PDA

View Full Version : Cheney, Republicans Blast Interrogation Probe

red states rule
08-25-2009, 07:36 AM
I was wondering when someoen would speak up over the Obama administration using this "probe of torture" to appease their kook base

So now telling a terrorist his wife and family will be killed is torture?

Placing a drill on a table next to him is torture?

How the hell will the Obama people question these terrorists? Say "Pretty please?"

I believe in this case, our people did nothing worng, and Obama is doing this to keep the far left loons in his camp as his poll numbers crash thru the floor

Cheney, Republicans Blast Interrogation Probe

WASHINGTON -- Top Republican senators said on Monday they were troubled by Attorney General Eric Holder's decision to begin a new criminal probe of past interrogation tactics used by the CIA during President George W. Bush's war on terror, and expressed concern it could hamper U.S. intelligence efforts.

A newly declassified version of a CIA report revealed Monday that CIA interrogators once allegedly threatened to kill the Sept. 11 attack mastermind's children and suggested another would be forced to watch his mother sexually assaulted.

The fresh crop of damaging revelations only intensified the long-running political fight about the secret interrogation program -- whether it protected the United States then, and whether spilling its secrets now will weaken the nation's future security.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney refuted Holder's decision, saying it "serves as a reminder, if any were needed, of why so many Americans have doubts about this administration's ability to be responsible for our nation's security."

Cheney told The Weekly Standard, a conservative journal, "The activities of the CIA in carrying out the policies of the Bush Administration were directly responsible for defeating all efforts by Al Qaeda to launch further mass casualty attacks against the United States. The people involved deserve our gratitude. They do not deserve to be the targets of political investigations or prosecutions."

Holder said Monday he had chosen a veteran prosecutor, John Durham, to open a preliminary investigation to determine whether any CIA officers or contractors should face criminal charges for crossing the line on rough but permissible tactics. Durham already is investigating the destruction of CIA interrogation videos.

At the same time, President Barack Obama ordered changes in future interrogations, bringing in other agencies besides the CIA under the direction of the FBI and to be supervised by his own national security adviser. The administration pledged that questioning would be controlled by the Army Field Manual, with strict rules, and said the White House would keep its hands off the professional investigators doing the work.

Despite the announcement of the criminal probe, White House aides declared anew that Obama "wants to look forward, not back" at Bush-era tactics.

White House officials said they plan to continue the controversial practice of rendition of suspects to foreign countries, though they said that in future cases there would be greater safeguards to ensure such suspects are not tortured.

Monday's five-year-old report by the CIA's inspector general, newly declassified and released under a federal court's orders, described severe tactics used by interrogators on terror suspects after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Seeking information about possible further attacks, interrogators threatened one detainee with a gun and a power drill, choked another and tried to frighten still another with a mock execution of another prisoner

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/25/cheney-republicans-blast-interrogation-probe/

red states rule
08-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Now we know these interrogations did stop attacks - just as VP Cheney said they did

So why in the hell does Obama want to stop them, and try to make nice to the terrorists?

CIA Releases Documents Fmr. Vice President Cheney Requested Be Made Public

Now Public: Memos That Cheney Says Demonstrate Harsh Interrogation Tactics Worked to Thwart Terrorism

The CIA released the documents today that former Vice President Dick Cheney requested earlier this year in an attempt to prove his assertion that using enhanced interrogation techniques on terror detainees saved U.S. lives.

The documents back up the Bush administration's claims that intelligence gleaned from captured terror suspects had thwarted terrorist attacks, but the visible portions of the heavily redacted reports do not indicate whether such information was obtained as a result of controversial interrogation techniques, such as waterboarding.

Cheney's initial request in the spring that the documents be declassified was rejected by the CIA. Lawmakers derided his claims that the harsh interrogation techniques were necessary. Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., the chair of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a May 27 speech that "those classified documents say nothing about numbers of lives saved, nor do the documents connect acquisition of valuable intelligence to the use of abusive techniques."

The Department of Justice is compiling a list of documents, to release later this evening, related to a 2004 CIA Inspector General report on enhanced interrogation techniques that was released today. The two documents that Cheney requested will be part of that release, but were made public early by the CIA.

One of the CIA documents, entitled "Detainee Reporting Pivotal for the War Against al-Qaeda," and written June 3, 2005, says "detainee reporting has become a crucial pillar of U.S. counterterrorism efforts, aiding intelligence and law enforcement operations to capture additional terrorists, helping to thwart terrorist plots, and advancing our analysis of the al-Qaeda target."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=8403694

stephanie
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
these people are a danger to us and our country...we better pray we don't have another 9/11...we need to pray for our troops overseas also..

this administration makes me sick

red states rule
08-25-2009, 08:11 AM
these people are a danger to us and our country...we better pray we don't have another 9/11...we need to pray for our troops overseas also..

