PDA

View Full Version : Feedback for new header design

jimnyc
08-25-2009, 10:52 AM
http://i25.tinypic.com/qqrepl.jpg

I have a friend who is a Flash expert. This is the general layout that I have in mind. The blue background will make the "images" transparent with the theme of the site. When the site first loads, the 2 black images will appear first and be alone for a few seconds. I'm thinking these images maybe 9/11 related. Then the 2 yellow images will load overlapping the first 2. I'm thinking this will be related to the responses to the actions of 9/11, maybe military related. Then the last 2, red images, will load. I was thinking this would be the political aspect, maybe like the US Flag, the bill of rights or something along those lines.

After the 6 images load, then the logo will load (not the font I have above) over all of the images. The lettering is the hardest part as my friend is making each letter individually as 3d objects in flash. I'm hoping to have him load the site name and have the background pictures fade a bit to have the name stand out.

Thoughts, suggestions, critique, additions, comments?

emmett
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM

I have a friend who is a Flash expert. This is the general layout that I have in mind. The blue background will make the "images" transparent with the theme of the site. When the site first loads, the 2 black images will appear first and be alone for a few seconds. I'm thinking these images maybe 9/11 related. Then the 2 yellow images will load overlapping the first 2. I'm thinking this will be related to the responses to the actions of 9/11, maybe military related. Then the last 2, red images, will load. I was thinking this would be the political aspect, maybe like the US Flag, the bill of rights or something along those lines.

After the 6 images load, then the logo will load (not the font I have above) over all of the images. The lettering is the hardest part as my friend is making each letter individually as 3d objects in flash. I'm hoping to have him load the site name and have the background pictures fade a bit to have the name stand out.

Sounds pretty cool.

Personally I like the background of the picture in our header. Having said that however it is very military oriented and sends a "conservative" psych message to those who see it, in my opinion. Sort of the blue room / pink room thing there.

I would think a way to incorporate a more unilateral background picture might be worth considering. Now understand I don;t know what else we could use, I LOVE the American flag being in there and the picture of the soldier has always been a signature of the site but the rest of the background pictures seem to lend a personna of our site being a "military" site.

My opinion would be to introduce some other pictures that allow our pictures in the background to evolve a bit to something with more elasticity. A picture of a professional woman would be nice, maybe a nurse or buisness person in a nice pant suit (dress would make it seem like we were attempting to impregnate them while barefooted in kitchen), maybe some faded pictures of common professionals. A hardhatted worker for instance, a black person with a suit on or maybe driving a truck. Something that would tend to lend diversity to our broadcasted message and attract a more liberal average member to stimulate more debate.

I think you no doubt get what my thoughts are. I would, like many of us like to attract more liberals and not the likes of some of the hatemongers who have represented the liberal side recently. I would also like to see some of our more conservative members behave a wee bit better when that is acheived so we can realize a true debate board.

Changing the header is a good idea right now. Let's just make sure this "change" is the type we are comfortable with and makes the board more attractive.

Just my opinion.....and remember...I loved and I mean absolutely loved the old banner.

Kathianne
08-25-2009, 11:45 AM

It sounds great, of course I'm one of those that must see it first. Bad at making mental images.

Gaffer
08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Will this slow down the loading of the site? Similar sites I'e been to with flash loading takes time to load the whole site.

Mr. P
08-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Kill the 911 part and address DEBATE issues of the country instead. That's my 2 cents but then I don't think a change is needed in the banner either. I'm just a party pooper.

Little-Acorn
08-25-2009, 12:52 PM
What broke the present banner?

jimnyc
08-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Sounds pretty cool.

Personally I like the background of the picture in our header. Having said that however it is very military oriented and sends a "conservative" psych message to those who see it, in my opinion. Sort of the blue room / pink room thing there.

I would think a way to incorporate a more unilateral background picture might be worth considering. Now understand I don;t know what else we could use, I LOVE the American flag being in there and the picture of the soldier has always been a signature of the site but the rest of the background pictures seem to lend a personna of our site being a "military" site.

My opinion would be to introduce some other pictures that allow our pictures in the background to evolve a bit to something with more elasticity. A picture of a professional woman would be nice, maybe a nurse or buisness person in a nice pant suit (dress would make it seem like we were attempting to impregnate them while barefooted in kitchen), maybe some faded pictures of common professionals. A hardhatted worker for instance, a black person with a suit on or maybe driving a truck. Something that would tend to lend diversity to our broadcasted message and attract a more liberal average member to stimulate more debate.

I think you no doubt get what my thoughts are. I would, like many of us like to attract more liberals and not the likes of some of the hatemongers who have represented the liberal side recently. I would also like to see some of our more conservative members behave a wee bit better when that is acheived so we can realize a true debate board.

Changing the header is a good idea right now. Let's just make sure this "change" is the type we are comfortable with and makes the board more attractive.

Just my opinion.....and remember...I loved and I mean absolutely loved the old banner.

Excellent feedback and I will let my buddy read this. He is making it so that the pictures will be interchangeable, so altering the specific images will be quite easy. I'd love to cover every topic via a banner but unfortunately there's only so much space, but your ideas are very good.

It sounds great, of course I'm one of those that must see it first. Bad at making mental images.

Depending on feedback, revisions would start going up soon for additional feedback.

Will this slow down the loading of the site? Similar sites I'e been to with flash loading takes time to load the whole site.

This is a concern of mine as well that my buddy addressed to me. He will develop it so that it only loads once per session (any activity within the banner), and it will also load from your cache on future visits. The entire load size will be less than 150k .swf file and your machine will execute the script locally... It should load as about as fast as the current image.

Kill the 911 part and address DEBATE issues of the country instead. That's my 2 cents but then I don't think a change is needed in the banner either. I'm just a party pooper.

Sounds a bit like Emmett's feedback where there is less military/9/11 stuff and more about the countries debatable issues.

What broke the present banner?

To address you, and others, I am not married to the idea of changing things. I just thought maybe the community would prefer a more modern design, or something that would help entice guests to register. I'm kind of sentimental at times and like to keep what got us here, but sometimes you don't know if change will be for the better unless you try. But I won't force anything on the community without it's approval.

If enough regulars think we should remain the way we are, I will be more than happy to scrap the project.

It's YOUR board! :beer:

Nukeman
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Jim,

You have to remember ITS YOUR BOARD if yo like something than go for it!! I personal think if you want to try some new things than by all means do so. If after a while some don't like it than ask for feedback. Most folks need to use a thing before they can adequately evaluate something!!!:beer:

emmett
08-26-2009, 06:33 PM
A small scroll in background, (the Constitution) would be nice. Frankly imperative if it were my design.

