology. Either all should have tax exempt status or none should, and since $cientology is the on exception to the rule surly it's special status should be removed.

crin63
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
To maintain their tax exempt status they have to abide by the rules and regulations that apply to them. The only job the IRS has is to see if they are violating those rules and regs, if there is something that seems wrong or they become to political. Like I said though, I believe the IRS should not exist in its present form. They should only be receivers and book keepers of taxes collected indirectly from the people.

Churches brought down the government on themselves by gifting salaries to people so they wouldn't have to pay taxes on the money.

We run a tight ship at my church, we have an IRS agent who is our treasurer, a very fiscally conservative business manager who graduated from Horton and was CFO for Dow-Corning as well as others who make sure we stay well within compliance with our not for profit status.

Mr. P
08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
But no other religion gets this specail treatment, it is only $cientology. Either all should have tax exempt status or none should, and since $cientology is the on exception to the rule surly it's special status should be removed.

What makes you think "all" religions aren't exempt?

crin63
08-25-2009, 10:14 AM

Any church can file for a 501c3 not for profit status and be tax exempt. Scientology is not special in that regard. They are a bunch of crazy loons though, I did some construction work in their Hollywood building and got to see them 1st hand.

5stringJeff
08-29-2009, 08:15 PM
IMO, no religious organization should be taxed.

08-29-2009, 09:25 PM
no religious organization should be taxed period. but then neither should alot of non religious groups.