This is border line treason what they are doing to the securty of this nation, our troops, and the folks who get this info from terrorists that have SAVED LIVES

If we do have another 9-11, the left will NOT blame the terrorists, Obama, or Holder

They WILL blame Bush however

Obama will issue statement where he will say "these are not the Muslims I knew"

Joyful HoneyBee
08-25-2009, 10:35 PM
The worst part of all this is that while they are setting up recriminations against the hardworking agents who were doing their jobs, they are also not fessing up about the true agenda of Radical Islamics around the world. I am not talking about average people who practice Islamic faith, but the radicals that make up Al-Queda, Taliban, Hammas and so forth....

American's just really don't know the truth, but the truth is out there....

http://www.thirdjihad.com

http://www.obsessionthemovie.com

SassyLady
08-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Although this is a very serious thing the administration is doing, in my opinion, the timing of it is set to distract the public from the Town Hall meetings and Obama's failing popularity. It's a way to dilute the media coverage.....and it part of the "overwhelm" tactic of community organizers. Kept people unbalanced and end rush them to get something, anything, passed.

As long as the administration keeps pounding us with crisis after crisis, they think they will wear us down and our will to weather the storm will erode and they will get their way.

Personally, I can't get over the look of absolute astonishment and disbelief on their faces when someone stands up and calls them "bald faced liars" who are out to screw everyone. I want to keep seeing that look of complete surprise.....sort of like the surprise you see on someone face when a "supposedly tame" animal reverts back to their nature and tries to kill them. What? How can that be....we've been spoon feeding it for so long, how can it now bite me?!!!

red states rule
08-26-2009, 06:46 AM
I'm glad that squirting water down the nose of terrorists, that would cut my head off, saved lives

Meanwhile, Obama is releasing terrorists back into the war zone that were caught throwing grenades at the men dying to secure our freedom.

I guess Obama thinks a sunny day on the White House lawn, a six-pack of Bud Light and a "skilled interrogator" might do the job better

red states rule
08-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Are people finally starting to wake and are seeing the real Obama?

75% Worried That Gitmo Closing Will Set Dangerous Terrorists Free

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Seventy-five percent (75%) of U.S. voters are at least somewhat concerned that dangerous terrorists will be set free if the Guantanamo prison camp is closed and some prisoners are transferred to other countries. Fifty-six percent (56%) are very concerned.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that just 24% are not concerned about the potential danger.

Support for the president’ s plan to close the prison camp for suspected terrorists at the Guantanamo Naval Base in Cuba continues to erode. It’s been steadily dropping since Obama announced the camp closure just after taking office in January. Only 32% of voters now favor closing the prison camp, down six points from May and down 12 points since the President announced his decision in January.

Fifty-five percent (55%) now oppose closing the prison, with 13% not sure. In January, just after the president announced his decision, just 42% were opposed

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/august_2009/75_worried_that_gitmo_closing_will_set_dangerous_t errorists_free

theHawk
08-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Isn't it amazing how Obama can be so forgiving of people's past "mistakes", like William Ayers, Rev Wright, and Von Jones' radical pasts. Yet when it comes to former Republicans and other patriots in the CIA, throw the book at them!!! (even if no crime was actually commited).

Kathianne
08-26-2009, 05:15 PM
Even the NY Times admits that crucial information was gained, that resulted in preventing attacks and saving lives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/us/politics/25detain.html?bl&ex=1251432000&en=7d1bba04578a733a&ei=5087%0A

Gaffer
08-26-2009, 06:37 PM
So does this mean when the conservatives regain control of the white house and congress the advisors to the dark lord will all be prosecuted. Nothing like setting precedence.

Joyful HoneyBee
08-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe I have forgotten some of what I learned in school, but I was under the impression that revealing top secret documents pertaining to national security matters was considered an act of treason.
Treason defined:
1. the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
2. a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
3. the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.

I downloaded a copy of the file from the site Kathianne posted and there are numerous instances where it mentions that those who acted contrary to standard procedure were disciplined. In fact, the document looks exactly like a summary of an investigation that has already been conducted and it highlights action that has already been taken. I am very confused....the public needs to know this now because....why?