Keep the soldier (1). Scratch the rest of the military stuff. (unless you wanted to show a turbinetop with his mouth full of water being dumped in by Dick Cheney)

Two or three professional looking types, one of them a woman, one of them black, stick the white guy in the corner (sort of like real life),

On the other side from the Cons, put the Bible, we debate that here.

Also ....don't forget A HANDGUN.

The flash stuff (???????)

Joyful HoneyBee
08-26-2009, 06:39 PM
I would like to see a banner that says "If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them".

jimnyc
08-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Jim,

You have to remember ITS YOUR BOARD if yo like something than go for it!! I personal think if you want to try some new things than by all means do so. If after a while some don't like it than ask for feedback. Most folks need to use a thing before they can adequately evaluate something!!!:beer:

I'd much rather it's out in the open this way and discussed though. I hate websites I go to and then one day it's been completely changed - and to lesser quality. Ya'll use the board more than I do and should certainly have some input as to what we do to muck things up going forward!

A small scroll in background, (the Constitution) would be nice. Frankly imperative if it were my design.

Keep the soldier (1). Scratch the rest of the military stuff. (unless you wanted to show a turbinetop with his mouth full of water being dumped in by Dick Cheney)

Two or three professional looking types, one of them a woman, one of them black, stick the white guy in the corner (sort of like real life),

On the other side from the Cons, put the Bible, we debate that here.

Also ....don't forget A HANDGUN.

The flash stuff (???????)

All good ideas and the photos shouldn't be an issue finding and getting rights to. Flash is what allows any animation. The pictures loading separately, the logo fading in on top of them while they fade out, or anything else within the header will all lie within the flash file. When coded/designed properly, it should load even quicker than the plain image up there now. Flash gives you the benefit of quality imaging and allowing for animation. I was going to have him put a picture of Hillary on the header, with a bullseye over her, and you would be able to shoot her with sound and all. While he could do it, I think it's best to leave it without too much activity. Some pictures to get a patriotic feel while also giving an idea as to who is here and what we debate. And of course, hopefully, a better way of showing "DebatePolicy.com"

I would like to see a banner that says "If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them".

Like I stated in an earlier post, the images within the flash header will be swappable and I can change them at a moments notice. Every now and again I could float in a few doozies and see if anyone notices! LOL

Psychoblues
08-26-2009, 09:19 PM
I posted this a little earlier, or something like it, it disappeared, fear I can only assume, but I don't mind posting it again.

You owe me a keyboard, emmie!!!!!!!!! You are not very sensitive to patronization and condescension, are you? If jimnyc accepts your recommendations then I accept that he is a bigger fool than I ever imagined him to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One big question, cowgirl. What do you mean by your word "unilateral" in this conversation?

Sounds pretty cool.

I agree with you, emmie. The original banner is perfect! If any change would be made I would suggest that an image of the President Of The United States Of America would somehow be mixed into the mixture of flags, soldiers and other patriotic symbols.

:beer::cheers2::beer:

Psychoblues

PostmodernProphet
08-27-2009, 04:09 AM
I think it's best to leave it without too much activity.

less is definitely more.....don't make it too busy....and I definitely don't want to watch it load every time I hit the New Topics button, I do that several times a day....

jimnyc
08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
less is definitely more.....don't make it too busy....and I definitely don't want to watch it load every time I hit the New Topics button, I do that several times a day....

According to my friend, he will make it session based. You will see any "animation" just once upon visiting the site, then it won't load again for a specified amount of time. You definitely don't want the animation reloading every time someone hits a new page.

jimnyc
08-27-2009, 09:35 AM
I agree with you, emmie. The original banner is perfect! If any change would be made I would suggest that an image of the President Of The United States Of America would somehow be mixed into the mixture of flags, soldiers and other patriotic symbols.

I have no issue with that and will probably incorporate it somehow. He may not be MY choice, but for better or worse, he is OUR President of the US.

jimnyc
08-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Ok, we have a rough draft ready to at least get some more feedback. This is just a "generic" header that has images fading in to give you an idea of the functionality. The images are now military related, but it's as easy as uploading 6 new images with the same name and they automatically adapt and resize. The background color will ultimately be the same as the site. The hard part, the 3D lettering "DebatePolicy.com" will then go across all 6 pictures. I know it's hard to get feedback on an unfinished project, but it's much easier to make requested changes now rather than when it is done.

Also, if enough people say leave well enough alone and scrap the idea of changing, I will do so. This is just a work in progress that a buddy and I have been working on. Should have been a few hours for this test but neither of us has been very reliable as of late!

Anyway, here's an EXAMPLE of what I'm aiming for:

http://www.westchestertechnical.com/dp_banner/banner.html

CSM
08-31-2009, 06:44 AM
Ok, we have a rough draft ready to at least get some more feedback. This is just a "generic" header that has images fading in to give you an idea of the functionality. The images are now military related, but it's as easy as uploading 6 new images with the same name and they automatically adapt and resize. The background color will ultimately be the same as the site. The hard part, the 3D lettering "DebatePolicy.com" will then go across all 6 pictures. I know it's hard to get feedback on an unfinished project, but it's much easier to make requested changes now rather than when it is done.

Also, if enough people say leave well enough alone and scrap the idea of changing, I will do so. This is just a work in progress that a buddy and I have been working on. Should have been a few hours for this test but neither of us has been very reliable as of late!

Anyway, here's an EXAMPLE of what I'm aiming for:

http://www.westchestertechnical.com/dp_banner/banner.html

I like the sample site. My only concern is how long will it take to get logged into the site with that running.

Gaffer
08-31-2009, 10:17 AM
The pictures came up fine. Don't know if there was more to come as it was still transferring a minute later and nothing more appeared. Will the rest of the page load before that part finishes? I often don't wait for the page to fully load before clicking on new posts.

Ewww you had the Declaration and the dark lord together. I know it's just a sample, but his picture only goes with a hammer and sickle.

Mr. P
08-31-2009, 10:23 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

jimnyc
09-01-2009, 08:25 AM
I like the sample site. My only concern is how long will it take to get logged into the site with that running.

It shouldn't affect logging in at all. The fading of the pictures won't always be animated as a cookie will ultimately be set keeping it from doing so. But even with, the Flash is designed in a manner to be fluid and not interrupt the loading of the site.

The pictures came up fine. Don't know if there was more to come as it was still transferring a minute later and nothing more appeared. Will the rest of the page load before that part finishes? I often don't wait for the page to fully load before clicking on new posts.

Ewww you had the Declaration and the dark lord together. I know it's just a sample, but his picture only goes with a hammer and sickle.