I also wonder who is garnering the terrorists and smacking them on the back of the hand with the big wooden rulers for all the beheadings and the torture they have doled out. Oh wait....that's right....we are talking about people who beat their women in public.

red states rule
08-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Maybe I have forgotten some of what I learned in school, but I was under the impression that revealing top secret documents pertaining to national security matters was considered an act of treason.
Treason defined:
1. the offense of acting to overthrow one's government or to harm or kill its sovereign.
2. a violation of allegiance to one's sovereign or to one's state.
3. the betrayal of a trust or confidence; breach of faith; treachery.

I downloaded a copy of the file from the site Kathianne posted and there are numerous instances where it mentions that those who acted contrary to standard procedure were disciplined. In fact, the document looks exactly like a summary of an investigation that has already been conducted and it highlights action that has already been taken. I am very confused....the public needs to know this now because....why?

I also wonder who is garnering the terrorists and smacking them on the back of the hand with the big wooden rulers for all the beheadings and the torture they have doled out. Oh wait....that's right....we are talking about people who beat their women in public.

Libs only want to protect the rights of liberals. When it comes to free speech, they only want to protect their right to liberal speech

Even when it means releasing and publishing classified information in the liberla media that will help our enemies

When it comes to other rights, like the 2nd Amendment - well there needs to be limits set by government

When it comes to open expression of Religion - well there must be limits as to not to "offend" people

actsnoblemartin
08-26-2009, 10:21 PM
common steph, tell us how you really feel

:lol:

red states rule
08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
common steph, tell us how you really feel

:lol:

I would like to know where the our resident anti war, Bush/Cheney libs are. So far they have ignored this thread that made them look even more foolish then we knew they were

bullypulpit
08-30-2009, 07:16 AM
I think this says it about as well as anything...

<blockquote>If there was a single, demonstrable instance of a correlation between threatening to power drill the nutsack of Abu al-Fuckingbadguywithamoustache and the prevention of a terrorist attack, that shit would be a new book in the right-wing Bible. It'd be the trump card for every conservative bag of fuck on every news show, in every Bush administration self-justification memoir; it'd be tattooed on John Woo's sneering lip and on Alberto Gonzales's dick. Instead, all we get is the assertion that torture worked by the people whose asses' freedom depends on it. <a href=http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/>The Rude Pundit</a></blockquote>

We have nothing beyond the word of those who could face war crimes trials that torture worked. And those huge redacted sections of the report...? What's in there? Until we see it all, it seems to be little more than using the veil of national security to cover up the evidence of crimes...Can you say "obstruction of justice"? I knew you could.

red states rule
08-30-2009, 07:23 AM
I think this says it about as well as anything...

<blockquote>If there was a single, demonstrable instance of a correlation between threatening to power drill the nutsack of Abu al-Fuckingbadguywithamoustache and the prevention of a terrorist attack, that shit would be a new book in the right-wing Bible. It'd be the trump card for every conservative bag of fuck on every news show, in every Bush administration self-justification memoir; it'd be tattooed on John Woo's sneering lip and on Alberto Gonzales's dick. Instead, all we get is the assertion that torture worked by the people whose asses' freedom depends on it. <a href=http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/>The Rude Pundit</a></blockquote>

We have nothing beyond the word of those who could face war crimes trials that torture worked. And those huge redacted sections of the report...? What's in there? Until we see it all, it seems to be little more than using the veil of national security to cover up the evidence of crimes...Can you say "obstruction of justice"? I knew you could.

Os the NY Times good enough for you BP?

snip

Although large portions of the 109-page report are blacked out, it gives new details about a variety of abuses inside the C.I.A.’s overseas prisons, including suggestions about sexually assaulting members of a detainee’s family, staging mock executions, intimidation with a handgun and power drill, and blowing cigar and cigarette smoke into prisoners’ faces to make them vomit.

The report found that the interrogations obtained critical information to identify terrorists and stop potential plots and said some imprisoned terrorists provided more information after being exposed to brutal treatment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/us/politics/25detain.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1251432000&en=7d1bba04578a733a&ei=5087%0A

Gaffer
08-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Although large portions of the 109-page report are blacked out, it gives new details about a variety of abuses inside the C.I.A.’s overseas prisons, including suggestions about sexually assaulting members of a detainee’s family, staging mock executions, intimidation with a handgun and power drill, and blowing cigar and cigarette smoke into prisoners’ faces to make them vomit.

There's not a thing there about torturing anyone. It's all psychological intimidation. Nothing was actually done to the prisoners or anyone else. Suggestions and mock executions are not torture. Setting guns and drills out for the prisoner to see are not torture. Smoke in the face, loud music, cold or hot rooms are not torture.

These prisoners were not the average mo walking down the street and grabbed by our military or CIA. They were captured taking part in operations against our troops. They have no uniform or country insignia. They could technically be tried and executed immediately. Feeling sorry for them or defending them in any way is just plain stupid.