Just the pictures at the moment as the "logo" is still being designed. The first time loading the pictures, because of the fade, will be about 3-5 seconds (but shouldn't slow down loading of anything else). But once it does the animation it will then appear static for the rest of your time at the site for the day. But, you can also hover your mouse over any picture out of the set and it will highlight that picture and move it to the forefront.

As for the images themselves, I was trying various combinations to see what would look best together. I thought the latest went in 3 stages:

1- Honoring the stars and stripes
2- honoring the soldiers
3- present day president and why we honor our flag and soldiers, what they represent and our protect. Like him or not, he is the face of our country at present.

But this is subject to change before the new header is placed, and is subject to change even after that!

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I assume that's one vote for "scratch the project"? :poke:

KitchenKitten99
09-01-2009, 04:32 PM
i like the one we have now just fine, but the sample one seems nice... a more finished project would be better to base my judgement on though.

SassyLady
09-02-2009, 12:39 AM
I like the idea, but will have to say that if I have to look at Obama, I probably won't be visiting as much. We managed to have a header for all these years without a picture of the current president, why start now. If you must have a picture of a president, put up one of the pictures on Mt. Rushmore, not one that has so much current controvery surrounding them.

jimnyc
09-02-2009, 09:42 AM
i like the one we have now just fine, but the sample one seems nice... a more finished project would be better to base my judgement on though.

I like the idea, but will have to say that if I have to look at Obama, I probably won't be visiting as much. We managed to have a header for all these years without a picture of the current president, why start now. If you must have a picture of a president, put up one of the pictures on Mt. Rushmore, not one that has so much current controvery surrounding them.

We 86'd the 3d idea and used regular font for the logo. I'm not thrilled with it and will ask Eddie to change it. I think a more solid font will show up better than the illuminated see through. The pictures load, then the site names load - and it has a shadow pass through it with a sparkle at the end.

Again, it seems like it would put a damper on load times, but it's not. The pictures themselves will only load once where they will then be in your cache. The SWF file itself is only 14k, will get downloaded to your machine and execute on the PC side to perform the shockwave. The only negative to this way is that you would need to delete cache in order to see any changes that may be made in the future (new pictures).

I swapped out the photo of Obama and replaced with Mt. Rushmore photo.

If anyone would like to suggest an order for pictures, or different pictures, tell me now!

SassyLady
09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Jimnyc! Thanks for listening and considering our thoughts and ideas. You are an awesome host!

jimnyc
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Ok, I have the new design up as a trial. I want feedback on slowdowns and any irregularities with the load process. Hopefully, you'll see everything only do the fade process once, but on subsequent pages it will appear as one static image.

Also, with the new "blood red" color in there, would it be wise to change up the board frames from the bluer font to something reddish to go along with the logo? You guys have to look at this all the time, tell me what you want while you can!

Mr. P
09-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Ok, I have the new design up as a trial. I want feedback on slowdowns and any irregularities with the load process. Hopefully, you'll see everything only do the fade process once, but on subsequent pages it will appear as one static image.

Also, with the new "blood red" color in there, would it be wise to change up the board frames from the bluer font to something reddish to go along with the logo? You guys have to look at this all the time, tell me what you want while you can!

Loads fast..the "Debatepoliicy.com" part sux! Hard to read and plain jane...

crin63
09-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I like it. It has a nice clean look to it, it loads fast, no slow downs here.

PostmodernProphet
09-03-2009, 04:59 AM
no delays here...my only thought is that when the text fades to black it's a bit dark to read against Mt Rushmore

Monkeybone
09-03-2009, 06:26 AM
looks fine to me:thumb:

Monkeybone
09-03-2009, 06:30 AM
though is does make the top of the page feel empty when i scroll back up

jimnyc
09-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I have 2 technical errors I am working on.

1 - The animation wasn't loading properly, and technically still isn't. It's supposed to load the 6 images and then have the site name rise from the line. This wasn't happening at all. I changed the parameters and now it loads - but it loads every time you click a link (not a slowdown load though). I will have this fixed to load only once, but left it animated now so that members can see what it's really supposed to do.

2 - In Firefox and Chrome, all is ok. In Internet Explorer, the display appears to take more space than necessary at the top of the board leaving a ton of blank space. There is supposed to be minimal space from where the bottom of the header ends and the navigation bar for vBulletin starts. I will have this fixed as well.

*** Any ideas for changing any other colors within the board to match any aspect of the new header? ***

chesswarsnow
09-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. I liked the old one, just sayin.
2. The new one doesn't fit in size or readablity, to much flash, simple works better to me.
3. The old one with a reflective pool of water beneath it, would be nicer, making it a some what oval shape all in all.
4. Could even be made inside a oval, like a white border, with shadow, to give it a 3D effect, now that would be classy.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

jimnyc
09-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I believe I fixed the issue with the appearance in IE. For me, the dimensions now load properly in every tested browser.

The only issue now is how often the animation loads. Currently it is set to continually load with every new page. I am either going to have him set it to load every so many hours, or randomly (like every 25 page loads or similar).

Apparently I wasn't supposed to load it yet as he had some debugging left to do, but I was anxious to get it live and move forward. There still might be some minor changes before it's complete. Also, don't forget, I can change images on the fly to reflect current news or moods!

Monkeybone
09-03-2009, 10:18 AM
spacing is fine for me. and yah it does reload every time, but it doesn't slow down my computer and I have the red-headed bi-racial step child of the office comptuers one.

Mr. P
09-03-2009, 11:05 AM
It was loading in the center, Donno what ya did but it now loads all the way on the left side of my screen...Is this a hint? :poke:

Gaffer
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Loads on the left for me too.

Noir
09-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Me cants see it, but that's cus I only go on via my phone, and as it can't play flash =/
but it sounds perdy cool ta me.

jimnyc
09-03-2009, 01:21 PM
It was loading in the center, Donno what ya did but it now loads all the way on the left side of my screen...Is this a hint? :poke:

Loads on the left for me too.

Have either of you tried deleting internet cache? What browsers are you using? Possibly take a screenshot of what you see so I can diagnose?

Mr. P
09-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Firefox..here.

Cleared Cache..no worky.

Monkeybone
09-03-2009, 02:00 PM
do you have your screen set so that it is bigger for your old eyes Mr.P?

jimnyc
09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Firefox..here.

Cleared Cache..no worky.

If the alignment is all the way to the left, that is odd. With different resolutions, the size might change, but the alignment should remain the same. I'm using Firefox as well and all is cool.

Can you try opening it in IE and tell me what you see? At least that will tell us if it's a browser issue or something else.

Mr. P
09-03-2009, 02:42 PM
do you have your screen set so that it is bigger for your old eyes Mr.P?

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: NO!

If the alignment is all the way to the left, that is odd. With different resolutions, the size might change, but the alignment should remain the same. I'm using Firefox as well and all is cool.

Can you try opening it in IE and tell me what you see? At least that will tell us if it's a browser issue or something else.

Comes up center in IE, Jim.
It was center in fox before my 12:05 post this morning.

code_master
09-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Tested in EI, Firefox, Chrome and safari.
Jim, I also recommend you change the style sheets to match banner colors.

@ :suck: LMAO

Mr. P
09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Tested in EI, Firefox, Chrome and safari.
Jim, I also recommend you change the style sheets to match banner colors.

@ :suck: LMAO

Yer EVIL!:laugh2:

Gaffer
09-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm using firefox. Will try clearing my cache.

PostmodernProphet
09-03-2009, 05:06 PM
hmm...a change from this morning....now, in Firefox on a wide screen monitor the banner is over on the left instead of centered....

jimnyc
09-03-2009, 05:15 PM
hmm...a change from this morning....now, in Firefox on a wide screen monitor the banner is over on the left instead of centered....

Odd.... Mr. P - are you using widescreen?

In case no one figured it out, "code master" is Eddie, a good friend of mine from a few blocks away. He is the one who did the flash coding with input I gave him. Hopefully he'll help us work out the kinks... Give us a couple of days to fully work things out.

code_master
09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
What version of firefox are you using?

Mr. P
09-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Odd.... Mr. P - are you using widescreen?

In case no one figured it out, "code master" is Eddie, a good friend of mine from a few blocks away. He is the one who did the flash coding with input I gave him. Hopefully he'll help us work out the kinks... Give us a couple of days to fully work things out.

Not unless my lap-top is considered wide screen..

I'll also say that when connected to the site I have problems loading other stuff..that never happened before.

Gaffer
09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
It's interesting that I typed something in caps on a thread and it came up posted in lower case. HMMMMM all typed in caps to see if it happens again.

Nope it didn't happen this time.

Mr. P
09-03-2009, 08:19 PM
I said "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT"! Did he listen? NOoooooooooooo. :laugh2:

Gaffer
09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I said "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT"! Did he listen? NOoooooooooooo. :laugh2:

:lol: Gotta spread the rep.

PostmodernProphet
09-04-2009, 07:23 AM
what version of firefox are you using?

now it's loading every time I do something....open a thread, reply, edit, etc.....

Mr. P
09-04-2009, 07:38 AM
what version of firefox are you using?

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 07:40 AM

now it's loading every time I do something....open a thread, reply, edit, etc.....

I temporarily have it set to load every page...

Firefox is up to 3.5 - an upgrade would be nice!!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 08:26 AM
First off, I am moving this thread to the announcements section. Those that may not be aware of this thread should have an opportunity to speak up about the future appearance of the board.

I have altered some tables and gradients to better set the theme to match the new header. It may seem a bit much at first, but try using it for a little bit and I think it'll grow on you.

The header is still animated upon every page you enter. Right now, I can only make it static or always animated - and I chose the latter so that members can see what I have intended. Very soon it will be set to "random", which means it will only load at certain intervals, and you may only see it a few times per visit.

I will further update this thread as changes are made to get feedback from you guys!

Monkeybone
09-04-2009, 09:28 AM
And now everything is red. Make my blood boil and angry with rage.

gabosaurus
09-04-2009, 01:27 PM
MY EYES!! I'M BLINDED!!! :p

I love how the new board looks, with the red border. I use Firefox and it looks great.
Kudos to Jim and anyone else involved!

-Cp
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Not diggin' the new banner/logo at all... looks sorta cheese...

-Cp
09-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Don't like the red on the site now either..

gabosaurus
09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey, if the country is going socialist, we might as well have some red in the background.
I hope the remaining blue background will be changed to green in time for Christmas.

Monkeybone
09-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey, if the country is going socialist, we might as well have some red in the background.
I hope the remaining blue background will be changed to green in time for Christmas.

Gabs might be on to something.

Maybe if Jimmy wasn't so lazy we could have different back grounds all the time, for all holidays.

plz don't ban me!

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 01:59 PM
MY EYES!! I'M BLINDED!!! :p

I love how the new board looks, with the red border. I use Firefox and it looks great.
Kudos to Jim and anyone else involved!

Thanks goes to Eddie. You'd be surprised how many lines of code it takes in Flash to do something that appears to be fairly simple. And not to mention me nagging him to make changes.

Not diggin' the new banner/logo at all... looks sorta cheese...

While this is feedback, I was looking for more of what people would like to see changed. If your idea is to scrap ALL the changes, get in line with Mr. P. Not sure he's thrilled with change either. But I didn't expect 100% approval rating across the board on any decision I make around here.

Gabs might be on to something.

Maybe if Jimmy wasn't so lazy we could have different back grounds all the time, for all holidays.

plz don't ban me!

You might see a few changes here and there. It's really not hard to put up something like a Christmas theme and make it default for a week or so.

Gaffer
09-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I like the red.

-Cp
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
While this is feedback, I was looking for more of what people would like to see changed. If your idea is to scrap ALL the changes, get in line with Mr. P. Not sure he's thrilled with change either. But I didn't expect 100% approval rating across the board on any decision I make around here.

You might see a few changes here and there. It's really not hard to put up something like a Christmas theme and make it default for a week or so.

1. Yer buddy might be good with flash, but he's clearly no design expert. The banner looks like it was made using MS Paint and doesn't speak of a quality message board. dmp could easily design a better-looking one and he's not even a "design expert"...

2. The red burns the retinas and adds an unnecessary, harsh contrast to the white background while one tries to read the text on each post.

I realize that you're clearly trying to spice things up a bit to get the board more visually attractive to perspective users, however, I don't think the changes you've implemented thus far add any qualitative value.

-Cp
09-04-2009, 03:20 PM
One other thing is that I'm still trying to figure out what the current colors of Red, White and Blue have to do with the name: Debatepolicy ?

If it's branding you want to focus in on Jim, you may want to consider a site name-change that's more reflective of the actual content here.

We hardly debate any policies with forums like:

Food/Wine
Photography
Health
Science
Religion
The Great outdoors
Fix it yourself
Pro Sports
College sports
Movies
Music
Humor

Etc... While each of these forums in and of themselves are certainly fun topics, they don't help add to the "brand" of debate policy as there's very little debating of ANY policies in those forums. In those examples, the name of "debate policy" seems a bit odd.