Joyful HoneyBee
08-30-2009, 01:12 PM
What's more, I would like to know how average people perceive that this compares with the treatment of our soldiers and American civilians in the hands of these extremists.

I would like to know how this administration compares placing a drill on a table for intimidation, or blowing smoke, or even water boarding with the incidents of beheaded bodies of American's being dragged through the streets of Baghdad.

How do they justify protecting the interests of people who have been captured by our military plotting to wage war against American's on American soil. These people are not political prisoners or common criminals. They are military prisoners, taken into custody as part of a military operation, held and questioned for the purpose of furthering military interest.

So, how does our judicial systems even weigh into the equation in the first place? This is not a judicial matter, it is a military / homeland security / national security matter that has nothing to do with the US DOJ.

SassyLady
09-02-2009, 12:57 AM
What's more, I would like to know how average people perceive that this compares with the treatment of our soldiers and American civilians in the hands of these extremists.

I would like to know how this administration compares placing a drill on a table for intimidation, or blowing smoke, or even water boarding with the incidents of beheaded bodies of American's being dragged through the streets of Baghdad.

How do they justify protecting the interests of people who have been captured by our military plotting to wage war against American's on American soil. These people are not political prisoners or common criminals. They are military prisoners, taken into custody as part of a military operation, held and questioned for the purpose of furthering military interest.

So, how does our judicial systems even weigh into the equation in the first place? This is not a judicial matter, it is a military / homeland security / national security matter that has nothing to do with the US DOJ.

Obama and his cronies want a "one world order" and Obama wants to be the supreme leader of this OWO. One of the crucial elements in creating this OWO is to destroy America from within and get the citizens to turn on each other so he can deploy his national civilian security force.

(“We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.”)

With this organization he will convince the rest of the world that he and Soros and Co. will bring world peace (but capitalism must be destroyed first). If everyone depends on the government to take care of them, who oppose it.

Sorry - it's hard for me to put this in any type of sensible context because it is just an intuitive feeling I have about the man.

Anyone else feel he's not just gunning for a take over of the US, but is laying the foundation for a OWO?

red states rule
09-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Foreign terrorists are not protected by the US constitution.

There were no violations.

When subjecting three terrorists to these tactics leads to saving innocent lives, I am all for it.

Let's say the terrorist attacked they foiled was in your local shopping mall, where your children and/or parents would have been, would you really cared (or asked) if some terrorists lost sleep in order to extract the information and stop the attack from occurring?

Gaffer
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Obama and his cronies want a "one world order" and Obama wants to be the supreme leader of this OWO. One of the crucial elements in creating this OWO is to destroy America from within and get the citizens to turn on each other so he can deploy his national civilian security force.

(“We cannot continue to rely on our military in order to achieve the national security objectives we’ve set. We’ve got to have a civilian national security force that’s just as powerful, just as strong, just as well-funded.”)

With this organization he will convince the rest of the world that he and Soros and Co. will bring world peace (but capitalism must be destroyed first). If everyone depends on the government to take care of them, who oppose it.

Sorry - it's hard for me to put this in any type of sensible context because it is just an intuitive feeling I have about the man.

Anyone else feel he's not just gunning for a take over of the US, but is laying the foundation for a OWO?

I know that gut feeling thing really well. And I agree there seems to be something going on that the rest of us aren't able to see. And I suspect a lot of the civilian security forces are not going to be citizens of this country.

red states rule
09-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Os the NY Times good enough for you BP?

snip

The report found that the interrogations obtained critical information to identify terrorists and stop potential plots and said some imprisoned terrorists provided more information after being exposed to brutal treatment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/us/politics/25detain.html?_r=1&bl&ex=1251432000&en=7d1bba04578a733a&ei=5087%0A

***crickets chirping***

Well BP, looks like you are still a drive by poster who runs away when the facts get to be way to much for you

bullypulpit
09-08-2009, 04:30 AM

No dearie...You and your fellow travelers are the real danger. You'd sell the freedoms this country was built on, and the sacrifices of the men and women who fought and died to protect them over the last two centuries, for a measure of security.

red states rule
09-08-2009, 05:07 AM
No dearie...You and your fellow travelers are the real danger. You'd sell the freedoms this country was built on, and the sacrifices of the men and women who fought and died to protect them over the last two centuries, for a measure of security.

Well at least yoiu will get "free" Obamacare BP

Still no comment on the NY Times publishing lives were saved and attacks prevented. Or is that the REAL reason you are now "sick"? VP Cheney was indeed right?

red states rule
09-15-2009, 07:33 AM
The Obama administration chooses sides

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/155494.jpg