I also realize that you'll probably take this feedback as a bit harsh, however, my intent is to help pick your brain to think of ideas to do the following:

1. Pick your "brand" (Site identity / Naming)
2. Implement forums and threads that support that "brand"
3. Implement color-schemes / site themes that add value to the "brand" and ultimately to the readers you want to attract.

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
1. Yer buddy might be good with flash, but he's clearly no design expert. The banner looks like it was made using MS Paint and doesn't speak of a quality message board. dmp could easily design a better-looking one and he's not even a "design expert"...

2. The red burns the retinas and adds an unnecessary, harsh contrast to the white background while one tries to read the text on each post.

I realize that you're clearly trying to spice things up a bit to get the board more visually attractive to perspective users, however, I don't think the changes you've implemented thus far add any qualitative value.

One other thing is that I'm still trying to figure out what the current colors of Red, White and Blue have to do with the name: Debatepolicy ?

If it's branding you want to focus in on Jim, you may want to consider a site name-change that's more reflective of the actual content here.

We hardly debate any policies with forums like:

Food/Wine
Photography
Health
Science
Religion
The Great outdoors
Fix it yourself
Pro Sports
College sports
Movies
Music
Humor

Etc... While each of these forums in and of themselves are certainly fun topics, they don't help add to the "brand" of debate policy as there's very little debating of ANY policies in those forums. In those examples, the name of "debate policy" seems a bit odd.

I also realize that you'll probably take this feedback as a bit harsh, however, my intent is to help pick your brain to think of ideas to do the following:

1. Pick your "brand" (Site identity / Naming)
2. Implement forums and threads that support that "brand"
3. Implement color-schemes / site themes that add value to the "brand" and ultimately to the readers you want to attract.

Thanks for your constructive feedback. But we've done quite well the way we are over the years. I'm happy and those that I care about are happy. It's a message board for fun for cripes sake, this isn't a business for me.

And while you may publicly choose to scorn another's work, I have seen what you have done before, and you a far from someone who is in a position to critique others. You've never offered anything towards "design" for this site, never contributed - but are generally the first to complain about things.

I ASKED Eddie to keep it simple, and I ASKED him to do exactly what you see. He did it 100% correctly and cleaner than most others would. He could have done better, but this is what I asked him to do for me. Critique my choices if you like, but to put down another about his skills when you know zilch about him is in poor taste.

-Cp
09-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your constructive feedback. But we've done quite well the way we are over the years. I'm happy and those that I care about are happy. It's a message board for fun for cripes sake, this isn't a business for me.

And while you may publicly choose to scorn another's work, I have seen what you have done before, and you a far from someone who is in a position to critique others. You've never offered anything towards "design" for this site, never contributed - but are generally the first to complain about things.

I ASKED Eddie to keep it simple, and I ASKED him to do exactly what you see. He did it 100% correctly and cleaner than most others would. He could have done better, but this is what I asked him to do for me. Critique my choices if you like, but to put down another about his skills when you know zilch about him is in poor taste.

Sorry about that - From the way you billed it in the OP I figured that you had the design-work done by him...

Additionally, you couldn't have ever seen "my work" because I don't do design or flash but that doesn't mean I don't know what looks good and what doesn't.

If you go back thru this thread Jim, I was far from the first to complain and I KNEW you'd take it as complaining rather than feedback.

I'm not sure why you ask for feedback and then when someone tries to offer that and more you always come back with these kinds of responses. It's your site, yup and if that's what you wanna do - great, just don't bother to ask for feedback if you're just going to always shoot it down when it's something that doesn't tickle your ears.

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Sorry about that - From the way you billed it in the OP I figured that you had the design-work done by him...

Additionally, you couldn't have ever seen "my work" because I don't do design or flash but that doesn't mean I don't know what looks good and what doesn't.

If you go back thru this thread Jim, I was far from the first to complain and I KNEW you'd take it as complaining rather than feedback.

I'm not sure why you ask for feedback and then when someone tries to offer that and more you always come back with these kinds of responses. It's your site, yup and if that's what you wanna do - great, just don't bother to ask for feedback if you're just going to always shoot it down when it's something that doesn't tickle your ears.

I wanted feedback about the design I was working with, not to have a friend put down for his hours of effort. And not one person put down Eddie's credentials until you spoke up. Telling me you would prefer an alternate design, or different colors - that would be feedback and what you would like to see going forward. Stating "Your buddy is clearly no design expert" is simply a comment towards someONE and not someTHING.

And I'm sorry, your entire posts didn't come off as feedback to me, which was meant to be about the current design and going forward. It seemed to be more about stating the designer wasn't an expert and I had issues with the way I have the board setup.

Those that have a true and general interest in specifically what they might like to see going forward, please shoot me a PM and I will do my best to work with you.

Again, this is not a business for me. This is a hobby that I am dedicated to. There are varying stages of the board due to trying to please as many members as possible (to an extent at least). If you don't like a forum, don't enter it. If you don't like the site name, PM me and I can show you how to never see it again and watch the name magically appear as numbers for you! If you don't like the board look - scroll all the way to the bottom of the board on the left hand side - there are a few designs for you to choose from. If none of that helps, close your eyes, click your heels 3 times and dream of a better site - because I can't deliver miracles, which in itself would be doing something that would please every single member of the board.

code_master
09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
This is Eddie,

First, Jimmy you're waaaay too nice. For a free site you guys are lucky that the host is actually listening your input.
First of a lil about me; I am Rich Internet Application Developer, banners are not my specialty, it is for designers. Plus there is no money in making banner, for those of you that don't know what RIA development is, I make programs so designers can use them to create banners!

I am not a designer, that is why I asked jimmy for the design ideas and in turn he asked you guys. Most of you have been pretty helpful, others have taken advantage of jimmy's nice personality!

@ -Cp
And as far as all your designer input, where are your credentials? are you a designer, developer, programmer, coder or just a poorly informed yet highly opinionated person!

For the rest of you, you are going to notice some major changes on this site in the upcoming weeks....hope you like'em.

Cheerio

Missileman
09-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Might I recommend that you swap the images of the constitution and Mt. Rushmore.

PostmodernProphet
09-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm not a fan of the red....

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Might I recommend that you swap the images of the constitution and Mt. Rushmore.

As in swap places on the header, or swap them altogether for new images?

Assuming the header stays as is, what would you recommend for the coloring for the borders. I think it would be nice to have the color "match" the header and give the board a "theme".

Missileman
09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
As in swap places on the header, or swap them altogether for new images?

Swap places...it will get the lettering out of Abe's and Teddy's face and make the DE standout better

Mr. P
09-04-2009, 09:07 PM
What a F'kin soap opera! :poke: :laugh2:

BTW... still loading on the left for me...and I'm NOT and WILL NOT be updating anything..it worked fine before. It also seems to be having an affect on my puter memory...odd that, but I lose connections with remote puters now and that never happened before the change.

As far as CP getting in line with me..WTF?...you ask for feedback on change an I gave it! If ya don't want it don't ask.

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Swap places...it will get the lettering out of Abe's and Teddy's face and make the DE standout better

They've been swapped. Delete your cache / temporary internet files if you don't see the change.

jimnyc
09-04-2009, 09:12 PM
What a F'kin soap opera! :poke: :laugh2:

BTW... still loading on the left for me...and I'm NOT and WILL NOT be updating anything..it worked fine before. It also seems to be having an affect on my puter memory...odd that, but I lose connections with remote puters now and that never happened before the change.

As far as CP getting in line with me..WTF?...you ask for feedback on change an I gave it! If ya don't want it don't ask.

As all the browsers upgrade their versions, the coders go along with the browsers. While I don't like changing either, you can run into a lot of issues on sites with an outdated browser.

And my comment to -Cp was that if he wanted me to 86 the project altogether, he could get in line with you, as in you already voted that way to. It wasn't meant to be insulting in any way.

Sir Evil
09-05-2009, 07:39 AM
:laugh2:

What a bunch of dicks!

Noir
09-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I like the red, gives the site quite a crisp, clean look methinks.

Abbey Marie
09-05-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm late to the party on this, and I am in the unenviable position of following Sir Evil's post above :coffee:, but here goes anyway:

I like the new banner/header/whateveryoucallit at the top. Especially the Declaration of Ind. I like the whole design, the animation, etc. Nice job Jim & your programmer! It does make my page loads slower, though.

Thanks to MrsKP for suggesting the removal of Obama's image, and to Jim for doing it. Mt. Rushmore was an inspired choice to replace it. Jim, in my experience, you can't go wrong listening to MrsKP.

However, I find the new red borders very bright and difficult to look at, and unfortunately, difficult to avoid looking at. As for a suggestion for a different color, it's hard to judge without seeing it first. I could safely say that going back to the old color scheme for the borders would be very nice and soothing.

Btw, I am very glad that we do not have a board with a black background, Those are very difficult to read and kind of depressing to me.

jimnyc
09-05-2009, 08:07 AM

However, I find the new red borders very bright and difficult to look at, and unfortunately, difficult to avoid looking at. As for a suggestion for a different color, it's hard to judge without seeing it first. I could safely say that going back to the old color scheme for the borders would be very nice and soothing.

I am aware that you guys have spoke up thus far regarding the red border colors. As you can see, others have spoken up that they like it. It's hard to find something that everyone will like, as it's really a personal preference.

I'll work on something a little softer. Something that will still mesh the borders with the header, but easier on the eyes. Give me a little time...

jimnyc
09-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Until I can find a color scheme that more agree on, I have mellowed it out a bit with a more blue color, closer to what it was.

gabosaurus
09-05-2009, 10:03 AM
You all suck. The red border was great.
I am hereby recommending that Jim change the board colors to black and gold.

jimnyc
09-05-2009, 10:54 PM
I changed the borders to a "not so bright" red. Let's try it for a couple of days and see how everyone feels then.

crin63
09-06-2009, 01:07 AM
I love the header like I said previously and the red looks great but it messes with my brain. I think because its such a drastic contrast it causes something of a split focus for me. It almost makes me nauseated. I'll try it again when I'm not tired and see if it gets any better.

red states rule
09-06-2009, 06:47 AM
Great new colors Jim. I love the red boarders, and the new header

MtnBiker
09-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I changed the borders to a "not so bright" red. Let's try it for a couple of days and see how everyone feels then.

I like it Jim, this color of red is better.

jimnyc
09-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I also made the header "static" for now. The only animation is the glow going back and for through the lettering. Also, if you run your mouse over any picture it will come to the forefront for better viewing.

Do you guys like it better static with little animation, or have it load randomly where the line draws and then the name scrolls up?

emmett
09-06-2009, 05:05 PM
OK....here it goes.

I have chosen to wait until others chimed in. I recommended so many changes I guess ...or.....ideas, whatever, I wanted to wait and see what everybody else thought.

I think: (drum rolls)

- Still not enough "liberal" looking stuff on the front. Too military.....I love the military and love the Constitution, also love Mt. Rushmore, no problem there but it still screams "conservative" website. Just my opinion.

- The work is very nice. The red is a bit bright, it's funny.....I liked it when I first logged on but after a while it got "bright".

- The header also doesn't show any women. I realize one can't depict woman these days in any capacity except wearing a hardhat and running a construction crew, sitting at the head of a corporate lunch table, etc,.;.; or it is politically incorrect, meaning of course that we can;t show women in the kitchen cooking dinner or anything. I wouldn't think of something so demeaning as to suggest women would want to cook dinner for the family, don;t get me wrong. I realize the liberals would be all over us. Not that I care.

- My ideas of making the site a bity more "liberal looking" were for the obvious reasons. Frankly I love the header and think it looks grrrrreeeeaat!!!! I do think we should have women on the banner. I think we should put a barefoot....pregnate...long haired women that looks like June Clever with an apron on the banner shown washing dishes with a stove in the background. LOL

emmett
09-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Maybe we could add......

a hand coming out of the corner.....squeezing her on the buttocks gently. LOL.

Just kidding girls!

emmett
09-06-2009, 05:40 PM
On a serious note.....

Anyone who wants to get rid of the red can go down to the bottom left of the page and change it back to default. So if the red is all you don;t like .... you don;t have to look at it.

jimnyc
09-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I love the header like I said previously and the red looks great but it messes with my brain. I think because its such a drastic contrast it causes something of a split focus for me. It almost makes me nauseated. I'll try it again when I'm not tired and see if it gets any better.

I'm trying to find a blend of a darker red that isn't sore on the eyes, like a blood red. I can deal with this one for now....

Great new colors Jim. I love the red boarders, and the new header

Thanks

I like it Jim, this color of red is better.

Thanks to you 2!

OK....here it goes.

I have chosen to wait until others chimed in. I recommended so many changes I guess ...or.....ideas, whatever, I wanted to wait and see what everybody else thought.

I think: (drum rolls)

- Still not enough "liberal" looking stuff on the front. Too military.....I love the military and love the Constitution, also love Mt. Rushmore, no problem there but it still screams "conservative" website. Just my opinion.

- The work is very nice. The red is a bit bright, it's funny.....I liked it when I first logged on but after a while it got "bright".

- The header also doesn't show any women. I realize one can't depict woman these days in any capacity except wearing a hardhat and running a construction crew, sitting at the head of a corporate lunch table, etc,.;.; or it is politically incorrect, meaning of course that we can;t show women in the kitchen cooking dinner or anything. I wouldn't think of something so demeaning as to suggest women would want to cook dinner for the family, don;t get me wrong. I realize the liberals would be all over us. Not that I care.

- My ideas of making the site a bity more "liberal looking" were for the obvious reasons. Frankly I love the header and think it looks grrrrreeeeaat!!!! I do think we should have women on the banner. I think we should put a barefoot....pregnate...long haired women that looks like June Clever with an apron on the banner shown washing dishes with a stove in the background. LOL

Emmett, your extensive feedback has not been ignored or overlooked. The pictures you see up there now are certainly not permanent. I will certainly toss a few of your ideas in there. While I can change them easily at any time, I'd also like to have some finality to the header. I'll let you know as anything changes.

On a serious note.....

Anyone who wants to get rid of the red can go down to the bottom left of the page and change it back to default. So if the red is all you don;t like .... you don;t have to look at it.

Also, if you go into your user control panel, then choose "edit options", the last choice on this page is what style you would like to use. If you prefer the blue borders, choose "default" and you will always see the blue when logged in.

jimnyc
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Emmett - clear your temporary internet files and reload, let me know what you think of the 2 pictures I changed.

This goes for everyone else as well, but I made the changes based on Emmett's feedback.

jackass
09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Emmett - clear your temporary internet files and reload, let me know what you think of the 2 pictures I changed.

This goes for everyone else as well, but I made the changes based on Emmett's feedback.

Dude...what are you doing...shes CLOTHED!!! :poke:

:laugh2:

emmett
09-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Now that is exactly what I was referring to. Excellent work. Now we have a banner that speaks to alot of hats.

Thanks for the kudos Jim>

emmett
09-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Not that I am getting a fat head or anything but I do have just one more suggestion.

The banner is now superb.....LOOKS GREAT! However if there could be two more boxes to the outside, (move the American Flag and capitol out of course to ends but put in two more pictures) one on each side.

One would have....... a picture of some guys standing around at a construction site, maybe a couple of them of different persuasions all wearing hardhats or something

The other would be a picture of a truck driver , maybe with his wife (co-driver) standing in front of their truck. Truck drivers are a huge....HUGE....chat site patronage group and I would like to lure them. We have some truck drivers on here to debate things with them and could possibly even have a trucking thread for them all to debate different issues on between themselves. There are alot of armchair politicians in trucks, both left and right, would be a good lure I think.

How about a law enforcement thread too / EMT ? Firefighter / etc,....

A picture of them could come up only on that thread?????? Maybe a firefighter carrying a kid, a cop, an ambulance and some pictures related to their profession,etc,...

Again...just sounding off. I love designing stuff man, this has really stimulated my interest big time! Problem is I am a technodummie, I can think of it.....just can't do it and need a pro to make it happen. Obviously Jim found a pro.........

maineman
09-08-2009, 08:53 PM
it's your board Jim.... you do what makes you happy, and my guess is, that a board owned by a happy owner will attract interesting people.

gabosaurus
09-11-2009, 12:09 PM
it's your board Jim.... you do what makes you happy, and my guess is, that a board owned by a happy owner will attract interesting people.

Thanks, Virgil. Do you spit or swallow?

jimnyc
09-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Virgil. Do you spit or swallow?

:popcorn:

Kathianne
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Not that I am getting a fat head or anything but I do have just one more suggestion.

The banner is now superb.....LOOKS GREAT! However if there could be two more boxes to the outside, (move the American Flag and capitol out of course to ends but put in two more pictures) one on each side.

One would have....... a picture of some guys standing around at a construction site, maybe a couple of them of different persuasions all wearing hardhats or something

The other would be a picture of a truck driver , maybe with his wife (co-driver) standing in front of their truck. Truck drivers are a huge....HUGE....chat site patronage group and I would like to lure them. We have some truck drivers on here to debate things with them and could possibly even have a trucking thread for them all to debate different issues on between themselves. There are alot of armchair politicians in trucks, both left and right, would be a good lure I think.

How about a law enforcement thread too / EMT ? Firefighter / etc,....

A picture of them could come up only on that thread?????? Maybe a firefighter carrying a kid, a cop, an ambulance and some pictures related to their profession,etc,...

Again...just sounding off. I love designing stuff man, this has really stimulated my interest big time! Problem is I am a technodummie, I can think of it.....just can't do it and need a pro to make it happen. Obviously Jim found a pro.........

A-hem... perhaps a teacher? LOL! Maybe a nerdy guy at his computer, smoking cigs and wearing pajamas? :smoke:

hjmick
09-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Maybe a nerdy guy at his computer, smoking cigs and wearing pajamas? :smoke:

You been watchin' me?

Kathianne
09-11-2009, 06:44 PM
You been watchin' me?

All over you! :smoke:

hjmick
09-11-2009, 06:52 PM
All over you! :smoke:

Damn, need to close the blinds...

Mr. P
09-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Still loads on the left for me on two different puters.

I also lose remote connections with other puters if I sign in here. That never happened with the old Banner..I guess the new one takes more memory?

Kathianne
09-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Damn, need to close the blinds...

You are hot. Wife should turn hose on you. ;)

-Cp
09-25-2009, 05:56 PM
This is Eddie,

First, Jimmy you're waaaay too nice. For a free site you guys are lucky that the host is actually listening your input.
First of a lil about me; I am Rich Internet Application Developer, banners are not my specialty, it is for designers. Plus there is no money in making banner, for those of you that don't know what RIA development is, I make programs so designers can use them to create banners!

I am not a designer, that is why I asked jimmy for the design ideas and in turn he asked you guys. Most of you have been pretty helpful, others have taken advantage of jimmy's nice personality!

@ -Cp
And as far as all your designer input, where are your credentials? are you a designer, developer, programmer, coder or just a poorly informed yet highly opinionated person!

For the rest of you, you are going to notice some major changes on this site in the upcoming weeks....hope you like'em.

Cheerio

Just now saw this..... Don't need credentials to know if something looks good or not.

Does Simon Cowell need to be a singer to judge singers? Nope... Nor do I have to be a designer to give my opinion (feedback) on the design of the banner.

By your admission above, I totally called it - you're not a designer. That's not a bad thing and I'm sure you're quite good at coding RIA, however.

darin
09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
This site is about freedom of speech - Eddie, you WAY over-reacted about -Cp's constructive criticism; even if you didn't like whatever tone that you may have read into it. He presented his thoughts in a MUCH more valuable way than maineman's little brown-nosing comment.

We need cooler heads here on some parts. I'm not digging the color much, but I don't mind it. The banner, IMO, is pretty basic with a goofy font. Thing is, I don't much care enough to complain or suggest something else because I'm here for the content, and whatever anyone likes - ESPECIALLY what the board owner likes - is fine w/ me. :)

jimnyc
09-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Still loads on the left for me on two different puters.

I also lose remote connections with other puters if I sign in here. That never happened with the old Banner..I guess the new one takes more memory?

The left issue is definitely on your end. I had it tested on over 20 possible browsers and all display it correctly.

This site cannot (plausibly) affect your connection to other sites/computers/networks unless it had bogus code, which it does not.

In all seriousness, I know you said you didn't want to upgrade, but you really should. You wouldn't be doing so just for this site, but just about EVERY site out there is going to upgrade code as a result of browser upgrades. You can have all kinds of issues with an outdated browsers. They don't only release new versions to give you more goodies, but many times to fix security bugs and other releases to fix visual and application issues.

This header is actually a smaller load than the older one, that's the beauty of Flash.

Just now saw this..... Don't need credentials to know if something looks good or not.

Does Simon Cowell need to be a singer to judge singers? Nope... Nor do I have to be a designer to give my opinion (feedback) on the design of the banner.

By your admission above, I totally called it - you're not a designer. That's not a bad thing and I'm sure you're quite good at coding RIA, however.

As I stated earlier, there's a difference between constructive feedback which will lead to changes and/or enhancements, or posting to put someone down. Example: 1) I don't like the coloring scheme, the red is too bright. I also don't like the font as it appears "amateurish". 2) The banner sucks and I wouldn't call the person an "expert" designer and I know many others that could do better work with less time.

Do you not see the difference? When one is looking for feedback from a community, that the community in mind is why changes are being made, insults won't serve any purpose other than to irritate the person doing the FREE work.

This site is about freedom of speech - Eddie, you WAY over-reacted about -Cp's constructive criticism; even if you didn't like whatever tone that you may have read into it. He presented his thoughts in a MUCH more valuable way than maineman's little brown-nosing comment.

We need cooler heads here on some parts. I'm not digging the color much, but I don't mind it. The banner, IMO, is pretty basic with a goofy font. Thing is, I don't much care enough to complain or suggest something else because I'm here for the content, and whatever anyone likes - ESPECIALLY what the board owner likes - is fine w/ me. :)

-CP was entitled to his opinion and did exactly that. Both Eddie and I saw it as feedback, but with an insulting tone. Both of us were 100% willing to make changes based on what people threw at us (and it wasn't a lot), so we did the best we could out of our own imaginations and from the feedback. We're still willing to make changes if it's truly necessary.

It was I who made the mistake on what Eddie's specialty is. I've seen his portfolio of prior work and it was amazing, and much of it was designing as well, so I ASSumed that's what he did mostly. He does a lot just for fun, and a lot of that is "design". What his education is based on is the programming. I've since seen his work on programming as well and it's awesome, even though it confuses the hell out of me. He doesn't do barely anything graphic related, just opens notepad or similar and types in all Flash and other code by hand.

But back to the point - which was to give us "constructive" feedback which would lead to changes that the majority of the board would like to see. If you go through this thread, which has a lot of posts, you'll see a lot of criticism or compliments, but not a lot of feedback and what specifically people would like to see. While stating that the font is goofy is absolutely feedback we would like to see, tossing out some ideas or pointing out a specific font would be nice too, but of course not mandatory. I can easily have him change the font, but I believe you're the first to speak up on that issue - and I take your feedback seriously as I consider you to be an expert on graphics as well.

No feuds, no hard feelings. I have no issue with anyone, nor do I want one. Just want a pleasant conversation about the "look" of the board, and what I can deliver to the community to make their stay here more enjoyable.

My apologies to -Cp or anyone else I might have offended with my "attitude" towards feedback here. People want different things and it's difficult to have it all come together and please everyone.

Mr. P
09-26-2009, 09:10 AM
The left issue is definitely on your end. I had it tested on over 20 possible browsers and all display it correctly.

I donno, I've loaded the site on 3 different puters with 2 different isps and all load on the left. It doesn't matter I'm not here for the header anyway.

jimnyc
09-26-2009, 09:15 AM
I donno, I've loaded the site on 3 different puters with 2 different isps and all load on the left. It doesn't matter I'm not here for the header anyway.

ISP wouldn't matter... Is it possible your other computers have outdated browsers as well? It's just odd when one or 2 people would see the issue and everyone else is fine. But I do agree with your last part! :coffee:

jimnyc
09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
I am going to put up examples of other fonts we can choose. If you know the name of a font you would like to see, post it. I'll post 10 at a time and see if we can come to an agreement. I'll post more as time goes on if necessary. Here's 10 examples to start with:

http://i33.tinypic.com/309li4k.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2yjxxqg.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2j14xtt.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/1zevy47.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/152c0vt.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/315c0wi.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ns1hdz.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/34iid12.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/1t1lsl.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/119yp1h.jpg

Joyful HoneyBee
09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Mr. P

Try checking your zoom settings under View in the menu.

Or hold your Ctrl key and scroll your mouse button up and down to see if that fixes the appearance on the screen.

A quick way to resume default settings it to press Ctrl + 0 (zero)

jimnyc
09-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Here are 9 more

http://i37.tinypic.com/ipntde.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/a9lc3t.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/34dm005.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/s3he8j.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/s62dqu.jpg

http://i34.tinypic.com/2cibpkk.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/104onih.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2j1n5g6.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2rnh547.jpg

crin63
09-26-2009, 10:52 AM
This may be way too goofy an idea, or too busy, I don't know.

What about eliminating the blue background and replacing it with the Constitution? Have the, "We The People" in the top left corner and the Debate policy header offset to the right or with a transparency to be able to read the, "We The People". Have a sticky of the Constitution as the very first thing under General or Politics.

Regardless the topic this board is about freedom of speech.

jimnyc
09-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I can't imagine that too many are upset with the change or font, or I'm sure they would have spoken up in this thread. I've offered to change the font to whatever ya'll wanted, specifically doing so because of a complaint - but yet not one single person has posted a thing about it since I offered examples or asked to give me font names. I'm certainly not going to pull teeth for feedback. It'll stay as is since really only one person complained about the work done, and another has an issue with alignment.

jimnyc
09-30-2009, 10:21 PM
BTW - if anyone knows of an addition they would like to see to the board, or any changes, please shoot me a PM. I'm no longer going to go out of my way with polls and feedback threads when no on can be bothered to reply. I do the things I do for the community, not for myself. If the community can't show an interest, then it's not worth my time to wrestle with changes.